MotorsargeT

Looking at a 416-8

MotorsargeT

So an update is in line.  I have torn the tractor down and the engine is heading to the machine shop on Monday for a refresh.  The front cylinder had some minor scoring on the bottom and had some debris in it when I pulled the head.  While it had good compression I was not comfortable with it.  I would not allow one of my automotive customers leave with a cylinder wall like that so why would I let it fly on my Horse.  The harnesses look bad and need some work and the overall condition under the sheet metal was so so.  As usual I dove in deeper than planned and this is the result.  

Oops forgot the pics.  I guess I'll start a thread in restorations and customization.

20151128_085207.jpg

20151128_085149.jpg

20151128_085141.jpg

20151128_085133.jpg

• Like 2

MotorsargeT

I think this is as far as it will go.  Time to clean, sand and paint.

20151128_093451.jpg

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Your doing fine. A lot of work there.

Glenn

Brian01

Be sure to save the Cummins sticker on the back of the seat!! :D

I drive an 01cummins

Edited by Brian01

TEAM580

Why not sell the onan and do a Vanguard repower?

MotorsargeT

Repowering it crossed my mind but if everything goes even close to right at the machine shop the onan will be running for under $600.  I told them if it looks like it will be more than $800 with parts I will not do anything with it.  Basically if i need to buy pistons its done.  I got the wheels painted over the past few days and will mount the tires after the weekend.  I want the paint to cure well before mounting  them.

• Like 1

TEAM580

Do you want this as an original tractor? Or a good working tractor? If original by all means do the onan but for a working machine the vanny will way outperform the old flattie and use probably 40% less gas.

I have repowered many tractors using modern ohv engines.