T-BONE

bermac blower on 89 520

T-BONE

I have 89 wheel horse with bermac blower. I am pretty sure that this unit came with wrong belt size. I do have it installed correctly. But it isnt tight enough. Can any one help me out with proper belt with and size. Thank you. 

gwest_ca
Drive belt B-62 with part number 657644 which does not show up in any interchange
Suspect the belt is 5/8" x 65"
Gates 6965
Napa 5L650W

Garry

T-BONE

Blower model is w-0238.  
I should use b-62 5/8 65

Edited by T-BONE
edit

T-BONE

It looks,like the belt reads 5h650

And belt bent in half is 31" approximately 

gwest_ca

Here are the manuals we have
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1901-snowthrower-38in-1987-1988-w0238-ber-vac-2-stage-om-iplpdf/
and
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1915-snowthrower-38in-1989-w0238-ber-vac-2-stage-om-iplpdf/

The belt illustration shows the shape of the belt around the idler pulleys which is very similar to the way Wheel Horse did it on their own snowthrowers.
The front idler is flat and the rear idler is a V-idler.
It takes a special design of belt to run over a flat idler pulley and the Gates belt 6965 is one for that application.
The wide back of the belt is what runs on the flat idler but you likely knew that. Most belts won't last long bending backwards over that flat idler pulley.

5H650 sounds like you have the correct belt. The outside circumference of the belt is where they get the length. I usually put a mark on the back of the belt and then run a tape measure around it until I get back to the mark. As a rule belts shrink with age.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

T-BONE

Looks like the od of the belt is 65.5 and if it has shrunk it could be longer. Would u agree with starting with a new belt at 65"

gwest_ca

Looks like the od of the belt is 65.5 and if it has shrunk it could be longer. Would u agree with starting with a new belt at 65"

That is what I would do.

Sometimes B-62 is used to describe a belt with B representing the 5/8" width and the 62 being 62" outside circumference. That is 3" shorter so I doubt that is what it should be but you will know better. 

Most often B-62 describes an industrial belt 5/8" x 65" (plus 3")
An A-62 industrial belt is 1/2" x 64" (plus 2")

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca