DennisThornton

"I was NOT going to buy another tractor this year!"

DennisThornton

I think that's what I heard her say!  Or maybe in not so many or the same words.

But I just had to!  Saw it in Craigslist, saw the price and bought in the dark last night.  Got some issues but I drove it up the ramps!  Haven't had time to unload or really check it out, yet.
Funny part, I live in NY and this was an hour and a half into Vt.  We get it all loaded and 10pm or so I head back but stopped to fill up.  Just me and another car at the station and the other driver gets out, asks me if he can look at the tractor and then proceeds to tell me it's history!  What are the odds?  It does need a ignition switch but he tells me the rear leaks real bad and will need a heavy duty hub kit.  Maybe axles.  I didn't know they had any issues?  "Hub kit"  And I was surprised to hear maybe axles.  He says these "xi"s rears are not fun to work on either!  Well, hard to get at.  Not what I wanted to hear but for what I paid for it, it really doesn't matter.

522xi
48" deck
weight box
17cu/ft (I think!) Toro trailer

522xi left.jpg

522xi right.jpg

• Like 9

AMC RULES
Funny how, these days...  :confusion-shrug:
no matter what the subject, there's an authority every where you go. 
Nice new :wh: score Dennis...good luck with it.    
:greetings-clapyellow:
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

The years not over until the ball drops:happy-jumpeveryone:, you've got time for at least one more!:woohoo::ychain:

• Like 2

DougC

Looks to me like you did OK............. Everything I've ever bought needed work. That's part of the low, low price and part of the thrill of victory when you get it done......:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

You have a pickup bed full of WH , had a nice drive , met a know it all , what else could you ask for. You like you made a good haul. You drove it up the ramps and did not notice any falling parts so you came out ahead. Looks like you got a deal on another horse.

• Like 1

wh500special

Nice.  

Looks like a Recycler mulching deck too!   Bonus.  

God bless 8-foot beds.  You would have had to leave something behind with a smaller truck.  

Congrats.  

Steve

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Good job! You are 2/3 of the way to having a trio.

I have heard of needing axles if neglected. My 520xi had the transaxle reworked by the dealer I bought it from but don't know any details.

857 horse

Isnt it funny.......You hear tales of a horse.."jumping in the back of our truck"   .....and in some instances,,,"AS WE DROVE BY"......

Something you dont hear here is....how some one dumped a horse at the land fill.............Can the big box stores say the same???

Bad axles,,,Bad teeth....Throw a shoe or 2,,,,,,,,We fix um........PERIOD !!!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Nice find, congrats

• Like 1

Xearl

I love my xi's . I ran the 518 for years  before the hub issue .  I have graded many 10 wheeler loads with a plow on . I now have the 523DXI with a snow blower . I'll see how that works out this winter . Lot's of luck and have fun . ED

slammer302

Looks like we had the same thing on our minds yesterday

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Good job! You are 2/3 of the way to having a trio.

I have heard of needing axles if neglected. My 520xi had the transaxle reworked by the dealer I bought it from but don't know any details.

John, I'm chasing you!  Trouble is I've never even seen a 523xi!  Doesn't look good that I will ever catch you!
DougC, it might very well need some $$$ before it's over, but I basically didn't pay anything for the tractor.  Didn't haggle over the price either!

Isnt it funny.......You hear tales of a horse.."jumping in the back of our truck"   .....and in some instances,,,"AS WE DROVE BY"......

Something you dont hear here is....how some one dumped a horse at the land fill.............Can the big box stores say the same???

I love my xi's . I ran the 518 for years  before the hub issue .  I have graded many 10 wheeler loads with a plow on . I now have the 523DXI with a snow blower . I'll see how that works out this winter . Lot's of luck and have fun . ED

Xearl!  Please share what you know about the "hub issue"!

857 horse, you are so correct!  Without this group I first off wouldn't have known what the heck a 522xi was nor have had the confidence to know that if I don't know someone if not several folks would know how to fix it.  Maybe even have the parts at a reasonable price!

You have a pickup bed full of WH , had a nice drive , met a know it all , what else could you ask for. You like you made a good haul. You drove it up the ramps and did not notice any falling parts so you came out ahead. Looks like you got a deal on another horse.

I was a ferry ticket, 90 minutes and another day away so I was determined to get it all in there.  I had NO room to spare to get the tractor and the cart in and just managed to get the tail gate closed!  We also barely got the deck up and over the side!  Heavy!  

Sweet ride home though!

Looks like we had the same thing on our minds yesterday

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

We did!  I'm trusting you are still smiling!  It's like Christmas!  Or Father's day!  Only lasts longer!  :D

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Dang Dennis...nice horse, very nice deck, plus a good looking trailer...and no one even mentioned the nice cup holder.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Dang Dennis...nice horse, very nice deck, plus a good looking trailer...and no one even mentioned the nice cup holder. 

