Sign in to follow this  
Brrly1

New project

Brrly1

Here's something that I have been messing with for awhile! This was cast in aluminum, having one or two made of cast also. Burly

DSC03071.jpg

BairleaFarm

Did you cast them or have someone make them for you? Looks great - how much does it weigh?

stevebo

Will you be selling any and if so, how much ?? thanks-

Brrly1

Dave This cast here weighs in at about 19 1/2 lbs. The weight normally weighs in about 53 lbs. They say that aluminum weighs about a 1/3 of what cast weighs. No, I did not cast these it was done for me. Burly

BPjunk

THAT looks good John! :hide:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Jim_M

John,

I would be interested in one if you go into production.

Jim

Teddy da Bear

And a new industry is born!

We will christen them "Burly Weights"!!! :hide:

whlpny

I have had one of Johns new Aluminum wieghts in my hands for an up close inspection and let me tell you guys- They are Sweet!

Rollerman

John I remember you talking about these sometime back.

Glad to see you have made your idea a reality.

How's the price differance between the aluminium & the cast iron?...is the cast iron a cheaper base product?

The aluminium seems like a sweet idea for a show peice tractor without haveing to lug all the extra weight around.

Brrly1

Well, I guess there is some talk about this. I am not really sure about production though. Probably see if I can find something else to do along with it. I had this done in aluminum with the thoughts of polishing it up. My thoughts were sure would look good alongside a nice new red paint job, all nice and polished. Cast weighs in at 53 lbs., aluminum weighs in at 19 lbs. basically about a 1/3 of cast where brass or copper weighs in a little bit more than cast,just a little heavier. I don't even wanna think about something like that but it sure would look good especially a nice brass weight all polished up. Any thoughts just send them along I am open to differrent idea's. It's only an idea. Burly :hide:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

CasualObserver

That looks really cool John! :D A thought on the aluminum... since weight obviously isn't the purpose of the ALUMINUM one... is it hollow? If not, it might be considerably cheaper to have it made hollow. :hide: You could leave it open at the bottom. You'd get the show piece, but not the weight.

Brrly1

Jason, it sounds good but wouldn't that be like extruded aluminum would have to be a special mold made for something like that, correct? Don't rightly know about this. Please keep talking, I am curious? Burly

CasualObserver

I don't know. Perhaps Steve (refracman) would have some insight there. I don't know anything about casting, I was just thinking out loud (so to speak.) I have the idea, I just don't know how to go about accomplishing it. I am picturing an upside down mold, and some aluminum being poured in, (I assume you can "pour" aluminum? :hide: ) and then some sort of spatial displacement device being punched into the center to create a hollow void. In my totally uneducated mind, (in other words... I'm talking out of my rear here... :D) I'm imagining that you could cut the amount of material used by at least 50% if not more without losing structural integrity. I would be interested in seeing either Steves' (refracman or wh500special) thoughts on this idea. I'm also wondering if the extra setup and steps in this would eat up any cost benefit of using less material?

CasualObserver

by the way... I moved this to the implement/attachment section.

Brrly1

Jason I guess while you were moving it I was writing a reply Can you tell me how to find it so I can post a response Please Burly

Teddy da Bear

Burly,

To make the casting hollow would not require much more work.

All that needs to happen is a sand insert needs to be made. For that

you make another mold for the insert itself. Make the insert out of

sand and "insert" it into your existing mold with the bottom left open

like someone suggested. When the part is cast......the sand insert is

still inside. You bang it lightly to break the sand cast and the sand

can flow out of the bottom. Then the weight is hollow where the

instert used to be.

wh500special

Looks GREAT John!

Ok Jason, I'll take the bait and make a few comments...

I'm also wondering if the extra setup and steps in this would eat up any cost benefit of using less material?

