857 horse

Guees what i learned to do??,,,Yep pics......

wallfish

Hope to see you and this machine at the big show again in June! Customs are the featured tractor.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

WOW...that's one nasty horse.    :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

DennisThornton

OK....here it goes....I found this coming out of a pickup at the dump....The man would not explain it.....take it or leave it !!! I did not even know it was a garden tractor....Much less a Wheel Horse...the rear was a mess,,,,,found one that looked like it....another mess.......So,,i found a rear from something called a 310-8
drove to Pa,,,,,meet a man named Bill Jenkins,,,,sold me a rear and i left....(( Never got to see behind the curtains))...Made a bracket to mate the rear to the existing frame...nothing is welded....it will all come apart...I found a hood on Ebay,,,the hood has never been painted or mounted,,,It was a NOS dealer hood...It is as shinney
as the new paint on the rest of the tractor ,,from a guy Dave Mitton...  And the engine ??? I still did not know what a Kohler was,,,,,,But I had a sidewalk edger with a running engine,,,the one you see..a 2 1/2 horse Briggs......So i mounted it
    The front wheels are old troy bilt split rim wheels...with 7 inch tires....Road Apples caught those and said Hi at the Big Show...,,I had to put 2 inch thick ford wheel spacers on so the 23x10.50x12 would fit between the rear fenders that are mounted on a tool box,if you notice,,,the tool box is mounted backwards.....
with good reason......My seat dont hit my fenders....i have no machine shop...So the crude cave man wizardry on the linkage is my undoing....
            After all that,,,,,,,,i discovered Red Square....and THe BIG SHOW in Pa.....all within a week of each other....I met Stevasurus..ask him for his thoughts...
and he talked an hour.,,,,Thanks Steve,,,,My Wheel fell off....seems adapter spacers need Bob Maynards Lug nut conversion,,,,thanks again Bob...
I had an issue with no belt cover....In walks John Wallfish.....He made 2 belt stops...(( that are still on the tractor))  that made driving much more fun....
I ran out of gas in turn 3........2 guys came with 2 different gas cans....and I still dont know who they were....And all this was my first time at a show with a tractor...
   No one ran you off the road,,,,no one shot at you....never heard a foul word,,,,just foul jokes...lolool  All this from people i never met...
All these people,,,,i wont forget.........and today,,,,,,i learn how to post pics....Whats next.???  I understand there might be Rhubarb pie at the Next Big Show...=)

Oh,,Glenn.....you caught the 6 inch hub caps,,,,,on 12 inch wheels.......i will knock down the wheels and run another thread on that....
easy to make.....to hard to explain........

This deserves FAR more than just a "Like" !  This is an awesome story in and of itself.  Does owning a WH make you a good guy?  Or do only good guys buy WHs?  Both?

Seriously!  This is not only a great story, but read and reread the thread!  What a great bunch!

• Like 7

stevasaurus

Dennis, i have read this myself 3 or 4 times today.  Howard is just one of those people you meet at a show that is a member on RS and you just hit it off.  That horse that he has is really special.  He showed up at the show a couple years ago, like he said,  had this nice looking horse...wheels fell off, couldn't shift it, out of gas...he seemed like he was lost.  Wallfish, RMaynard, the guys with the gas cans (with where that happened...I'm guessing it was Connecticut guys) just came to the rescue.  I am thinking it was Thursday...the laid back day at the show.  Everything came together and Howard was showing the horse off.  This is an excellent story of what happens at the Big Show.  If you ever get a chance to make this show, you need to do it once.  Good luck just doing it once after you meet all the people and see all the horses.  I was just going to go once (12 hour drive), and next year will be my 6th time.  Meeting Howard a couple of years ago is just the icing on the cake.  This is what it is all about.  :)
I knew I had a picture of Howard...Here ya go my friend.
2013_06242014WHCC0015.thumb.JPG.653880f1

Hey, didn't you guys beat Ohio St last year.  :)  Just looking at that T-Shirt. 

