Rollerman

Kwik Way FEL, another loader thread...

Rollerman

Kwik Way FEL I picked up at Steve Myers Service in Cridersville, OH recently.
I was asking a friend Nick (WH857) about a project loader I had seen on Clist that was missing all the hydraulics.
He mentioned that they had this Kwik Way in at the dealership.
I made arrangements to go after ASAP! :auto-layrubber:
This will be going on a 310-8 speed with a mix of 520H parts....unless I can find a reasonably priced 520H locally. :eusa-think:
Will update the thread with more pics once I start throwing it together tomorrow.

12243898_10207943188086781_2115174998_n.jpg

• Like 7

roadapples

Nice find. Keep the loader threads coming, my favorite attachment.

DougC

Great looking loader. Now which tractor will I put it on................ Maybe the new one the wife hasn't seen yet????                   :lol:

• Like 1

Rollerman

Subframe is on.....kinda.
There are brackets at the end of the subframe that slip over the unidrive....like a rear axle hitch.
They are outboard of the subframe & set almost out to the hubs.
Going to try & flip them around to the inside.

Also put the 520H forward swept axle & rear rims on the 310-8.

12270595_10207948866628741_95421999_n.jpg

wildman

Forward progress is a good thing.

• Like 1

TunaSlayet

That will be an excellent set up for sure. That kohler will be nice and quiet at an idle for when you need to communicate with someone else during a project. My M20 is loud, which makes ear muffs a must. You will love the kwik way. If you find it does not lift as much as you would like, it is real easy to adjust the pressure on the spool. I did mine in 1/8 up turn increment, and it is just right now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

boovuc

Hi Roller. Nice find. The best thing you have done for your loader setup is getting the 520 steering on that 310 frame. It's a must in my opinion. Not sure you also have the one inch wheel hubs/rims from a 520 on it either but that also is a big help when using a loader on a small garden tractor.

Rollerman

Managed to get the Kwik Way on tonight after work.
I'll be taking it off again to make some repairs on the tractor yet.
Mostly wanted to see it work.

Problems I'm seeing....
(A) The loader runs very slow.
(B) The pump drive belt is loose, I'll pick up a new one tomorrow & hoping that will cure the sluggish speed of the loader. 
(C) The roll pin in the PTO bail is broken again.....(I dislike roll pins), will have to see if I can find a suitable roll pin & repair it.
(D) The 520H front tires are to squishy...thinking I will convert the front spindles to trailer hubs with stiffer trailer type tires & wheels.
(E) This Kwik Way didn't come with a counterweight box...I will be using some heavy wheel weights, but still will need to fab up a counterweight.
I would like to make a 2" receiver so I can use my electric Kolpin 3point hitch.

Sorry about the dark pictures....if the suns up I'm paving.

12233414_10207954007237253_165255959_n.jpg

12248621_10207954010037323_929792020_n.jpg

• Like 2

Rollerman

No new pictures tonight,  but I'm happy to say that a new shorter belt really woke the loader up.
I also repaired the broken roll pin in tge PTO linkage & changed the ATF in the loader.

Next...wheel weights & fab up a counterweight. 

I'm leaving the hood off till I install the gear reduction steering since I'll have to pull the engine to swap the lower steering shaft out.

• Like 1

roadapples

Stephen, when I added gear reduction steering to mine I removed the two left engine bolts and loosened the two right allowing me to tilt the engine enough to remove the steering rod. Still a little tight but I didn`t have to remove wires, linkage, fuel line, etc. Worked for me. I think I loosened the right loader brace going down to the front of the frame also. Keep us posted.

MalMac

When I converted my 90 520 over to steering reduction I did not take the motor off or loosen it. But highly suggest taking it off. Lot of well chosen words and smashed knuckles. 
When I did my 414 no moter in the way. Made it very easy. Except for drilling the second set of holes for the steering block. 

cheesegrader

For what it is worth, the belt on my 520 kwik-way loader is 32".
I laoded my rear tires with rim-guard (#100 each)
Added #50 outside steel weights, and #35 inside steel weights 
for a whopping total of #370 (#185 each wheel) without a weight box.
That is enough for most tasks.  Weight is on the ground, not on the wheel bearings.
I have some tight areas to work in, and I have found the loader to be PLENTY long as it is.
The added length of a weight box has caused me to bang into the barn more than once.
Being able to work without a weight box is a real plus.

• Like 1

Rollerman

Cheesegrader, thanks for the input.
I plan on running wheel weights, but still would like some counterweight to help off set all the weight on the front end.
Planning on fabbing something up that doesn't hang out as far as Kwik Way's weight box.

Snowmobileaddict

For what it is worth, the belt on my 520 kwik-way loader is 32".
I laoded my rear tires with rim-guard (#100 each)
Added #50 outside steel weights, and #35 inside steel weights 
for a whopping total of #370 (#185 each wheel) without a weight box.
That is enough for most tasks.  Weight is on the ground, not on the wheel bearings.
I have some tight areas to work in, and I have found the loader to be PLENTY long as it is.
The added length of a weight box has caused me to bang into the barn more than once.
Being able to work without a weight box is a real plus.

I'm interested in the Rim Guard.  Can you tell me more about it?  How do you get it into the tires and what does it cost.  The website says that it weighs 11 lbs per gallon.  How did you end up with 100 pounds of ballast in each tire?  That seems like just over 9 gallons per tire.  Does that much volume really fit in the rears of your 520H?

Edited by Snowmobileaddict

cheesegrader

I got the Rim Guard a few years ago, so my memory is a little foggy.
I think it is made from beet juice.  It is supposed to be less hard on rim corrosion than other fluids,
and it is also less harsh on the crops/lawn if you break a seal and dump it all in one spot.
I got it filled at a dealer.  I think it was about $75 bucks, and maybe the total weight was 100 lbs.  Seems 8-9 gallons would be about right in the rear ags.

Edited by cheesegrader