Cole J.

Hey I'm new to this forum

953 nut

:greetings-clappingorange:    Glad to have you back with us, enjoyed your postings.  :dance:

Cole J.

Thanks guys, I'm glade to be back its nice to finally get going on this thing again. 

• Like 1

Cole J.

Update: I got quite a bit more painted, I even started to assemble some parts. I will have pictures in a day or two. New update soon. 

• Like 1

Cole J.

All right so I got the steering linkage painted and reinstalled, at some point next week, if my dad hold up to his word the still busted  axial will be fixed and remilled down at the local foundery. And all the bigger peaces like the hood and fenders are going to be striped down to bear metal and primed because it wouldn't look very good with a bunch of little pits from the old paint. 

I must say that Rust-Olium profesional series paint gives a nice glossy finish. IMG_20160604_121823.jpg

• Like 4

Cole J.

Well, I have the majority of the painting done, I ran out of paint again so I will be waiting for that, didn't get the trans down to the foundery, i made a dead line for myself, i have to get this thing running by september, that is the next local tractor show. I hope to have it reassembled to the point of being able to sit on its own two wheels by the end of July, that would leave me about a month and a half to get the engine running. I feel like I can finally see the end of the tunnel on this one!! 

• Like 2

Cole J.

Me and my bad update skills, I have everything painted except for the transmission because the axil has recently been sent out for milling. The good thing is, if that axil wasn't broke and I didn't take the trans. apart then i wouldn't have noticed the inner bearing was ripped apart, all the ball bearings were in the bottom of the case. Anyone know where I can get new bearings and seals at? It would be appreciated. I'm not promising a quick update this time. Thanks for commenting.

Achto
41 minutes ago, Cole J. said:

Anyone know where I can get new bearings and seals at?

Cole look in the Transmission and Transaxles section here, there is a cross reference section in there that will allow you to find the bearings at Napa or most places the handle bearings. The axle seals are only available from Toro. About $25 each for the axle seals.

953 nut
52 minutes ago, Cole J. said:

if that axil wasn't broke and I didn't take the trans. apart then i wouldn't have noticed the inner bearing was ripped apart, all the ball bearings were in the bottom of the case. Anyone know where I can get new bearings

From the sound of it you are talking about the 1533 Bearings and you are in luck, new ones have just become available.

Cole J.

Cool I will look into those, thanks

Cole J.

I found a parts number on the bearings in the trans. they were posted as NICE 7439 I looked them up to see that they were nonexistent. I checked the measurements to find that the 1533s are the right size. I guess the old ones were special made or stock I don't know if wheel horse contracted that out or if they made there own.

Cole J.

I was thinking about why the axle broke so i check the hub that was on that wheel and the keyway is about twice the size it should be. :blink: So i'm going to take a shot and say i need a new one. :) I'm also not sure where I would find one I can't seem to find anything online yet. I still have yet to get those bearings out I don't know how i'm going to get those out especially the broken one. 

russellmc301

a slide hammer would do the trick:) hope you get it up and driving soon

Cole J.

I have a question about the gasket on the transmission. Could I use the high heat resistant RTV gasket maker or is it necessary to have the material gasket?

grine_22

You can use the rtv gasket maker on the transmission. I've read of guys also cutting their own gaskets for these, just depends on personal choice

• Like 1

Digger 66
7 hours ago, grine_22 said:

You can use the rtv gasket maker on the transmission. I've read of guys also cutting their own gaskets for these, just depends on personal choice

I've seen folks cut them out of cereal boxes , smear them with RTV & they hold up surprisingly well .

grine_22

The trans isn't building any pressure. I've used rtv silicon on the cam cover of the motor and never had any issues before. It worked well until I tied the motor up :deadhorse:

AMC RULES

Better choice. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Image result for yamabond 4

• Like 3