whfan74

Another xi added to the herd!

whfan74

Well I used to own a real nice 522xi but that changed quickly.

Last year I went through a miserable time with my folks parting ways.  I told them that the tractors were off limits as I purchased all of them, but they stored most of them at their place.  They agreed until mom said she needed a tractor and wanted my loved 522xi.  Of course I reminded her that I wasn't part of the divorce which she then mentions I will trade you the zero turn (60 hours) for it.  Since we bought their place, the zero turn made much more sense.

Since that day I have missed that beast.  In the meantime dad found a real nice 518xi for our herd that will be his work machine.  He really likes it but misses the power steering.  So thanks to Mike aka racinfool40 for the heads up, I now have another 522xi.  Looks as though dad and I will swap, he will bring the 522 to his place and I will grab his 518.  Not a real fan of the newer stuff but this will be my 6th xi and I couldn't be more happy.  They are a great machine and a pleasure to work.  

This one will get cleaned up and some maintenance pulled.  Should be another great addition!

image.thumb.jpg.64136875f1291445e1ce4593image.thumb.jpg.ba6a8fbbbe8e5359dacdfbb1

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Scott, best of luck. Keep us posted.

glenn

stevebo

Get the buffing wheel out and some heavy cutting compound and get it shinned up. After that get some new decals from Terry and do your maintenance and call it done. Love my 522 and 520lxi. 

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Great to see that another one is back in the fold!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Great to see that another one is back in the fold!

DennisThornton

Well I used to own a real nice 522xi but that changed quickly.

Last year I went through a miserable time with my folks parting ways.  I told them that the tractors were off limits as I purchased all of them, but they stored most of them at their place.  They agreed until mom said she needed a tractor and wanted my loved 522xi.  Of course I reminded her that I wasn't part of the divorce which she then mentions I will trade you the zero turn (60 hours) for it.  Since we bought their place, the zero turn made much more sense.

Since that day I have missed that beast.  In the meantime dad found a real nice 518xi for our herd that will be his work machine.  He really likes it but misses the power steering.  So thanks to Mike aka racinfool40 for the heads up, I now have another 522xi.  Looks as though dad and I will swap, he will bring the 522 to his place and I will grab his 518.  Not a real fan of the newer stuff but this will be my 6th xi and I couldn't be more happy.  They are a great machine and a pleasure to work.  

This one will get cleaned up and some maintenance pulled.  Should be another great addition!

Seems the planets are aligned for the "xi"s!  Very nice!  I would love to have the snow blower!

You could add a cross-link you know...  Well, I guess 2!

Great find!  Congrats!

SPINJIM

I'm looking at a 520Lxi with the Kawasaki engine.  Nice machine, but seems to be more complex than it needs to be, and probably more maintenance than the classic WHs.  For example, the Smart Speed feature seems like it would need constant adjustments, and the Power Steering is just something else to worry about.  Reminds me of the way cars have become more complicated.   The Kawasaki is a great engine, but what has your experience been with all of the Toro-built features?    Compared to the 520H?   Kawasaki more durable than the Onan?

elliot ness

Nice W/H, I would like to use one once to see what I thought of them, anyway great machine you got there.

WNYPCRepair
6 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

I'm looking at a 520Lxi with the Kawasaki engine.  Nice machine, but seems to be more complex than it needs to be, and probably more maintenance than the classic WHs.  For example, the Smart Speed feature seems like it would need constant adjustments, and the Power Steering is just something else to worry about.  Reminds me of the way cars have become more complicated.   The Kawasaki is a great engine, but what has your experience been with all of the Toro-built features?    Compared to the 520H?   Kawasaki more durable than the Onan?

I haven't owned mine long enough to know about maintenance issues, but it is a great tractor. The power steering is a really nice feature. The smart turn I like, but it slows the tractor down too much on turns, but it can be disconnected. 

They are definitely heavy duty machines. The part I really like is the hi-lo hydro trans. 

DennisThornton
10 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I haven't owned mine long enough to know about maintenance issues, but it is a great tractor. The power steering is a really nice feature. The smart turn I like, but it slows the tractor down too much on turns, but it can be disconnected. 

They are definitely heavy duty machines. The part I really like is the hi-lo hydro trans. 

I've become a fan of the "Smart Steer".  Set cruise and just steer.  You can fly at high speed and then suddenle steer around a tree without touching anything but the steering wheel!  Don't have to touch the throttle or motion control and never worry about flying out of the seat.  I like it and I'm becoming a convert for hydros if they have a forward/reverse pedal.  And, that Hi/Lo rear is indeed sweet!

rick

The more I hear about this series of tractors, the more they interest me! i have to start watching Clist!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

We have to stop telling everyone how great these tractors are! More for the few of us who know! ;) 

• Like 2

doc724

I have had my 520xi for almost 4 years now.  Great machine, well built and so far, very reliable.  Only weakness I had was a balky fuel pump which after replacement seems to be OK, although the last couple of times something in the fuel system was acting up.  I disconnected the smart steer-lots of trees here and it slows way down.  No power steering on the 520 and it has not been a problem, but it would sure be useful when the loader is on.  When I bought mine (used) there were few for sale.  Now, they are much more available, many with 200-600 hours.  The only downside is that there are not too many used attachments around and the ones that are tend to be more expensive than the classic tractor (supply and demand at work)

• Like 2

slammer302
6 hours ago, elliot ness said:

Nice W/H, I would like to use one once to see what I thought of them, anyway great machine you got there.

If you are ever in my neck of the woods i will let you take my 522XI for a spin 

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Thanks for all of the responses on the 520Lxi.   If I can get the one I've seen for a reasonable price, I think I'll go for it.  I like the Kawasaki engines, and need a 2-cylinder for heavier work.   Most of the Kohler 2-cylinders that I've seen have been the series 1 with the oil circulation problems (17 & 19 hp).  Looked at a 520, but the Onan had very high hours and some other problems.

Merry Christmas,  Jim

Edited by SPINJIM