Weight box too my friend!  Got a few issues and one that I'd like your thoughts and help on.

Needs an ignition switch, deck looks real nice except for a good bit of welding that looks more like someone almost tore off the right rear corner and wheel!  MIGed inside and out!  Looks adequate but was at such low a heat that it will take some time to grind off the excess.  Hoping that welded from both sides it got good enough penetration.  Odd since I see no metal damage and it's hard to think they were just stress cracks!

My big concern, and I was told, but didn't realize how bad...  Right rear seal doesn't leak, it pours!  I'm guessing it's more than just a seal!  Just sitting in the truck it has leaked a lot!  Left is fine, but I fear I'll need to split the case, and I gather that is far less fun on these "xi"s.

You do a video on one of these?

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Nice haul!! Now you have a Winter project. Good score.

shallowwatersailor

I'd suggest a PM message to Lars in Norway. He had to replace his axle(s) about two years ago on a 520Lxi.

• Like 2

Xearl

When I was working on my 518XI  key way weld project and had the hub on and off several times it started leaking just like that .  I thought it was going to be something like a bearing but tried a new seal anyway and it was fixed .  Good luck .  ED

DennisThornton

When I was working on my 518XI  key way weld project and had the hub on and off several times it started leaking just like that .  I thought it was going to be something like a bearing but tried a new seal anyway and it was fixed .  Good luck .  ED

I sure hope you are right, but this really leaks!   I may jack it up right in the truck before I unload it!  Fingers crossed!  If there's no movement I will celebrate all over again!  It will be like 2 Christmases before Thanksgiving!

Forest Road

Ahhh the extra 18" in a pickup. Sounds like you got a deal. The dealer, Emerichs in Ballston Spa, replaced both seals on mine before I purchased it. 3 year later with a loader and 400lbs + in the ballast box no issues. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Ahhh the extra 18" in a pickup. Sounds like you got a deal. The dealer, Emerichs in Ballston Spa, replaced both seals on mine before I purchased it. 3 year later with a loader and 400lbs + in the ballast box no issues. Good luck

Fingers crossed!

You got a FEL on yours!  Man I want one too!  

And Ballston Spa?  North Jersey?  Help me.

Forest Road

Ballston Spa NY. You really want an FEL? PM me. I keep my machines at our camp near Gore Mountain.

stevasaurus

No video of one of those Dennis, but John is right...PM Lars.  One thing about Lars, he takes tons of pictures and is more then willing to help.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

What comes in this Hub Kit??

DennisThornton

Ballston Spa NY. You really want an FEL? PM me. I keep my machines at our camp near Gore Mountain.

I live near Peru and work in Keeseville.  Been to Ballston Spa many a time.  Dragged my C-160 home from near there.  Sent a PM as well.

DennisThornton

Finally got her unloaded and what a nice day to do so!  Didn't even see what else came with it until today, though I suspected because of the weight box.  Must have had a snowblower because of the rear hitch.  And that it came from Vermont!

While it was handy I checked out the leaks.  Next post.

20151108_111933.jpg

20151108_114648.jpg

20151108_120743.jpg

Edited by DennisThornton
cut "the"
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

Right off I noticed no right hub bolts and when I touched the tire I thought I felt and saw movement between the hub and axle and wondered...  Yep!  I pulled the hub off by hand!  I expected to see a worn out mess but nope.  Everything looked good!  Then I saw and touched a heavy half curve of wire that fell out!  That's it sitting on top of the axle in the pic.  No idea what someone must have thought that would do!  Didn't seem to do any harm.  Shaft looks good!  But of course the bearings are shot...  Nope!  No movement at all!  

Can I drill a little hole and pull that seal with a screw?

Best choice for a seal?  Did I read somewhere that sometimes there's room for two seals?

Man I'm all smiles here!  It's a good day!  I think I dodged a bullet!

(I put bolts back in for now and the sun hit the lower one and made it look like a light bulb!)

20151108_110358.jpg

20151108_112414.jpg

20151108_112708.jpg

20151108_112720.jpg

20151108_112728.jpg

20151108_114312.jpg

No video of one of those Dennis, but John is right...PM Lars.  One thing about Lars, he takes tons of pictures and is more then willing to help.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

What comes in this Hub Kit??

All I can find for a hub kit is a hub, key and bolts.  1/2" bolts on mine!  Right now it looks like all I need is a seal!  :woohoo:  

104-5053 None
-
None
None Rear Wheel Hub Kit, 5xi Garden Tractors
  • Like 2