grine_22

68 raider 12

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:  Wet sand the primer with a long sanding block and long diagonal crosshatch strokes. This will give you a uniform finish and reduce the likelihood of creating "tracks" that will show up in the finish.

• Like 1

grine_22

It may sound dumb, bit what do u mean by long diagonal crosshatch stores? I work on equipment almost on a daily basis and I'm always up for learning new tricks, but have never gotten into the refinishing stuff yet. Never can learn too much. 

Cole J.

Yeah I was wondering the samething

RedRanger
On 12/1/2015, 7:54:29, grine_22 said:

It may sound dumb, bit what do u mean by long diagonal crosshatch stores? I work on equipment almost on a daily basis and I'm always up for learning new tricks, but have never gotten into the refinishing stuff yet. Never can learn too much. 

"strokes".  To flatten out a surface the proper way is to sand in two opposite or diagonal directions back and forth.  Don't use your hand as your hand is not flat.  Your hand cups the sandpaper and grinds high and low spots.  Sanding in the same direction all the time leaves high and low spots.  Sanding in a circle leaves high and low spots.  Sanding with short strokes eats low spots in to your surface.  To get your surface flat, use straight strokes in two different directions on top of each other using a solid block of wood or proper sanding block.  Another trick for curved areas is to use a cardboard tube as a sanding block.  If you want to spend some money, auto body supply stores sell specific sanding blocks for specific shapes.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP9Ty0jQy8

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 4

grine_22

Thanks ranger, once I get some time to work on things once again I'll give it a try.  Too many projects sitting on the floor and not enough hours in the day

• Like 1

Cole J.

Thanks for the help! :)

• Like 1

953 nut

Thanks @RedRanger you gave a good explanation of what I wanted to pass along. Too many otherwise good projects are less than they should be because of a little lack of attention to details or lack of understanding of little techniques that make a difference.

• Like 3

grine_22

It has been a few days since I've had time to work on anything but I've been finding time again with holidays around and work slowing down. Update on a few things, still working on wirebrushing things down and getting first coat of primer on stuff.

KIMG0144.jpg

SylvanLakeWH

Looking good!:text-coolphotos:

Dirtdog524

Nice job on the Raider! This makes me want to get my Raider 12 out and restore it! It has a ton of surface rust

grine_22

Its taken me a while to get this far. Not doing a complete restore just yet, tired of the hood having spots with peeled paint in it. 

grine_22

Off topic but found this old manual for all single cylinder Kohler's at my sisters new house today, score!!!

KIMG0149.jpg

• Like 4

Cole J.

Nice find !!

grine_22

Gonna hafta pony up and support rs, won't allow me to upload any more pics

• Like 2

Digger 66
On 12/2/2015 at 8:54 PM, grine_22 said:

You could use a 4" X 4" square of old truck mudflap for a sanding block on such a small surface .

WNYPCRepair
On November 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM, grine_22 said:

Here is the rear panel, need to do some work on the pitting then I'll get primer on it till spring. 

KIMG0124.jpg

Why does it look blue? Is that from the e-bath, or was it painted blue before?

grine_22
7 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Why does it look blue? Is that from the e-bath, or was it painted blue before?

I don't know why it looked blue, I had my cousin run it through his burn off oven and then sandblast it for me. Could be from the oven.  

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
22 minutes ago, grine_22 said:

I don't know why it looked blue, I had my cousin run it through his burn off oven and then sandblast it for me. Could be from the oven.  

Ah, OK, I thought you had it in an e-bath. The burn off probably turned it blue from the heat

grine_22

I haven't tried the ebath quite yet, want to but the parts my cousin can do ill send with him to work, the others I've wire brushed clean.  Started putting red paint on so it should go back together fairly quick once done. 

grine_22

I've been getting paint on, only thing to work on for now is getting the hood finished. 

KIMG0168.jpg

• Like 4

grine_22

In the meantime I'm fixing other things as well, one axle seal was shot, the seal behind the brake band needs replaced, deck has a few small holes in need of patching.  

KIMG0173.jpg

KIMG0175.jpg

• Like 1

grine_22

First coat on the hood is done, need to hit it with a fine grit paper and give it another coat. 

KIMG0188.jpg

KIMG0189.jpg

• Like 2

grine_22

The belt cover for trans has worn thin so I cut a piece of sheet and tacked it in.  Welds aren't the greatest, I'll grind em down and work on it more when I get time. 

KIMG0195.jpg

KIMG0196.jpg

KIMG0197.jpg

• Like 1

Cole J.

Nice, looking good 

grine_22

Cleaned up the welds with the grinder and figured I'd try my hand at body filler.  First time using the stuff, I put it on a lil thick but with time comes experience.  Anyone with experience be free to point out mistakes, always up for learning tips and tricks to doing these kinds of things! 

KIMG0210.jpg