PaulC

Pimped my Plow

Ed Kennell

Really nice rig Paul.   Can we get a few more details on the actuator and the mounting?

• Like 3

RedRanger

Just don't try to adjust the actuator while pushing or with snow against the blade.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Is the actuator waterproof?

Is there a retaining pin once the blade is angled or does the actuator take all the abuse?

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor

We'll see when Paul comes back with more information. It looks like an HD actuator similar to the ones on Johnny Bucket. They have a 1-1/8 shaft and should be as strong as a hydraulic cylinder of similar size.

• Like 3

DougC
1 hour ago, ekennell said:

Really nice rig Paul.   Can we get a few more details on the actuator and the mounting?

Yes please on more details Paul. I want to do that to my blade as well.     :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

PaulC
50 minutes ago, ekennell said:

Thanks Ed :handgestures-thumbupright: I got the actuator from amazon, here is the link http://www.amazon.com/WINDYNATION-Actuator-Maximum-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B012EFMPRE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1447244536&sr=8-9&keywords=linear+actuator+4+inch+stroke. Planning to control it with a momentary toggle switch similar to what :wh: did with the electric lift kit for manual tractors, amazon has let me down with that one though it was supposed to be here last Wednesday.

The mounting turned out easier then I expected. I utilized the brackets that came with the actuator and only had to drill 1 new hole in the plow frame, which is the fixed end. The other end, the one that pivots, I utilized the existing hole on the top side of where the 1/2 rod of the original linkage used to attach. I used a 5/16 bolt with a series of washers and nuts to get it up high enough to clear when turned and used bronze washers on top and below the bracket to aid in the pivoting.

48 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Just don't try to adjust the actuator while pushing or with snow against the blade.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Is the actuator waterproof?

Red the actuator is supposed to be able to withstand harsh conditions so I expect it to hold up fine in that regard. My concern is the fact that the actuator is whats going to hold the angle of the plow, I had to drop the lock pin. Its a nice feature because I now have infinite angle positioning instead of the 3 fixed positions but it started to creep into my head if there's potential of back-driving the actuator enough to break it?

28 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

We'll see when Paul comes back with more information. It looks like an HD actuator similar to the ones on Johnny Bucket. They have a 1-1/8 shaft and should be as strong as a hydraulic cylinder of similar size.

John it is pretty heavy duty for its size with over 300lb static force and I have a feeling with the way I mounted it utilizing the brackets it came with(which aren't heavy duty) that the brackets will fail before the actuator....hopefully at least

10 minutes ago, DougC said:

Yes please on more details Paul. I want to do that to my blade as well.     :handgestures-thumbupright:

Doug and everyone else I will take and post some close up photos of the actuator and mounting. I never seem to think of my forum thread making while im working so I never step back to take the photos that will help tell the story.

• Like 7

Wishin4a416

It looks like new. Nice job!!

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@PaulC Very nice addition to your snow plow.

Looks like you are ready for "Ole Man Winter"!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:eek:   Looks like Xzibit hooked your :wh: up.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

p185305_b_v7_aa.jpg

• Like 2

PaulC

Thanks guys!! Here are some close ups of the actuator. I had to cut the corner off the bracket closest to the blade to clear the springimage.thumb.jpeg.406b5eb4971942b8e033b93image.thumb.jpeg.53a0151557729395eab72abimage.thumb.jpeg.de08be04426d11ff0d70f14

• Like 8

AMC RULES

Any way we can get...   :scratchead:

a little video of it in action Paul? 

• Like 1

PaulC
44 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Any way we can get...   

a little video of it in action Paul? 

There was supposed to be a video in the first post I'm just realizing it didn't work now! I loaded that one from the computer and now trying with the phone but it won't finish loading??

Edited by PaulC

Ed Kennell

It works for me Paul.    Using Mozilla.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I like seeing the 312's fitted up for serious work of any kind. 

• Like 1

clip

Subscribed for video.

• Like 1

PaulC
9 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

I like seeing the 312's fitted up for serious work of any kind. 

Im dying to push snow with this setup! This machine has been very solid for me and moved a lot of snow via a blower but now I have 2 417's that the blowers are on so the trusty 312 will be the plow machine. Going to make up some wheel weights soon that will hopefully fit in behind the hub caps so I can keep the chrome :handgestures-thumbupright: 

27 minutes ago, clip said:

Subscribed for video.

There is a video attached to the first post. I can watch it through internet explorer but it would not play on my iphone. Ekennell said it worked with firefox too. I tried to post another with my iphone but it wouldn't finish loading and allow me to post :confusion-scratchheadyellow: 

DougC

Your blade moves faster than I figured it would. Do you think ramming into a pile of snow with the blade straight would damage actuator? I tend to be quite rough on plows............:lol:

• Like 1

TDF5G

Just watched your video. That is cool!  I'll bet your ready for some snow now!

