378Pete

Paint opinions and possibly some convincing!

378Pete

My daughter and myself are going to restore a 1960 suburban 400. We are not gonna go crazy with NOS and 100% correct. Just a sharp looking cool tractor. I am going to document the process on the forums because I know that you guys will be very instrumental with the whole process. We are in the process of gathering things we know will be needed. First day in at the store checking paint colors and she drops a bomb on me. She wants it TEAL and white. So I am looking for thoughts and comments and maybe with more than just my opinion she can be swayed to stick with the classic colors.  The reason for her decision is it is her favorite color and all her horse tack and cowgirl boots are teal and she said she wants matching horses.ThankIMG_20151105_084909156.thumb.jpg.6ecba6f

• Like 5

Brian01

IMHO, I wouldn't paint it at all...scrub it down with s.o.s. pads and oil it up.

But totally up to you and your daughter. It's your guys Tractor...if you plan on restoring it and keeping it for a long time. I say paint it whatever colors you want.

• Like 2

slammer302

I wouldn't paint it either but maybe paint the wheels. But at the end of the day its yours and you can do what ever you want with it. You maybe able to sway your daughter to maybe go with white and red or maybe vinyl guy can make you sum custom colored decals to make ur daughter happy and you can keep sum of the originality i went through this with my little girl when i painted her horse. Good luck nice looking project     

Edited by slammer302
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Maybe she's not aware...:confusion-shrug:

it's a sin to paint a :wh: green?

• Like 1

RedRanger
9 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Maybe she's not aware...:confusion-shrug:

it's a sin to paint a :wh: green?

Teal is kind of a BLUISH green though.  :D

I say go for it.  Sounds like she has her reasons and it will only make her like that little tractor more.

It can always be changed again.  I've seen pink and purple and yellow Horses on this site.

I only wish my daughter had the same interest in my hobbies.

Enjoy the time spent with your daughter and give her what she likes on this one.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 8

378Pete
22 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Teal is kind of a BLUISH green though.  :D

I say go for it.  Sounds like she has her reasons and it will only make her like that little tractor more.

It can always be changed again.  I've seen pink and purple and yellow Horses on this site.

I only wish my daughter had the same interest in my hobbies.

Enjoy the time spent with your daughter and give her what she likes on this one.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

And we all know that is exactly how this is gonna go. Daddy's girl gets what she wants. I just love the krusty look and if paint was a must original is my taste.

• Like 2

RedRanger
1 minute ago, 69chargerv8 said:

And we all know that is exactly how this is gonna go. Daddy's girl gets what she wants. I just love the krusty look and if paint was a must original is my taste.

That one does have a nice original patina on it.  Maybe find a different tractor that has already been painted???

• Like 2

stevasaurus

While I did a terrible job here, this will give you an idea.  Maybe take a couple of more pictures save on your computer and open the picture up in Paint.  I had to customize the Teal color.  It's your horse...this is just an idea.

teal.jpg.ea520fdbceaa3e650a49cb80c193cda

• Like 2

RedRanger
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

While I did a terrible job here, this will give you an idea.  Maybe take a couple of more pictures save on your computer and open the picture up in Paint.  I had to customize the Teal color.  It's you horse...this is just an idea.

teal.jpg.ea520fdbceaa3e650a49cb80c193cda

Wow!  You rattle canned the crap out of that!  LOL

I don't think it's too bad.  Maybe find a "retro" looking teal??

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I never was a good painter, but this paint is really cheap to use.   LOL

• Like 5

378Pete
11 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I never was a good painter, but this paint is really cheap to use.   LOL

That does confirm my suspicion that teal may not look so great. My littlest girl wants pink and yellow. I will fight that battle another day.

• Like 3

DougC

I would get the teal paint on it pronto, before her sister talks her into the pink and yellow............:lol:

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Here is another option...see what you think about this.  :)  These are already the right color, and they are collectible also.  Panzer , and now everybody is happy. :handgestures-thumbupright:

2013_0519e0031.thumb.JPG.796438517a91d08

• Like 7

clueless

Paint it!

Chris in Florida.

• Like 3

378Pete
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Here is another option...see what you think about this.  :)  These are already the right color, and they are collectible also.  Panzer , and now everybody is happy. :handgestures-thumbupright:

2013_0519e0031.thumb.JPG.796438517a91d08

Wheel horse is Boss for all the kids at school. She has a friend who is doing a Wheel Horse suburban puller tractor side by side with her. Great idea though

• Like 2

Racinbob

That's a nice Suburban. Definitely do what you and your daughter want. It's a great project for you two and I'm looking forward to following along. :)

• Like 7

Ken B

If I had a daughter and she wanted it teal.... Teal it would be. I think she will always remember how happy you made her for painting it her favorite color, and you will always remember the smile on her face. What are you waitin for?

• Like 7

DougC
1 hour ago, Ken B said:

If I had a daughter and she wanted it teal.... Teal it would be. I think she will always remember how happy you made her for painting it her favorite color, and you will always remember the smile on her face. What are you waitin for?

:text-goodpost:

378Pete
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Looks like Dad is gonna lose the battle

But I must admit I love that paint scheme on the Panzer's. Maybe the little one knows what she's doing

• Like 1

Tankman

Grandsons love doin' donuts on our driveways with "their" Panzer. The color was never an issue.

Panzer+Radio_Flyer.MOV

• Like 2

N3PUY

Every time I redo a horse I do it my way ..... sometimes it doesn't look so good.

IMG_5438.JPG.d6eb483a1f5de56ec1e697bdd12

• Like 2

953 nut
31 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

sometimes it doesn't look so good.

Well said!   :ychain:

• Like 1

Brian01

Smurfs own wheel horses too? 

:D

• Like 4

AMC RULES