Ian928

FINN-HORSE Digger, any info?

Horse Digger

Here trying to capture the quick release feature of the digger. Haven't tried it yet but it seems like one only remove the hydraulic hoses at the pump and release tow pin, then driving the tractor forward away from the digger...

Of course, first one have to park the digger rear of the tractor and balance the hight of the platform so no load is on tractor and its not hanging in the air...

20160716_084711.jpg

20160716_084750.jpg

Edited by Horse Digger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Horse Digger

Exhaust and muffler looks modified, but engine noise is comfortably low so I will leave it as is, more or less.

Planning to make an U-bend at the end so a used tin can will be useless...

Because of the hydraulic pump, the hood cannot be opened more than a couple of inches, therefore a hole is made for filling gas.

Checking and filling oil is possible, but spark plug and air filter is not accesable without loosening a bolt or 10... 

I should make some quick release for the complete hood, anyone done that and want to share it?

20160716_084817.jpg

Edited by Horse Digger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

You certainly have an interesting piece of equipment. Keep us updated on your progress .

Horse Digger

Identification, please...

Some erlier owner gave it a bad paint job. Grey Paint with a brush, no need to clean or sand before....

Covering everything that could be reached, even identification plates was included. Trying to remove the paint was succsessful, but text on type-plate was removed aswell...

Worked out better om the engine Plate though, but i cannot figure out how to search for it on www.kohlerengines.com, seems like som java error, even if I like coffee...

Anyone who can help me, i suspect a engine swap, some bolt-holes look suspicious, will show you later.

20160717_094832.jpg

Edited by Horse Digger
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Wheel Horse used the 47421d spec number 1973-1977.

If the Kohler serial number is 6244297 it was part of their 1974 production run. It should have ended up on a 1974 or 1975 model tractor.

1974 tractor models

1-0352

1-0353

1-0354

1-0356

1975 tractor models

1-0395

1-0396

Just a guess your's has relatives

Garry

• Like 2

Horse Digger

Ok, since mine have range selector the model must be 1-353, presumably from 1974. I'm sorry the identification plate is unable to read though.

Earlier I suspected a engine swap since two holes in the oil pan was not used, however i found at the engine section that big block Kohler have alternative fastening and on (some?) WH, the outmost is not used.

I'm glad the engine seems to be original or at least original type, and that is is properly mounted.

Making plans for a oil change, since I'm not going to use it in winter SAE30 will do, however one oil I found was API CD/SF/GL 1. According to the manual SC is required, can it be that SF fulfills SC (a upgrade) or should I keep looking for SC?

Regarding paint, is it possible to buy original WH red, or do I need a recipe and ask my local paint supplier to blend it?NCS or other color number?

gwest_ca

SF does replace SC. The CD/SF is what I use so far but don't know how long it will be available.

The CD (C=compression) is a diesel classification.

The SF (S=spark) is a gasoline classification.

Believe they are up to a SN now and it is not good for flat tappet camshafts.

There are 2 bolts going up through the right frame rail into the bottom of the oil pan.

International Harvester tractor red is the color they tried to get as close as possible. A paint supplier should have a code for it.

Garry

• Like 2

Horse Digger

Great, thanks.

I understand this might be trivial information for you but for me this is a new way of living(...!?)

Looking at my mowing "tractor", a Husqvarna LTH 151 from 2004, i now realize how construction can be (Husqvarna) and how it should be (WheelHorse)....

I have no mower deck for the WH and I probably will keep the LTH 151, but the WH already is my favorite.

When digging in the lawn I will need a dump trailer to move the dirt away,, so right now I'm in to converting my old one with reinforcements and a electrical tipper motor.

Wait for pictures of that.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Digger

I have a trailer already, but due to overload the tipper feature was disabled. I don't like the function where the wheel axle become tipper axle aswell and have a different idea.

A more rigid frame made from 40x40 mm square tube...

20160718_083444.jpg

A plywood plate under the steel bottom will hopefully keep it more flat...

Reinforcements under the plate, partly in order to get the space for axle and wheels beneath.

