Jump to content
rmaynard

My Spine Surgery

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

That's good news Bob. The healing part, not the tractor part. Surely with time you'll gain more movement and get back on your Wheel Horses...........won't you?

I asked the doc why so many people that have had this surgery end up having more surgery later. His answer was simple. They didn't follow their doctor's advice. Simple. I don't want to go through another surgery and recovery like this again in my lifetime if I can help it. I am pain-free now, and I want to keep it that way. If that means giving up the hobby, so be it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob I am glad that you back continues to improve . Don't give up the hobby yet with all the brains in this group there has got to be a way for you to back up with out twisting.  I don't thing you will need big ole truck mirrors but I am sure the guys will come up with a solution. Keep smiling.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob i have had 2 back sugurys and have "Shermanns Kyphosis" in my spine ,, i feel your struggle buddy,, what i do is instead of twisting my back to look behind me i just twist my ass,, slides easy on vinyl i just turn my whole body you get used to it after a while and becomes second nature , so when ya feel up to it give that a whip it has worked for me ,, another thing is i  sometimes just look down between my arm pit,, so there is no body movement at all ,, i hope these 2 little pointers help buddy ,,best of luck..

Edited by Phatboy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I asked the doc why so many people that have had this surgery end up having more surgery later. His answer was simple. They didn't follow their doctor's advice. Simple. I don't want to go through another surgery and recovery like this again in my lifetime if I can help it. I am pain-free now, and I want to keep it that way. If that means giving up the hobby, so be it. 

Hi Bob, I'm new to this site, but I've been a :wh: owner for 30 yrs.  Clinically we are close at heat.  My daughter in law who is 38 has had two back fusions in the last four years with another one coming soon. ( You can trace that back to her dad and agent orange in Nam.)  I know what that kind or pain can do to your life.  Myself I've had both hips replaced in Feb. and Nov. of 2013. As far as your hobby is concerned, let someone else do the wrenching, you do the riding.  OK.  I pray that your recovery continues.  Stay strong and get your exercise.   B)

Edited by Retired Sparky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well s**t Bob, this latest news is definitely NOT what I wanted to hear from you.  I hope you'll be able to stay involved with the Wheel Horse scene, and continue to share your knowledge and experience, and fun stories, with the rest of us.  Is there a chance we'll still see you at future Big Shows?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn all the "experienced voices" we are losing!!

 

I guess that is just 'time marching on' -- Bob, real glad you are pain free and having had occasional back pains in the past I totally understand any decision you make to keep yourself in a pain free state

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Well s**t Bob, this latest news is definitely NOT what I wanted to hear from you.  I hope you'll be able to stay involved with the Wheel Horse scene, and continue to share your knowledge and experience, and fun stories, with the rest of us.  Is there a chance we'll still see you at future Big Shows?

 

Without a doubt I will be at the big show. Right now I'm in a funk. I'm sure things will get better. Don't worry, you can't get rid of me that easy.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob, glad your 12 week check up was good. Being eight months out from my surgery I know that the gains have been slow, but there have been gains in flexibility and stamina. I have had to come up with new techniques for some things and others just have to be done by others. You will find new ways to approach tasks that require bending, twisting and lifting. Looking forward to meeting you at the "Big Show".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Without a doubt I will be at the big show. Right now I'm in a funk. I'm sure things will get better. Don't worry, you can't get rid of me that easy.

I'm sure a few leisurely strolls around the show grounds will cure any "funk" your in.

Glad to hear the mending is going good!

Mike.........

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2015 at 11:01 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

At least you can find parts tractor, slim pickens in Central Va.

Slim Pickens,,,,,didnt he play music???   When in VA,,,you have to travel....Jim know this,,,just like i do...

 

                  Howard in Virginia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear your checkup went well, Bob and really looking forward to meeting you in June. I hate to hear you're considering selling some of your collection and I'm thinking Mike might be right about taking that stroll around the show grounds. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get one of those bicycle helmets with the mirrors on them. Have Terry make you some custom decals and keep on tractorin! :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Yesterday was my 6 month check-up following my surgery. Doctor says that everything is looking great. I feel good, but I am still limiting my Wheel Horse activities until I reach that magical 1 year point where the fusion should be 100%. :dance:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great news Bob. Also a very smart decision to take it easy. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear Bob. :thumbs2:   Sounds like you'll be back to your old self in no time. You're doing the right  thing by not rushing it though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rmaynard said:

6 month check-up following my surgery. Doctor says that everything is looking great.

:woohoo:   Great news, I go in for my one year spine fusion check up in a couple of weeks. I have been increasing my activity, but being smart about what I do and don't do.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was good to see you "back in the saddle" at the Little Guys Bob.  Give it another year before you try this though.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Update: Yesterday was my 6 month check-up following my surgery. Doctor says that everything is looking great. I feel good, but I am still limiting my Wheel Horse activities until I reach that magical 1 year point where the fusion should be 100%. :dance:

 

Yea, don't rush it, better to be healthy (and with less pain).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×