Sign in to follow this  
ronscat

Brinly 38 In. Box Scraper

ronscat

I need to do a little (a lot!) of leveling and filling on the dirt lane down to my house - approximatley 300 feet. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with the box scraper that Home Depot sells?

Thanks for your input and any recommendations/comments.

Rideawaysenior

It's ok for grading but I wouldn't look to do much more with it. I've bent the scarifiers pretty easy in loose soil without much effort either. Some rental places have drawbar box blades that are much better built. I have a friend that bought one of the drawbar types (can't recall the manufacturer) but it's no different then the Woods 48" with an easy drawbar mount. He pulls it with a B80 no problems at all and grades about 1 mile of rutted driveway every spring.

Teddy da Bear

I have one....hardly used it. Don't like it.

It just fills up with dirt and then rides over the top of the dirt after that.

Won't dig in well when full.

Butch

If your potholes become hard forget it. I have about 250' of driveway and it

was constant work. When you thought it was done it became worse because

whatever loose dirt you made to make it level was more easily displaced. I was at work a few years ago when someone said to Andrew after seeing his truck in the parking lot "Andrew did you go four wheeling yesterday or were you over at Butch's?" Well that was it. As much as I disliked paved driveways I had it paved.

Nick

Think I would buy or build a mid grader blade before a rear mount brinly box blade. If you dont have one a drag that has some extra weight can level up a drive and also can be used to pull gravel out of the yard in the spring. The drag might be the easiest to build.

A few commercially available driveway drags you could copy and build yourself.

http://drivewaygroomer.com/gallery.html

DR drag

Box blade that also pulls with chain

Mini road drag

Review of the DR grader

ronscat

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like some sort of drag being either a blade type or some other modified drag type would be my best alternative. I will be on the lookout for used options.

pond195520032003

If you could find a Gannon Earthcavator :omg: then you wouldent have a problem :D the rotate in 3 positions and work great, wont tear it up :hide: :hide:

jtmoyer

i have one i used to put a drive way in next to the house. i had to till it then use the box and it did ride on top of the dirt. i had my wife, dad, and kids standing on the blade to keep it in the dirt. after about 5 times tilling and plowing i had it down far enough.

jason

KyBlue

What ya need is one of these...

soilmoverdual.jpg

soilmoverdual20.jpg

ronscat

That is one pretty pan. Unfortunately my fabrication skills are "0".

KyBlue

The guy who made that...will build ya one, or so he claims on his site..dunno how much he'd want thou, im sure more than a brinly but... ya get what you pay for i suppose