Bigpat5123

300 Series tow hitch capacity

Bigpat5123

Could not find any specs from wheel horse. I am wondering if anyone knows the capacity of the rear hitch on a 300 series. I made a weight rack for snow blowing that bolts to the standard tow bar. How much weight is an issue before damage to trans-axle case?

weight rack 3.jpg

shallowwatersailor

I'd suggest some additional pieces added to the axle portion to share the load. Here are some photos of Scott Moreau's 2" receiver when he was were getting ready to fabricate for the 5xi.I used a Classic Wheel Horse version to measure for the additional width on the 5xi.  Notice how it goes to the axle as well. The black one is the 5xi version mounted.
DSCN1808.thumb.JPG.76b677bef35f8f1c23c7d5xi_Hitch.2.thumb.jpg.e18324e7773de66ac6

• Like 2

CasualObserver

That looks like a whole lot of a bad idea there to me. That is the tow hitch, designed to support when pulling. When you stack weight on it like that, you're either going to bend it (it's just flat stock steel), or it's going to act like a fulcrum and punch the other end of that hitch up into the bottom of the trans case like a old fashioned can opener... I know we've had pictures posted of that situation in the past, but I don't have time to search for them just this moment.

slammer302

Yeah I would say your one good pot hole away from a disaster but shouldn't take much to make the weight spread more evenly over the trans

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pfrederi

Most of the hitches have vertical free play allowing the front end to slam into the base of the transaxle housing.  I have weights on the drawbar but i force wedges between the front end of the hitch and the housing to preclude the bouncing.

bmsgaffer

I posted in your other thread, but yes, I agree with all of the above. 

Its less about the amount of weight (though that IS an issue) but more about how far out it is from the mounting point. That's a huge multiplier hanging it way out there like that. 

GlenPettit

The center for all that weight is about 18" behind the axle, if it doesn't bend the bracket/mounting you added, it will at least lighten up the front, actually quite a lot when the snowblower is in the down position, which will make it very hard to steer & turn (pivots at the axle, like a titer-todder).  
Much better to have the weight located in/on the axle/wheel (steel weights bolted on, and/or better yet, RimGuard in the tire).

If you hade a FEL (Front End Loader), then that bracket & weight would help a lot.

• Like 1

Bigpat5123

Def hear what you are saying but I stood on the end of the rack(200lbs) and bounced up and down with no negative impact to hitch or tractor. I haven't tried it without the blower on but won't use it without. The tractor has the adjustable height knob for lift/down so the blower def puts most of its weight on the ground. We will see once the snow flies. There is a slight difference in ease of steering with the rack but not real easy to turn.

bmsgaffer

Just exercise caution, the collective experience of the members of this forum is vast.

The cast iron is more likely to break once we hit freezing temps. I would hate to crack open the tranny in the middle of the winter in a storm (which  is when it will happen according to Murphy and his law).

You may not experience anything but the prolonged bending of the hitch. If something DOES happen, we wont say "I told you so" however, we WILL be looking for the carnage pics ;)

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I posted this on your other topic, but for the sake of all future viewers, I will post it here too. 
-----

You will probably be fine, and I also understand that you are unlikely to change your mind (and that's OK! :handgestures-thumbupright:), but I just have to put some physics in here for anyone looking at this thread in the future. :hide:

If you stand on the hitch (lets assume the hitch is 6" long from the hitch pin to the hole, and extends 5" under the transmission, I dont know what the actual measurements are) you are putting a pressure of about 240lbs on the bottom of the transmission (not calculating forces on the pin, too much work, but expect it close). If you put 150lbs out free hanging 24" from that hitch pin you are exerting a pressure of 960lbs on the transmission bottom. Yours will not be quite that high since your 150lbs is distributed along the length of the 24", but it will be close. Its like using a giant breaker bar on a frozen bolt.

Also keep in mind that trailers aren't valid comparisons as they have their own tires on the ground, so they are putting their tongue weight right at the hitch (the same as the first example I gave you of you standing on it)

2015-11-11_09.30.30.thumb.jpg.1615a828b0

And that doesnt include the possibility of bouncing... you would be looking that thousands of lbs of force. 

giphy-facebook_s.thumb.jpg.ddc108a5ea7f6
  • Like 4

Bigpat5123

Thanks all as always I appreciate and respect all of your replys.

• Like 2

can whlvr

wheel weight is a good way to add weight and its a lot easier on the tranny

953 nut

2015-11-11_09.30.30.thumb.jpg.1615a828b0

:text-goodpost:      Went :wh:  surfing and ended up getting a Physics lesson, complete with illustrations!    :text-bravo:

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Wheel weights and chains should be all you ever need for pushing  or blowing snow taking a chance of ruining an axel for what little advantage you might get is just not worth the risk. Besides horses dig plenty with just chains on