20160719_080852.jpg

Edited by Horse Digger
  • Like 2

Horse Digger

Ok, regarding the turnaround feature, it's not turning 360 but 180 degrees, I found it out when i attempted to try to make a slope in order to drive this thing to the backgarden. It is not a hydraulic motor that makes the turning motion but a cylinder. A bit irritating realising that one have spent 20 minutes trying to position the machine correct and it should be the other way around..

Edited by Horse Digger
  • Like 1

Horse Digger

Tried to check air filter today, and despite the hood cannot be opened much, i managed to remove the filter and it looks fine. Tried to locate a dealer selling replacement, seems I found a in Denmark but hope to find more closer. However, plan a trip to Denmark next week, anyone heard of Legoland?

To improve traction I bought tire chains, cheapest possible, of course, had to shorten the chain on the outmost of the wheels, no big deal...

Very handy with a built in lift... 

20160727_091535.jpg

Edited by Horse Digger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Digger

This evening I trained with the digger, big fun but not as easy as it looks. Making smooth moves and even surfaces takes some practice...

I'm still too ashamed of my performance to put a video here...wait for it...

Weight is a problem so I got two wheel-weights from my fathers agricultural tractor, I believe they are at least 100 pounds each...

These I can place strategical to prevent tip over...

• Like 1

jetmandan
12 hours ago, Horse Digger said:

This evening I trained with the digger, big fun but not as easy as it look

I can relate to that statement. Recently, a Cad Digger tow-able backhoe followed me home. Was built by a buddy of mine but he lives too far away to come help me, getting used to the controls and making smooth movements is taking longer then I thought it would.

Dan

Cad Digger home now.jpg

Edited by jetmandan
speeeling
  • Like 5

Horse Digger
21 minutes ago, jetmandan said:

I can relate to that statement. Recently, a Cad Digger tow-able backhoe followed me home. Was built by a buddy of mine but he lives too far away to come help me, getting used to the controls and making smooth movements is taking longer then I though it would.

Dan

Impressive work of your friend, is it his (or her) profession to build this things?

(But I think mine have a better seat.)

I would like a smaller bucket, more like the one on yours. We have a lot of cleat and with a dry summer it's hard as rock...

jetmandan
4 hours ago, Horse Digger said:

Impressive work of your friend, is it his (or her) profession to build this things?

(But I think mine have a better seat.)

I would like a smaller bucket, more like the one on yours. We have a lot of cleat and with a dry summer it's hard as rock...

Cad digger builder (Joe) is a retired millwright, he and I both enjoy building our own "toys" (coincidentally, I'm also a millwright). Seat has already been replaced with a garden tractor style one from a grocery store electric shopping cart. Future plans are to add a Wheel Horse hood to protect engine from elements, repaint to a proper IH Red and I have an idea of a sun/rain roof to keep me dry. During summer, our ground turns to something close to the hardness of concrete, a narrower bucket is already coming together. Couple days ago I tried to lift a gas powered welder into a pickup, had power to lift but without any counter weight, I'll I did was raise motor end. Thinking a removable bracket that can hold a 55 gallon plastic barrel for counter weight will take care of that problem.

Dan

• Like 2

Horse Digger

According to Google translate millwright is a person building and maintaining mills, didn't know this was such a common profession.

55 gallons, filled with water thats about 400 lbs, right? Are there brakes at the wheels? This too should help, given the wheels touch the ground...

jetmandan
2 hours ago, Horse Digger said:

According to Google translate millwright is a person building and maintaining mills, didn't know this was such a common profession.

55 gallons, filled with water thats about 400 lbs, right? Are there brakes at the wheels? This too should help, given the wheels touch the ground...

In short a millwright is a fellow who installs, maintains, repairs all the equipment in a company. This is a Wikipedia definition of a millwright, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwright

I work in a furniture factory with about 400 employees, spend my days keeping all the machines running.

Back to the digger, the wheels do not have brakes, the front stabilizers dig in the earth and (mostly) keep me from moving forward while digging. The 55 gallon barrel filled should be close to 500 pounds. If I position it (or one on each side of engine?) that should allow me to use digger as a small crane as well as give me more ballast for breaking hard ground. My machine has more breakout force then its light weight can handle. Do not have any videos of my digger in action but here a few of others who have built same machine.

Mini Backhoe CADDigger 728

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m574x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKWt_3Z8Jo4

Looking forward to seeing videos of your Finn Horse!!

