ACman

K91 Blues

ACman

Yesterday my cousin was trying to get the exhaust off the K91 for my RJ59 . He's been real careful , been soaking the nipple that goes in the block for a couple months and heating it also with no luck . So it was decided that he would remove the the elbow then slit the nipple and try to collapse it . So he put the pipe wrench on the nipple and grabbed the exhaust pipe and gave it alittle push , the next thing what happened surprised both of us. The whole thing came off . We looked at the block and a1/3 of the casting just crumbled away .:bitch:Looks like it had a exhaust leak for years . Now I guess I'm on the search for a new block . Hoping to have it restored by the big show . Anyone know how long this engine was produced ? Trying to keep it as original as possible . 

Edited by ACman

Brian01

Pm sent

Pullstart

any way you can use a pipe tap to chase the threads a little deeper?

• Like 1

Dhodge

I have a couple 4hp Kohlers give me a call

• Like 1

new2horses

Before I went out and bought a replacement, I would run a pipe tap down the hole, think you will be surprised. It has worked for me.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Yeah, the pipe tap worked for a K-161 I had too.  My tractor doesn't have it now, but I've seen small engines that have a pipe thread jam nut to help hold tight to the head too, it might be a good idea to find one of those.  It reminds me of an electrical conduit nut - maybe that's what they are!

• Like 3

JPWH
12 hours ago, pullstart said:

It reminds me of an electrical conduit nut - maybe that's what they are!

Make sure to use a steel rigid locknut they are available in diecast which are no good for this application and the threads are different as well

• Like 1

ACman

Thanks for all suggestions , I'll take a closer look . I think I found a replacement ,hopefully everything works out.

• Like 1