MotorsargeT

Looking at a 416-8

MotorsargeT

First post here but after a few years of enjoying my 312-8 I am looking to add to the herd and upgrade a bit.  A 416-8 has popped up locally for a real good price with what sounds like the usual onan engine problems. Not running right and now only pops and farts  and won't run.  The seller says in the past he's been able to clean the carb and get it running but not anymore.  At the price he's asking I may just buy it for parts anyway but is there anything I should look for specifically when I pick it up or negotiate an even lower price.  I already plan on bringing my compression tester to confirm the internals.

• Like 1

oldredrider

With an Onan engine that won't run, just consider it to be a "roller". Pay accordingly. 

• Like 1

ericj

check out the onan service manual . i would suspect that it might have lost the ignition module. with ignition switch in the on position turn the motor over by hand an with a volt meter on the - side of the coil and negative side of the battery use should read 12 volts. as you turn the motor over it should go from 12 volts to 1 1/2 volts and back if it don't drop the ignition module is bad. lie i said the onan service manual can tell you how to do this and trouble shoot almost any thing else that might be wrong with their motors. good luck. i snag all most all onans that i can running or not if the price is right.

eric j.  

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sarge, first off welcome  to red square. Good idea doing the compression test, will tell you something. I have a 416-8 myself. Its a great machine. But mine has the single kohler. How many hours? Thats fairly important, best of luck, pics when you can. The onan can be expensive.

Glenn

MotorsargeT

Thanks for the responses.  The seller is asking $300 but I think I can get it for less.  He says it will fire on starting fluid so Im hoping it's just carb related.  I also have a line on a kohler magnum 18 so I was thinking a re-power project may be in the near future for me.  I caught the wheel horse bug pretty hard.

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Right off the bat it sounds like there is little hope for you!  Some initially claim that they are fine but you readily admit that there has been an effect.  Resistance is futile!  Well, once the WH bug has bitten...

Surely you can find $300 worth in parts!  And what if an hour or so fixes it?  A 416 for $300!  Come on!  Got a deck?  Tires and wheels?

OK.  If it starts and runs, even with starter fluid, AND doesn't smoke after it runs!  Isn't it worth $300!  Yes, Onans can get pricey to fix, but you already have a Kohler in mind.  But you may not need it!

Will it start and run?  My 2 cents is to then buy it.  But, then you can wait for more info to follow...

OK, back to earth.  I bought a 416-H for $200!  Knew it needed an ignition module but who cares?  Where are you going to buy a similar value for $300 and a bit of time?  (used module and my time!)

I think you are on to something good.

• Like 1

can whlvr

I would buy it for that price,but where im from people ask a lot for garden tractors,junk or not,if you have a kohler then its a good match,18 hp kohler and a 400 frame

MotorsargeT

I'm picking it up this weekend.  I think a carb rebuild,  new fuel lines and filter and some tlc will make a nice runner out of it.  And a decent 42" side discharge deck to boot.  Looks like a good winter project for the kids and I. 

• Like 3

slammer302

Sounds like a good deal you can part out the engine if its no good and make sum of your money back and have a good roller with deck:wwp: 

MotorsargeT

Pics with I get it.  It was too dark when I looked at it yesterday.

Foozerush

Welcome to RS! I have a 416-8 and it's a worker...

Hope it don't take much to get her running.... Don't be afraid of the Onan... I'm not... Just keep it maintained and oil changes and grass off the flywheel cover, you should be good to go... I also have a 310-8 for mowing duty at the rental. I like my 416 better mainly the better ride with the 12" and 8" tires over the 10" and 6" and the bigger streering wheel...

Like I said hope it's a easy fix.... Then Work it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a01c3e0fea5254a6a4cdd38c41521314.jpg

• Like 3

MotorsargeT

I finally got it home tonight.  It was a little rougher than it was represented as but I talked him down a bit.  Pics coming in the morning.  It sounds like it has compression and it might have spark.  We'll  have to see tomorrow. 

Tankman

Few years ago picked up a '90 520-8 (very cheap!)

Was apprehensive "Onan", I like the older Kohlers. Now, changed my mind, love this Onan. Did a lot of easy stuff; carb clean, fuel lines, oil, filters, cleaned fins, painted shields, more, all normal routine PM (preventative maintenance).

New decals from Terry, Horse logo for the air screen and steering wheel. I'm a bit allergic to TORO.

520+Wagon2.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

cleat

I have also come to like the Onan's and sold my Ford with the Kohler.

Like Tankman, when I refurbished my 520's I got rid of all Toro names.
The 416 in the background still says Toro because it is original still.
All_wheelhorses_out_July_1_2015_1.thumb.

Cleat

• Like 2

cleat

I have also come to like the Onan's and sold my Ford with the Kohler.

Like Tankman, when I refurbished my 520's I got rid of all Toro names.
The 416 in the background says Toro because it is original still.

All_wheelhorses_out_July_1_2015_1.thumb.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1

MotorsargeT
20151118_150119.jpg.9f238590c6d19ad1bd56Pics as requested!  It has spark, compression and fuel in the fuel filter so I'm pretty sure its carb related.  The fuel looks horrible so I'm going to collect up some fuel lines, filter and a carb rebuild kit.  If I can get it to fire I plan on pulling the tins and painting them, adjusting the valves, and doing the head gaskets as insurance.  I have a nice set of deestone ags I acquired so they'll probably end up on it.  Hopefully I can get it running and move forward!  I ended up paying $200 for it and it came with a 42 inch side discharge deck, mule drive and plow brackets.  The deck has a hole but I'm pretty handy with a welder and metal fab so I think I may have a nice garden tractor for the spring.  I'll keep my 312 for mowing grass.

20151118_144910.jpg

20151118_144940.jpg

20151118_144927.jpg

• Like 5

Smokey

I like it! :handgestures-thumbupright:    Looking forward to hearing how the troubleshooting goes.

can whlvr

worth 2 bills all day long

• Like 1

953 nut
:woohoo:               The goodies that came with it were worth $200, well done.            :text-bravo:
  • Like 1

cleat

Don't worry about a carb kit. Just take the top off, you can then clean the main jet and unscrew and clean the brass tube and clean out all the little holes in it.

I have also found that pulling out the idle mixture screw (after seating it and counting the turns to put it back in correctly) and cleaning it then spray carb cleaner into the hole where you removed it then putting it back really helped mine.

Whole job takes under an hour.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1

DougC

You sure didn't get hurt for that price. Your kids will love helping and enjoy the winter project .          :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JimD

You stole it. Somebody call the cops. :ychain:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

winner winner..chicken dinner. nice.......best of luck.

Glenn

MotorsargeT

I pulled the top of the carb off as suggested and cleaned everything as best possible.  It is varnished really bad and the needle on the floats is pretty bad.  After draining the gas and adding a fresh gallon and putting it all back together it is running.  Poorly, but running and not knocking.  I pulled the carb and muffler today and will pull all the tins off the engine and clean everything up.  I may have saved this one.  

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Great deal at $200!