RickF

What kind of bolts are these?

RickF

Hello, 
  I've begun to take apart my tractor to replace what I suspect are leaky O-rings right behind the slider linkage for fwd/rev on my GT14. From looking at an exploded diagram of this assembly, there are 3 bolts that hold the cam block support, ( the part that holds the slider) to the Hydrogear housing. These bolts are in a triangular configuration, and are recessed inside this cam block support. The exploded diagram calls the bolts socket head, 1/4 x 20 x 1/2 bolts, but I have never seen anything like them. They look like a 12 point socket, but more points, like 20 points. Does anyone know what size socket these bolts use? Where can I find a wrench that would fit over them? Thank You for your help.    Rick

953 nut

A 12 point 3/8" socket should do the job for you.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

It sounds like a 12-point head.
bolts-type.thumb.gif.f35ace97c32900df2b2

• Like 2

RickF

I guess they must be twelve point. They just look like more points. 1/4 inch, 12 point SAE doesn't fit over it, and 3/8 won't fit in the recess. or 5/16. I'm starting to think they may not be original. I hope I don't have to have someone with a TIG weld on new heads that I can turn out. I don't know, I'll try again in the morning. Thanks for the input.   Rick

Shuboxlover

You'll need to use a 1/4" drive socket that's tapered at the end.....12 point like said above....

• Like 1

RickF

do you mean filed to a taper?

JimD

It sounds like a 12-point head.
bolts-type.thumb.gif.f35ace97c32900df2b2

This should be pinned in the appropriate reference section imho. Mods?

• Like 1

RickF

I'm going to file a 12 point, 3/8 into a taper and see if it works.

Shuboxlover

Actually, I was wrong.  The 12 point sockets I have are Proto 3/8"  and they come tapered and fit perfectly on the screw head without modification.

RickF

I just bought a set of Stanley 12 point sockets at Lowes. I was looking for a 9/32" (12 pt) socket because I thought that a 1/4" was too small. I could only get the 9/32" if I bought the whole set. They were cheapies but other wise, I would have had to special order the single socket. Turns out that even 9/32" was too big, So I took the 1/4", and hammered it down over the bolt head. That worked, and I was able to turn out the bolts fairly easily. Somebody tried to take these out one other time, maybe with pliers because the ends were chewed up so bad, I had trouble finding out how many points they were. I'm not going to use the same bolts when they go back together. Maybe I'll use torx or Allen bolts. (hardened steel), next time. Anyway the weather is still nice, and the plan is to get everything back together before snow hits CT. and hopefully this old tractor will be up to plowing it. Thank you all for your help.  Rick

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:          Glad to hear they came out for you, may want to run a tap through to clean the threads too. Good idea, give those problem bolts the old heave-ho.

rick

sounds like the screws that hold the crankshaft rear oil seal in place in the "B" blocks, 361, 383, 413, 440 cubic inch engines. We had to keep a 3/8 12 point socket in the tool box....everything else was 6 point.