Although I like to pretend I know everything, my knowledge of casting is pretty limited. I've had dozens of parts cast from Aluminum for work through the years and have typically gone with "investment casting" methods since we wanted to eliminate as much secondary machining as possible. I'd imagine though that costs for John's project would probably lend itself better to either simple "sand casting" (especially with iron) or even plaster casting.

Rather than try to define all the casting processes, I did a google search and found this casting process linkthat will give some highlights of the differences in available methods...fun reading and "big picture" enough to be useful to most of us.

Since setup costs for small runs usually overpower the material costs by orders of magnitude, I'd think making hollow parts (sand inserts like TDB suggests or lost foam/wax processes) would probably be significantly more costly than just pouring them solid. But definately worth a look. There might be some kind of rotational casting process available to just make a thin-walled shell too although I have never heard of one for metals...

I bought one of these old weights about a year ago and was actually thinking about sending out bids to have them reproduced too! Thank goodness I was lazy enough that you beat me to the punch John!

What does the back side look like? was it molded too or was that the "top" of the mold (no control on surface). If you didn't mold that side you can probably "cheat" and get a cast appearance by grit blasting it if you feel the need.

If there is an upside to the auto industry tanking it might be that you can find casting companies eager to do little projects like this right now.

If you guys are strictly interested in making look-alike parts that lack most of the weight, you might be able to find someone to cast these from lightly reinforced (chopped fiberglass) epoxy. Weight would probably be about 12 pounds but would lack the impact strength of aluminum or - of course - ductile iron.

Steve

T-Mo

I was also thinking about the cost on these castings. Steve is correct, I think the initial cost for the hollow castings would be higher than the solid casting. Also, another thing to consider is strength. While there will be some loss of weight by going hollow, you might need some strengthening ribs cast into the part to give it some strength. This will increase the cost, as well as the weight.

CasualObserver

Jason I guess while you were moving it I was writing a reply Can you tell me how to find it so I can post a response Please Burly

Sorry John,... but the good news is, you found it already. :hide:

CasualObserver

Thanks Steve... that was a good reference.

Brrly1

Hello Steve, Long time no talk too. What I have already done is I have had a pattern made from wood. This has been done for a Front weight like I have shown and also for a hood weight for the front of the rj's - suburbans or any other round nose that had run these weights. Yes I paid the price to have this done. You can take that too the bank also. Anyways to make a pattern for the insert would cost me around 250 to make. I guess the next question is how many do I feel I will need to make to recoup my money of this investment? I am not sitting here with millions or even thousands to spend. Just another idea Burly

sorekiwi

Arent you in the concrete business, Burly? How about casting them in concrete? :hide:

linen beige

Arent you in the concrete business, Burly? How about casting them in concrete? :hide:

:hide::D

They would hold paint just right too.

HarleyMan46929

Well, I guess there is some talk about this. I am not really sure about production though. Probably see if I can find something else to do along with it. I had this done in aluminum with the thoughts of polishing it up. My thoughts were sure would look good alongside a nice new red paint job, all nice and polished. Cast weighs in at 53 lbs., aluminum weighs in at 19 lbs. basically about a 1/3 of cast where brass or copper weighs in a little bit more than cast,just a little heavier. I don't even wanna think about something like that but it sure would look good especially a nice brass weight all polished up. Any thoughts just send them along I am open to differrent idea's. It's only an idea. Burly :hide:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Ideas for something that could be cast, although I'm unsure whether aluminum is the material for the job. The Item is the PTO coupler for the PTO shaft assembly for the D-series tractors (Part # 102975,-#21 on the schematic below- to be exact!).

Apparently, Wheel Horse only made a zillion shaft assemblies, and only 10,000 or so couplers to go along with them...then, Toro decided to stop producing THAT part long ago! Now it's just dumb-luck if you find one these days! I know...I'm still looking!!!

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1228276119.gif

Brrly1

Hello Well it looks like I might have a few of these made. I am curious as if there might be anyone out there that might have some kind of interest in one of these front weights. You can reach me at brrly1@yahoo.com