Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Kolher KT17 Issues

stevebo

Guys,

I have a 1984 C175 that runs great until you put it under a load going up a steep hill then it smokes a bit and breaks up. I was speaking with a fellow Red Square member tonight and he was telling me that this is a common problem with the "early" model Kohler 17's. I am thinking of rebuilding this one or swapping it out with a new Honda 20hp.

Can anyone share any info about rebuilding and if so, will this fix the issue? Has anyone gone through the Honda 20hp swap out process?? thanks- steve

stevebo

My engine is a KT17S serial number is 24223 which I believe may be a series 1 which had the oiling problems... I bellieve that the 24300 and higher were series 2. Let me know what your thoughts... thanks-

big mike

If,in fact it is a series 1 run it on flat ground until it dies then scrap the carcass.If it's a series II fix it/rebuild it when you can and have a good running tractor for a long time to come.A series II rebuild would be quite a bit cheaper than buying a Honda but both are good options.

stevebo

mike, that is my thoughts. i sent a message to kohler to have them verify if series 1 or 2. i read on another site that 24301 and up were series 2 and below were series 1... if so, not good for my situation. :hide:

stevebo

I found out it was a series 1 so i bought a used series 2. i will see how it runs....

gattonde

Does the K-19 Series I Kohler I have on my C-195 have the same problem as the K-17. It starts and runs fine with no smoke.

Thanks,

Dan

stevebo

Dan,

From my understanding it was only the series 1 Kohler 17. I think you should be good but there may be someoone on the site that may be able to confirm. thanks- :hide:

htopjimmy26

For what its worth I'll chime in as I was kinda curios about the 2 :hide: series 1 KT19s that I own and I can tell you that the series 1 engines were spray lube [not pressure, and not splash]. This led to oiling problems if engine was run low on lube, on an incline starving one of the cylinders of oil. I have also heard of some governor problems with them which is easy to understand if you ever have to remove the carb,[the linkage is difficult to understand and to adjust correctly without a tach]. Overrevv=external connecting rod :omg: . On the plus side I have mowed for 1 full season with one of my C195s and can say that you can climb a steep incline without explosion if kept full of oil and not overrevved :D ,.Good luck :hide:

Butch

the series 1 engines were spray lube [not pressure, and not splash].

:D :hide:

htopjimmy26

I'll elaborate on the spray lube part , My understanding is that all series 1 kt engines are spray lube which means that there is an oil pump but, it does not pump oil through passages and galleries under pressure, but instead sprays oil through nozzles on important parts [like crank/rods/cam] at a relativley low pressure. Series 2 engines ,I think are full pressure lube automotive style oiling. I think a series 2 engine is very similar to a magnum twin, just with a different ingnition.

Butch

:hide: I had never heard of anything like that. :hide: Yep!

A wealth of knowledge around this place! :D

stevebo

Butch,

I sure wich I heard of this BEFORE I ended up with a series 1... Not a big deal though. You are right, when you need to know people here can help. If you goggle Kohler kt17 oil problem you will find a john deere thread that talks about all the problems this motor caused jd in the early 80's. thanks-

Nick

Just been a thought of mine but JD might have had a bit more trouble because of the closed in hood restricting airflow. Looks to me like it might cause some overheating and along with the series 1 oil system could have caused some of the JD engine problems. Just my guess. :hide: :D

htopjimmy26

Ooooh, this is gett'in good and intellictual. I was thinking the same thing Nick, if you look at similar era cubs they also have a kinda closed hood. I have personally witnessed the demise of a series 1 kt17 in a red cub. Who woulda figgered that an air cooled engine would need airflow too stay cool :hide: .

big mike

The 82 series Cubs with KTs(682 and 782) weren't known for overheating issues as there is plenty of air intake and exhaust.If the flywheel screen got clogged ANY air cooled motor will have an issue.

Greenies(Dear Johns) had problems just from the fact that they were Greenies :hide: