RMCIII

ONLY IN A JEEP!

JAinVA

Nice rock crawler.8.8 is the first I have heard of in that application.Hope it holds up.Nice build.Got a 71 Jeepster that could use some similar upgrades.Luck,JAinVA

classicdmax

f8.8 is a common swap, similar width, beefier axle shafts, larger dia tubes. I've had a Detroit in it on 35's since installed (4yrs ago) no probs yet

JAinVA

That's good to know.They're plentiful and relatively cheap as compared to 60s or 14 bolts.Nice Jeep!Nothing like a Jeep no matter who owned the company that produced it.

classicdmax

Thanks

i saw jeep in the thread title and couldn't resist

Picked mine up for $125 at a local jy

squonk

My shop teacher in high school had one of these. He'd plow snow with it and when he hit the pile the back end would come off the ground. One day he hit a pile and the bed flew off! :)

images.jpg.272b60313ef34f14e7ef346e7f2d32d7.jpg

• Like 2

Ken B

I've never owned a Willys but I started liking Jeeps way back in 1986.  I was 17 yrs old and I worked in the garage at a gas station that did repairs. The owner had one wicked cool old school Willys with a HOT 327 from a Vette under the hood with standard shift (naturally) and awesome sounding side pipes (purple horny type) I loved the vintage aluminum slots he had on it. He let me drive it a few times and all I can say is I was hooked. That thing moved! He also had one WICKED early Sting Ray convertible with a nasty 427 under the hood, 4 speed with side pipes. I never drove it but I got to ride shot gun, I'll never forget the sound and power of that machine.  I've owned many a muscle car but these two remain on my bucket list... Of Jeeps I've owned a few Wranglers and a bunch of Cherokee's...

12 hp Kohler

Sounds coool

shallowwatersailor
3 hours ago, squonk said:

My shop teacher in high school had one of these. He'd plow snow with it and when he hit the pile the back end would come off the ground. One day he hit a pile and the bed flew off! :)

images.jpg.272b60313ef34f14e7ef346e7f2d32d7.jpg

I use to work with a guy years ago that had been a Willys-Jeep mechanic in the '60s and '70s. With the FC-series (FC-150 and FC-170, as pictured), it was easier to unbolt and hoist the cab than trying to work on the engine through the access provided. The FC-170 has always been one of my favorites. I even remember struggling to climb into a FC-170 cab at a Chicago Auto Show when I was quite a bit shorter.  :D

• Like 1

squonk

I worked in a Chevy dealer ship and they bought out a AMC/ Jeep/Renault :rolleyes: dealer. A few weeks in a CJ was towed in and the owner was sure he did something bad to the driveline. we took it apart and the RR wheel had a sheared axle key. I couldn't believe it. A 4x4 known for it's off road capability had this hokey puny tapered axle and key way set up. :blink:

Dan Hankins

I don't have any pictures of the one dad owned but I his 1948 willys was the first car I ever drove. I was driving it when I was nine.

12 hp Kohler

Awesome I love the willys jeeps from before the fifties 

12 hp Kohler

I want more pictures 

Digger 66

Is this a Willys ?

We stumbled across this on one of our rides .

005_zpslgsxfzb7.jpg

12 hp Kohler

Yeah that's a willys pick up, awesome find love the willys trucks, would love to have one some day.

• Like 1

farmer

I think this topic came up a couple of years back, I have a 1942 ford willys these are pictures I posted up then... love it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_1306.thumb.JPG.c3665c46f83b9a553f395fb2da6db6ea.JPG

IMG_1307.thumb.JPG.3554baa5b0fe2ed27cb3c564b096d460.JPG

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

That's awesome, a really early one I really see them.

T-Mo

Well I bought my brother-in-law's 2001 Jeep Cherokee.  It has a small lift kit on it, and size 31 tires.  Raining too much to get pictures, but they're be coming.  We now have two Jeeps, the Cherokee and it's replacement, a 2004 Liberty.  Both in the same color, which is almost identical to the color of my '01 Dakota.

BTW, we have two Jeep threads going, this one and one for the Willys Jeeps.  Should I merge the two since the Willys one has a bunch of non-Willys Jeeps in it?

Amcwheel85

I also love jeeps! Well I love anything amc... but I would kill to have a j10 honcho or j20. Hate to see ppl ruin them with chevy boat anchors tho.. 

slim67
11 hours ago, Amcwheel85 said:

I also love jeeps! Well I love anything amc... but I would kill to have a j10 honcho or j20. Hate to see ppl ruin them with chevy boat anchors tho.. 

how about the gladiator from "Tremors"

Ken B
19 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Well I bought my brother-in-law's 2001 Jeep Cherokee.  It has a small lift kit on it, and size 31 tires.  Raining too much to get pictures, but they're be coming.  We now have two Jeeps, the Cherokee and it's replacement, a 2004 Liberty.  Both in the same color, which is almost identical to the color of my '01 Dakota.

