persof

Bad Fuel Pump

persof

My 1988 312-8 quit running today.  Before it quit completely I got it to run weakly with full choke so I suspected crud in the carb.  I took the bowl off and removed a fair amount of crud, squirted cleaner thru the main jet and figured my troubles were over but it would not run at all with out starting fluid.  I removed the line going from the fuel pump to the carb and cranked the engine and nothing came out.  If I lower the line below the tank level fuel pours out so the line from the tank is OK.  

I removed the fuel pump and worked the lever with my finger over the inlet and did not feel any suction.  Is there a rebuild kit?  Is there a diagram that shows how it is assembled?  All suppliers say "no longer available"

Any Ideas??
Francis

N3PUY
Take the pump apart.   It may just be dirt in the pump.   I had one full of rust ... cleaned it out and it worked fine.
What can it hurt.
Joe

BESTDOGEVER

If  cleaning  it  doesn't work they're  available on amozon for about 30-35 bucks the cheap ones are the same as the 100 dollar ones from  kohler 

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Then -now-auto.com makes
Rebuild kits for kohler fuel pumps.

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:       An electric fuel pump from a US seller on :techie-ebay: will run you $ 20 or less and work well.

BESTDOGEVER

If the  replacement  works as well as the first  it should  outlast any of us  I got  27 years out of the first one. Over the years I cleaned it a few times and filled it with oil  to keep the rust down and  soften the  diaphragm. The new one is made here by a oem supplier it looks and works like the original. 

persof

I sprung for a new one from Kohler for $156 (OUCH) but even though the engine now runs it acts like its not getting enough fuel if the engine is under heavy load for more than 3~5 seconds?

Is there a fuel flow test?  I replaced the fuel filter the same time as the pump.  Turning the main jet (which was fine before) a 1/2 turn rich made no difference.

How much fuel should this thing pump at what RPM???

Thanks
Francis

I will be looking at http://then-now-auto.com/kohler-fuel-pumps-2/

If  cleaning  it  doesn't work they're  available on amozon for about 30-35 bucks the cheap ones are the same as the 100 dollar ones from  kohler 

mikekot3

Hello Francis,
Thanks for sharing the website.

Horse46
:text-+1: on that link, I may need to visit there too.

BESTDOGEVER

Check the gas cap and  screen  on the  shut off  

WH nut

I sprung for a new one from Kohler for $156 (OUCH) but even though the engine now runs it acts like its not getting enough fuel if the engine is under heavy load for more than 3~5 seconds?

Is there a fuel flow test?  I replaced the fuel filter the same time as the pump.  Turning the main jet (which was fine before) a 1/2 turn rich made no difference.

How much fuel should this thing pump at what RPM???

Thanks
Francis

I will be looking at http://then-now-auto.com/kohler-fuel-pumps-2/

Did you properly adjust the carb after you had it a part?

BESTDOGEVER

Just a thought did you check the fuel line it might be collapsing . The ethanol in the gas will rot them pretty bad