Dan

Horse Digger
7 hours ago, jetmandan said:

In short a millwright is a fellow who installs, maintains, repairs all the equipment in a company. This is a Wikipedia definition of a millwright, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwright

I work in a furniture factory with about 400 employees, spend my days keeping all the machines running.

Back to the digger, the wheels do not have brakes, the front stabilizers dig in the earth and (mostly) keep me from moving forward while digging. The 55 gallon barrel filled should be close to 500 pounds. If I position it (or one on each side of engine?) that should allow me to use digger as a small crane as well as give me more ballast for breaking hard ground. My machine has more breakout force then its light weight can handle. Do not have any videos of my digger in action but here a few of others who have built same machine.

Mini Backhoe CADDigger 728

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m574x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKWt_3Z8Jo4

Looking forward to seeing videos of your Finn Horse!!

Dan

Understand your profession now, sorry for the misunderstanding. Google translate actually have a bad reputation here in Scandinavia, being joked at for changing the whole meaning of a sentence...

The digger, looks like there are a lot of them more or less looking the same, but you said your friend built it. Are there some kind of a kit that can be bought to put together these, otherwise I wonder why they are all alike.

Looks like power is not the issue, but weight (and counterweight) often is. On my digger power is more of an issue, and movement too...

Your digger can easily be moved simply by using the arm. When I want to move mine, I have to swing the tractor around, park the bucket at the front, raise the platform and then drive the tractor.

Despite the weight of the barrel, almost all weight sits at the rear wheels, so turning sharp or climbing even small slopes is hard.

I've got 8 holes in the platform where I can run spears in the earth, have not been using this yet, but I got three spears with the machine.

I guess this improves stability much, but it makes moving even harder (or more time-consuming). 

Edited by Horse Digger

jetmandan

This is the web site that sells the plans for my digger https://www.cadplans.com/ I've heard that the plans have been available mail order for years from back of Popular Science magazines. Somewhere online, I've also seen free downloads for a similar design digger. By pure coincidence, I also have the Cad loader, https://www.cadplans.com/cadloaderlt-model-507.html

Bought a worn out Gilson /Montgomery Wards garden tractor with it from a neighbor for $200, will be mounting the loader on one of my Wheel Horses soon.

Dan

Horse Digger

Forgot the tin can and drove to Legoland a couple of days, now I don't have to worry about that anymore...

20160808_092751.thumb.jpg.dee885d60e6ff3409f01e8206128247f.jpg

Edited by Horse Digger
New pic
  • Like 1

Horse Digger

Hi,

Steering gear, two teeth missing.

Finding a used in Sweden seems hard, anyone tried to weld onto the sprocket and axle?

Seems like it is welded from start, so it should be possible.

I'm thinking of building up new teeth and grinding them to shape. Perfect is hard but just preventing jump over is enough for me...

When the digger is on, steering is limited by the digger frame but still jump over is possible at the ends.

20160808_092923.jpg

Lars

Hello Horse Digger.. btw i was drooling at that when i spotted it on blocket..

ill might have that steering part here in Norway. send me a pm..

• Like 1

Horse Digger

Ok,

Lars have convinced me that I should not attempt to weld new teeth on the steering gear, he just offered me the part to a very favorable price.

Thanks again, Lars

Btw, the other day I separated the tractor from the digger, pretty easy with just the coupling bolt holding it an quick release om the hoses.

However, joining them again will be trickier, trying to align the whole thing....

Horse Digger

Seems like transmission case cannot hold the oil inside, does not appear to be leaking from the axles, I guess the gasket between the two half's done.

Only way is to split the transfer case or anyone have easier way?

Ian928
On ‎15‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 4:46 PM, Horse Digger said:

No literature was included unfortunately, I've just the ones supplied in this thread. I wonder if Ian928 actually have seen the sales manual or he just had some pictures of it?

I'd really like a copy of any, if it's in Swedish even better...

Just saw that someone had replied to this thread! Nice Finn-Horse!!!

I just copied pictures from the other ad on Blocket.se of the manual. Maybe it is possible to find the owner of the other Finn-horse and get a copy?

Found a picture: even with "roof"!

http://www.muistaja.fi/imageinfo.php?muistilista=true&id=67678&view=lres

Edited by Ian928
  • Like 1