mrc

wheel alignment problem

mrc

hello men,  i;m currently working on a C100.   right front wheel (as you sit on tractor) is crooked. by that i mean the top is farther away from the tractor than the bottom.  i swapped left wheel for right wheel. same problem. i tried another set of wheels and tires from another c series, same problem.  i replaced the spindle, same problem.  i replace the entire front axle with matching spindles, same problem.  i do not know what else to try.  i hope someone can HELP!!!  thank you   mike in mass. 

Tankman

Sounds like you covered all the bases. Do keep all up to date.
Interesting.

KC9KAS

Sounds like the axle itself is either (slightly) bent or spindle hole is worn more than the left one.

C-101plowerpower

hm interesting, do you have pics of the problem? makes the trouble shooting lots easier

JimD

Maybe if you posted several pictures from different angles someone could spot the problem. :)

Edited by JimD

Brian01

Weird for sure, especially if you've replace front axle and all...:eusa-think:

:wwp:

Edited by Brian01
  • Like 1

pfrederi

You have tried every obvious thing.  Are your tie rods the old fixed type or the newer adjustable type???

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:   Have you verified this using a level from one side to the other, seems odd that this would occur using two axles and different spindles. I would think there should be as much camber on one side as the other, unless you had a bent axle, bent spindle or worn bushings. Since you have swapped all of the potential culprits I am wondering if it is an optical elision. Check both sides with a level and see what the difference is.

KC9KAS
:twocents-02cents:

Have you verified this using a level from one side to the other, seems odd that this would occur using two axles and different spindles. I would think there should be as much camber on one side as the other, unless you had a bent axle, bent spindle or worn bushings. Since you have swapped all of the potential culprits I am wondering if it is an optical elision. Check both sides with a level and see what the difference is.

If you use a level to check for "plumb" on each wheel. make sure the tractor is setting level to begin with, or you will have an unconfirmed result.
Actually, each wheel is supposed to have a little angle to it....I think...
I have a level that actually has "degrees of angle" that would really be a help for this deal. Maybe someone close to has one.....Mine is a CRAFTSMAN

• Like 1

mrc

tie rods are old style fixed type. the tie rods if they were adjustabletype,  i believe would cause toe in or toe out.  yes i checked with a level. i'll try to post pics. stay tuned thank you  mike in mass.

mrc

o.k. guys here is the pics. pic #1 and 2 are the left front wheel (as you sit on tractor)  my finger is pointing to the bubble in the level.  pics #3,4 and 5 are the right front wheel.  the right front as you can see is about 1/2 inch out of plumb.  Whats up with that?  any help is greatly appreciated  thank you  mike in mass. 

DSCN1262.JPG

DSCN1263.JPG

DSCN1264.JPG

DSCN1265.JPG

DSCN1266.JPG

Racinbob

Can you post a picture from the front taking in both wheels. If it was excessive wear It should be tipped the other way. But nothing really makes sense since you've swapped everything. :)

stevasaurus

Can you put up a few picks looking at the front end from different angles.  All those pictures show is that one wheel is out 1/2".  We need to see if we can spot the issue.  :)

Bob and I posted at the same time...Great Minds Think Alike.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

Save Old Iron

:confusion-scratchheadblue::confusion-scratchheadblue:

Edited by Save Old Iron

mrc

hi guys here are more pics.  hopefully first pic you can see right wheel (as you sit on tractor)  the lower edge is canted inwards.  second pic if you look closely the top of the wheel to get the level bubble in the middle of the scale, there is a 1/2 inch gap.  third pic is the left front wheel, the level bubble is in the middle of the scale and the level is tight both top and bottom to the wheel.  any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated. thank you  mike in mass.   

DSCN1273.JPG

DSCN1275.JPG

DSCN1277.JPG

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

it almost looks like the axle is bend:eusa-think:

Racinbob

Koen, I've been looking at that myself thinking maybe....maybe not..... but it may be an optical illusion. Besides, he swapped the axle out per the first post.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Considering the fact that it is extremely difficult to bend the cast front axle, and if the bore in the axle is not worn, then the only answer is bent spindles.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Racinbob

I agree Bob. What I was seeing was the front axle pivoted a bit but I think the shadows are making it look that was. What's goofy is that everything has been swapped out.

PaulC

Mike I have a 417-a that has the same issue and its even on the same wheel :confusion-scratchheadyellow:. I don't think its quite as bad as yours but I haven't done any measuring like you have so maybe it is. The only thing I thought it could be was the spindle but I know you have changed all parts to rule that and many other things out.

Going with my and Bob's thinking on the spindle have you tried just temporarily to switch the left spindle with the right? Obviously the tie rod connection would be sticking out the front of the tractor but that would be the for sure way to tell if it is the spindle or not. The chances of you swapping another bent spindle onto the machine sounds highly unlikely but I guess it is possible?

If all else fails you could just bend that spindle to the position of your liking and move onto the next :wh: project :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

TDF5G

That is really strange.  I've been following this thread, thinking someone would come up with a reason for it.  I'm no expert, for sure, but everything looks really square and straight to me in the pics taken from the front, but I notice that you can see the right tie rod but not the left.  It may just be the angle in which the pictures were taken.
I'd have to go with the bent spindle theory.  I realize you've swapped spindles and axles and i'ts still out of align.  I reckon if you hit something hard enough it would bend a spindle, but after replacing it and the camber still being way off like that, I don't have a clue.  It's just weird.

I'm gonna have to look at my tractors now. :wacko:

P.S.  I just keep studying the pics.  In the first pic (the recent ones taken of the front) you can see the difference in the distance from the top of the wheel to the spindle portion of the axle.  The pic appears to be taken from the exact center of the tractor if you compare the pedals, wheels, etc.  I'm stumped.

P.S.S.  Compare the top of the axle on each side with the lower portion of the rear wheels.  It's exactly the same on each side, I just noticed.  I don't believe the axle is bent.  It appears exactly symmetrical to me.  It must be the spindle/s messed up.  I don't know, I give up!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

Don1977

It's not off enough to worry about. If you look at large farm tractor most have positive camber.  So it's the other side that off.
Have you replaced the wheel bearings that could be the problem.

Tankman

it almost looks like the axle is bend

Doubt a bent axle, cast iron.

Still hard to visualize but, if you must, remove spindle and adjust the bend with a 5-lb'er. Slowly match the pair while they're out of the cast axle; tap tap, tap tap.

A steel worker for many years. "We're not making watches."

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

squonk

It will steer better with a little camber in it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on hot rodding it so it will go 50 and then driving it across the country! :)

• Like 3

953 nut

NASCAR cars always run a lot of right side camber for better high speed cornering.  :ychain:

• Like 7