BTW, we have two Jeep threads going, this one and one for the Willys Jeeps.  Should I merge the two since the Willys one has a bunch of non-Willys Jeeps in it?

I'm taking it you just picked up a Cherokee Sport? I've owned a few early 90's Cherokee Sports and both were fantastic! About 15 yrs ago I bought a nice 92 Sport with a high output 4.0 from my brother. It had 140,000 miles on it. Having worked in the garage of a Chevy dealer for many yrs. I owned nothing but GM and both of my vehicles at the time were S-10 Blazers with 4.3's in them. After a few thousand miles with the Jeep I was hooked. The Jeep would run circles around the S-10 on and off road. I put ANOTHER trouble free 100,000 miles on the Jeep without having to replace anything other than brakes, tires and oil. I can honestly say the Jeep was much more dependable. I often towed a 3000 pound camper with my 92 Jeep and I never had a problem. Certain parts such as water pumps, alternators and fuel pumps fail like clock work on the S-10 Blazers, I only used factory GM parts (like every 50,000 miles) its like they were programmed to do so. Not trying to bash S-10's too much but I haven't owned one since my first Jeep....

I wouldn't mind seeing the topics combined... Here is a pic from a vacation I took on Bantam Lake with the Jeep.. Believe it or not the lake was about 25 ft. from my camper..

IMG_0286.jpg

T-Mo

Yes, it's a Cherokee Sport, with a 4.0L inline six.  I love the looks of these Cherokees versus the Grand Cherokees.  I wouldn't mind finding a good, un-rusted Jeep Commanche pickup.  Those were great looking trucks and I always wanted one.  I remember going to the dealers in the late 80s looking them over then, but our budget wouldn't support a new truck.

I went ahead and combine the two threads.

Dakota8338

Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned was a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo TSI.  Actually still have it and it runs smooth, but you never know where it may decide to leave you stranded or for how long before it will start again.  Also had a 2004 GC.  Both had the straight (inline) 4.0 - 6 Cylinder.  I traded the '04 in on the wife's current '15 Rav4.  Dad narrowed his selection to a Jeep Gladiator or an International Harvester pick-up in 1965, and I tried everything to convenience him to go with the Gladiator over the IH, but the one difference which persuaded him to purchase the IH was a three speed column shifter in the IH, versus a four on the floor for the Gladiator.  Boy was that Gladiator some truck!

Pullstart
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:30 AM, Ken B said:

That's my buddy Greg.  His new Jeep is even quicker, I believe it's a 2 door Cherokee of the same era with a monster turbo Hemi and built on a shortened C-10 frame.

Edited by pullstart
post doubled itself
  • Like 2

C-85

I just wanted to show off my new Jeep.

This is a 1971 Deuce and a Half.

My wife and I have been fighting with empty nest syndrome since our kid has gone to college, so we thought this would help!

One of the main reasons that I joined the Army back in '79 was due to seeing all the convoy's of trucks that went passed our place.  I knew then that I had to drive those trucks, and I've missed that ever since I got out of the Army.  So this craft will help with all of these problems! :)

This new to us Jeep is like a 'rolling museum' and we've already had in a few parades and is a lot of fun to drive.

She gets around 7 mpg!

So in addition to our '79 Jeep CJ-5, we now have two Jeeps, Big Jeep and Little Jeep! :USA:

C-85

C-85

I just wanted to show off my new Jeep.

This is a 1971 Deuce and a Half.

My wife and I have been fighting with empty nest syndrome since our kid has gone to college, so we thought this would help!:)

One of the main reasons that I joined the Army back in '79 was due to seeing all the convoy's of trucks that went passed our place.  I knew then that I had to drive those trucks, and I've missed that ever since I got out of the Army.  So this craft will help with all of these problems!

This new to us Jeep is like a 'rolling museum' and we've already had in a few parades and is a lot of fun to drive.:USA:

She gets around 7 mpg!

So in addition to our '79 Jeep CJ-5, we now have two Jeeps, Big Jeep and Little Jeep!

C-85

IMG_20031_zpsulzes5c9.jpgtruck2_zps6dm5kmux.jpgIMG_2829_zps8tqech1a.jpg

Somehow the pictures went away when I hit 'submit,' so hopefully this will work properly this time.