PaulC

Pimped my Plow

PaulC
34 minutes ago, Tankman said:

When installing the actuator did you install at 1/2 open at 90 degrees?   Full left angle, actuator fully extended? Full right angle, actuator fully closed?  :eusa-think:

Yes Tankman that is exactly how i set it up. The 4" stroke of this actuator is a touch long but not enough to be a major issue, i think 3.75" would be ideal.

13 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

I think having at the 45 degree angle lessens the stress on the actuator. But I still believe that it depends on the need to be heavy duty for this application. JB is selling them commercially with a warranty and I haven't found any complaint of them failing, other than one customer overworking the bucket.

I thought about the 45 degree angle a bit and its not making sense in my head but its obviously working for JB. Those warner actuators are a good product but in the 3-400 dollar range was way out of budget for this experiment. I would have to think you could do it with hydraulics in that price range.

• Like 1

Tankman

Thanks Paul. I was thinking along the same lines.

I'm all manual on my '90 520-8 and no problems. I'll just chew on the idea for awhile.

From Long Island, hope all's well upstate. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I'm not sure how the angle of the actuator affects the loading on it.

But it is clear the location of the attachment point from the center of the blade is directly proportional to the force on the actuator as illustrated below.

IMG_5477.JPG.d4ca470ec8694665a51286333c6

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

PaulC
1 hour ago, Tankman said:

Thanks Paul. I was thinking along the same lines.

I'm all manual on my '90 520-8 and no problems. I'll just chew on the idea for awhile.

From Long Island, hope all's well upstate. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tank there's nothing wrong with the manual linkage, its actual another very simple yet effective :wh: design, I just wanted to add some cool factor and make the plow easier to get on and off (not so sure why on that one though because like many of us i now have multiple horses). A few of us are currently chewing on this idea too so feel free to add in any of your ideas. I could always go back to the original linkage but im not ready to do that just yet.

All is well upstate except for the fact im pretty sure the Island has gotten more snow then us this year! Im an avid snowmobiler and love moving snow with my :wh: so its been a huge disappointment this year. Ive had 3 snowfalls to speak of all year totaling about 10". I think last year we had a half dozen or so snow events that totaled more then that themselves.

52 minutes ago, ekennell said:

I'm not sure how the angle of the actuator affects the loading on it.

But it is clear the location of the attachment point from the center of the blade is directly proportional to the force on the actuator as illustrated below.

IMG_5477.JPG.d4ca470ec8694665a51286333c6

Ed i appreciate the thought youve been putting into this. I have saw alot of the great engineered additions you have made to your :wh: stuff so i am waiting for you to start working on accomplishing this task as well. I am definitely around the 200lb spot in your diagram but i have learned from my job that a static load is much much different then a dynamic/impact load. The actuator was quite strong for its size it would angle the blade with the blade still on the ground but once it took what i think was a pretty light hit on the opposite side of the blade she popped like a can of snakes!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1