Sign in to follow this  
gd.pudge

oil drinker!

gd.pudge

I have B100 with a k301 (transplanted) just at the end of mowing season it started using about 16 ounces of oil in a hour. it does have blue smoke.I checked compression it was well in the green on my tester. but that does not tell me the oil control rings are good.also wondering if fuel pump might be drawing oil through the diaphram leading to oil consumption? has anyone had this to happen? :hide:

illinilefttackle

Thats almost the exact oil consumption I had in my 301 before I overhauled it. It had blue-black smoke while running. It had a lot of smoke on start up. When I took it apart-the piston literally slopped back and forth in the cylinder! But it did run, cut my grass ,plowed my garden. These Kohlers are tough. Good Luck-AL

gd.pudge

I guess i will bite the bullet and go through it this winter. thanks G.D.

rwilson

Sounds like a rebuild is in order. Here are some on the most importand specs. I don't have the valve specs at this time that page is missing!! I'll try to find it for you. Hope this helps.

k301 kohler specs.

bore new dia- 3.375

max wear- 3.3785

max out of round- .005

max taper- .0015

crank end play- .003 no more than .020

crank pin new dia- 1.5

max out of round- .0005

max taper- .001

conecting rod big end max- 1.5025

rod crank pin max clear- .0035

rod small end new- .87585

rod pin clearance- .0003no more than .0008

dood luck!! :hide:

gd.pudge

this engine has 202 hours on complete rebuild.I did not notice any slow loss of power,hard starting,or abnormal blow-by from engine breather.Ihave seen cases in automotive mech.fuel pumps engine oil can pass through the diaphram(pinhole) and have same symptoms.just curious if anyone else has seen this? Iguess i will get to it later this winter Thanks G.D.

linen beige

I think before I tore down the engine I would try rigging a gravity fed fule supply from say a gas can for it to run on. Since you'll have to disconnect the factory fuel line from the carb to hook up the gravity fed line you will already have that end free. Stick that end into an empty container and start her up and let her run for a bit. It should pump fuel from the factory tank into the empty container and if there is any oil coming out through a damaged diaphragm it will show up in the catch container. Taking the fuel pump apart and checking for signs of oil and/or a damaged diaphragm may work, but there may be so little oil you can't see it. That would be cheaper than doing a rebuild and finding out it was just a bad pump. :hide:

Rollerman

GD did you check the compression wet & dry?

Since these engines are splash lubed....guess I can't see or have seen where oil in that amount would be escapeing through a bad diaphram in the fuel pump?

Normally if the diaphram in the fuel pump is bad you will have fuel in your oil.

The pump will not prime very well with a hole in the diaphram either & may cause hard starting.

Maybe a ring was damaged during the rebuild or the valve guides are worn.

200 hours on a rebuild if done well....your engine should have a lot of life in it yet.

illinilefttackle

After seeing what my piston looked like when I tore it down-I would pull the head, look at the top of the piston-if it is clean and oil soaked on part of the surface ,or, if it slaps back and forth in the cyl. -you have your answer. If not put a new head gasket on, and look for something else-Good Luck-AL