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

Dennis, i have read this myself 3 or 4 times today.  Howard is just one of those people you meet at a show that is a member on RS and you just hit it off.  That horse that he has is really special.  He showed up at the show a couple years ago, like he said,  had this nice looking horse...wheels fell off, couldn't shift it, out of gas...he seemed like he was lost.  Wallfish, RMaynard, the guys with the gas cans (with where that happened...I'm guessing it was Connecticut guys) just came to the rescue.  I am thinking it was Thursday...the laid back day at the show.  Everything came together and Howard was showing the horse off.  This is an excellent story of what happens at the Big Show.  If you ever get a chance to make this show, you need to do it once.  Good luck just doing it once after you meet all the people and see all the horses.  I was just going to go once (12 hour drive), and next year will be my 6th time.  Meeting Howard a couple of years ago is just the icing on the cake.  This is what it is all about.  :)

Steve. you and I just "hit it off" from the start!  And then again when we chatted on the phone!  Now both you and I are, I hope both nice guys, but I swear somehow if you add a bit of WH then some sort of extra something enters!

"Pond Dust" I think!  

The fact that you & I would have taken the time to reread an online forum several times to glean something special,,,,   Well, you old fart!  And you are older than I by a bit, now.  Pretty good bunch of guys here!  Pretty good bunch of guys my friend!  We got some work to to to help out!

• Like 3

wallfish

And here's a pic of Steve after the raffle. He might be the one with a lampshade on his head at the party!

1_stevea_saurus.thumb.JPG.202411dc1cb740

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You guys are not going to believe this.  My wife (Chris) had the ticket and went up there and picked that lamp shade.  What you do not know...she knew that my Mom had that kind of lamp with a broken lamp shade like that.  My Mom was thrilled (86) to get that shade, and it meant more to her that I had worn it as a hat.  :ROTF:  We rode all he way from Penn back to Illinois with that shade on the dash of my truck (seamed to just like that spot and no other safe place to keep it).  How many special stories are there out there??  :)

Dennis, we have a job to do this winter...been waiting for it to slow down. 
You know when I think back on all of it, at that show, it was John (Wallfish) that made it all work.  I learned a lot that day from John, and I had Howard send me pictures in E-Mail of the belt stops John made...and I have used those pictures a few times to explain what belt guards do and how you can get around them if you do not have a guard.  Pretty special.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

857 horse

I see there were a few questions,,,,,
1.....what is it with having 4 857's??   I dunno,,,,,But would love to have an 8 speed,,,,,i bet there is a model and i just dont know it...2 of them are really clean..one is coming together this winter....got a pic....
2,,, yes,,,,,,the tires do look hugh.......just 23's on 10 inch wide wheels......paid $20.00 for both wheels....mower shop.....guy had a pile.....said i was helping him
3,   someone said the hubs look a little wide......i agree.....im gonna fix that......
4,,,,and the hitch,,,,,,yes i got it from Tom.......i have 2,,,,,should  have been a factory option....
i left a name out of the story.....Mike Wall.......he had a blue kohler 4 hp...looked like it has never ran.....$50.00,,,,,cant beat that,,,,,lost my debit card,,,,,had no money the last 2 days of the show......had  SOME cash......Mike sent me home with the engine....NO money,,,,gave me his card,,so i could send $$$  after i got home....((later i found the card in my dirty pants.......Mike,,,i never thanked you for that.!!!!!!
5,  RMAYNARD,,,,he rescued my wheels,,"",and he was the one that had a red machine fall on him"",,,,bandaged ankle to prove it. Man didnt know me from Shinola...(( where ever that is ))
6, how did i maage to blow up the tires??,,,,,,,easy answer,,,,,,Tubes.....
7,,,and a pic.....857 reconstruction,,,,,,i have those triple crome plated nuts.....$5.00 a pair.......

HOOD BOLTS 001.JPG

HOOD BOLTS 002.JPG

HOOD BOLTS 004.JPG

HOOD BOLTS 003.JPG

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 4

Kegler

Need to put a big set of balloons on the front too! Then you could probably drive it --ACROSS A POND! (word play intentional)