• Like 1

PaulC
2 hours ago, DougC said:

Your blade moves faster than I figured it would. Do you think ramming into a pile of snow with the blade straight would damage actuator? I tend to be quite rough on plows............:lol:

It looks pretty slick in the video but it is a bit slow. The actuator is 10mm/sec so about 5 seconds to go from full angle to straight or 10 seconds from full right to full left. I would say its comparable to turning the chute on a blower with the worm gear setup. The nice part about this setup though is that I don't have to go to full angle which leads into your second question. I had to drop the lock pin so the actuator in theory at any position could potentially see the load from slamming into something. Only time will tell if it will be able to hold up to it. Talked this over with my dad and he mentioned about adding a solenoid to replace the lock pin but im hoping it doesn't come to that.

2 hours ago, TDF5G said:

Just watched your video. That is cool!  I'll bet your ready for some snow now!

Thanks and yes!!! This is the first year with the plow so im curious about the tractors pushing capability but also curious about this actuator setup too.

• Like 1

TDF5G

If you've never pushed snow with a :wh:, then you're in for some fun IMO.  It's the most fun I have with my tractor.  If you can get traction, it will push a lot of snow.  

I had my tractor for a few years before I bought a dozer blade.  The first few years I went around and plowed neighbors and relatives driveways pushing all the snow I could find! :lol:  I always look forward to pushing snow, it's a chance to get out of the house in the winter and do something, although I don't like it when it's real cold.  It's the only part of winter that I enjoy.

• Like 2

PaulC
43 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

If you've never pushed snow with a :wh:, then you're in for some fun IMO.  It's the most fun I have with my tractor.  If you can get traction, it will push a lot of snow.  

I had my tractor for a few years before I bought a dozer blade.  The first few years I went around and plowed neighbors and relatives driveways pushing all the snow I could find! :lol:  I always look forward to pushing snow, it's a chance to get out of the house in the winter and do something, although I don't like it when it's real cold.  It's the only part of winter that I enjoy.

This is great to hear! I moved a lot of snow over the past few years with my horses but just been with the blower attachments, but I agree I have a lot of fun doing it. I did push a little bit of dirt with it and then mashed my giant leave pile back further into the woods and I was really surprised at how well it did, and it was with no chains or added weight. You can see I now have the chains on but I have yet to add any weight. I have never needed extra weight but I think I definitely should add some for the plow. I have a drawing made up to make some out of 1/2" or 3/4" plate from work to the smaller diameter of the wheel so hopefully they will fit in behind the chrome hub caps. Im figuring I can get to 2-2 1/2 inches thick on each side which should add in the neighborhood of 50lbs to each side. Lots of :wh: fun for me in the future :handgestures-thumbupright:

TDF5G

I've always plowed with chains on AG cleat tires, no weights with my B-80.  I want try out the new-to-me B-100 this year for pushing snow.  I'm gonna try turf tires and chains, which seems to be the general consensus for traction here on the forum.  I've got some front and rear weights to try out also.   The B-80 seemed to lose traction on the front end.   

I've got these rear weights, don't know what brand they are.   I'd like to find some cast WH rear weights to match my front ones.  

Never used a snow thrower on the WH, I may hunt one down some day.

CAST WEIGHT 002.JPG

CAST WEIGHT 004.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

DougC

Paul, you should be able to push snow up to the headlights with the chains on. It's just amazing what they will do. The rear mount I think is the reason they work so well. I have a new to me '78 single stage blower to try this year. But will mainly use the blade cause thats the one the cabs on.............:lol: 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Paul, those brackets do look like the weak point. That is the same one I used on my chute deflector. There are these two sizes of cast brackets at Surplus Center as an alternative.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Concentric-International/LINEAR-ACTUATOR-MOUNTING-BRACKET-LIGHT-DUTY-5-1577-B.axd

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Concentric-International/ID-SERIES-LINEAR-ACTUATOR-MOUNTING-BRACKET-5-1679-B.axd

• Like 1

PaulC

Well I got the switch installed and wired up put it right next to the light switch. image.thumb.jpeg.eca3392815231e13570e870Got a neat little twist together quick disconnect from work  for when removing image.thumb.jpeg.c0cf718e28a8a2e4d2e50f9

Then once I started playing around with it some more I decided the brackets it came with had to go. The plow was moving all over the place because of all the movement in the brackets. I decided to do what I thought from the get go and turn the actuator on its side and figured out a pin setup it could rotate on. I had to drill a new hole on the frame for the rear mount and I just used a bolt with a stack of 3 nuts to get the height I needed image.thumb.jpeg.1f5e5ee198d8bf07dd9697a

For the front mount I still used the existing hole for the original linkage. The hole is 5/8 so I took a piece of 5/8 threaded rod and bored a 5/16 hole in the end, then crossed drilled an 1/8 hole for a hitch pin. Then for my pin for the actuator I used some 5/16 aluminum rod. I'm hoping this will act as a shear pin in the event I whack something so I made a few extras while I was at it. image.thumb.jpeg.11d64f73b478868da9e73f1

im much happier with this setup there isn't much play in the blade anymore. Everything seems a lot stronger too I pushed pretty good on one side of the blade and the actuator didn't budge. image.thumb.jpeg.cc473acdc39f5115db4c905

So besides the wheel weights I still want to make for this rig I think I'm all ready and just waiting to push some snow. None in the forecast though and at this time last year we already had several feet come and go. I'm sure I'll get my chance though 

• Like 4