ccrawfor8645

Wheel Horse 520-H replacement engine

ccrawfor8645

I am new to this forum.  We bought a 1988 Wheel Horse 520-H garden tractor brand new back in 1988.  We have a 48 inch mower deck, snow plow, snow blower.  We also have a harrow, a single plow that are not made by Wheel Horse.  We borrowed my dad's cultivator and used it as is and also put a single furrower plow onto it to make rows in our garden with the tractor's clevis hitch.  We had the engine replaced with a Briggs Straton with a 20 horse about 5 - 6 years ago that cost about $1500 back then.  The engine has cracked again where part of the engine block has come off and leaked oil all over.   Our Wheel Horse dealer close to us is very nice and honest and said it is not worth replacing the engine again.  I think the transmission was also starting to go as it was the original one.

We also have a Wheel Horse 520xxxxx garden tractor that has a bucket loader on it with a 60 inch deck.  I am not sure of the year may be 2004, whenever the last year Wheel Horse made garden tractors.  We have only had the mower deck on twice since we had it as we used the 520-H tractor to do the mowing.  The dealer came to our house to take off the bucket loader and put on the mower deck and then back on again.  It is hard for me to figure out how to do it.  I tried it once and was unsuccessful.  We leave the bucket loader on and use it in the winter to plow snow and in the summer for garden and the neighbor's use it for mulch, etc.  (Our neighborhood does a lot of bartering as each one has a different specialty and saves on actually paying for services by someone else.) 

I am in thinking along with the dealer that replacing the engine and possibly the transmission is too expensive to replace and not worth it.  I am thinking that I can use the plows and harrow from the old tractor on the new tractor as we have the clevis hitch attachment that came with the new tractor. 

Some questions:

1.  Can we use the snow plow and snow blower from the 520-H on the new 520xxxxx tractor?
2.  Does anyone know of any links that show how to remove the bucker loader from the new tractor and put on the mower deck and the part on the front that connects the belt from the tractor to the mower belt ourselves?  And then when done take the mower deck off and put the bucket loader back on?  I believe we can't have the mower deck on with the bucket loader at the same time as the bucket loader frame connects under the tractor.  The books that we have really are not food enough for me as my husband has dementia and I am learning to do a lot of the work myself.  I would also have to take off the weight box on the back of the newer tracker that is needed along with the bucket loader and put on the clevis hitch that came with the newer tractor.  When done, put back on the weight box when the bucket loader is put back on.

Also, I want to be able to use attach the clevis hitch that came with the newer tractor on the back that holds the harrow and single plow.  I also want to purchase a cultivator and a furrower single plow to attach to the newer tractor to able to make garden rows, etc., easier so I don't have to borrow my dads that lives an hour away.  I had to rig up the single furrower plow that attaches to our Troy Built big rototiller, that my husband used to use but I have not totally figured out how to use yet,, to or 520-H tractor clever hitch.  It is over 30 years old also.  

I used to do a lot of gardening for canning and freezing - a rare breed anymore.  My husband used to prepare the garden, make the rows with the old tractor.  I would just plant the plants or seeds.  He would then cover up the rows, putting on fertilizer when needed, etc.  I would then harvest the crop, etc.  I am having to figure all of that our myself since he is starting with dementia at 55.  I am a few years younger than him.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  If others think that not fixing up the old tractor is worth it as we are financially living off my income and are on a tight budget, suggestions on links to web sites to sell our old tractor for parts and to also sell the snow plow and snow blower if they can't be used on the newer tractor would be appreciated besides craigslist and ebay.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

First of all :text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:  and I send my prayers to you and your husband and commend you for your spirit in addressing the situation you are in.

As far as the tractors, I think it is clear, you need two tractors. I would leave the front end loader on the one and look for a replacement for the 520H.
Any C, 300,400, or 500 series tractor should be able to use the existing attachments from the 520H.
Good used  C-120s, C-160s , 312s, 314s etc. without attachments should be readily  available for sale in the $400- $600range.
You can use the classified section on this site to sell and buy parts and tractors.
There are many posts on this site detailing  the procedures to remove and install equipment.   You can do a search for this type of information.
I am sure others will be on here soon to offer help.
Best regards,

• Like 5

boovuc

I'm with Ed on this one as well. The Briggs Vanguard replacement engine you had on the 520 is still just under 1600 dollars new. You can't find them used and used Onan's are expensive too plus you have no idea what your getting. If the Eaton transmission is also losing power once it's warmed up, your best bet is to forgo that tractor. If you use ground contact attachments like garden plows, the hydro transmissions are not recommended. I would look for a 12 to 18 horsepower Wheelhorse with the 8 speed manual transmission. (hi/lo Range). As Ed mentioned, the 300 and 400 series tractors use the same attachments as your 520 with just a few exceptions. You could easily use a single cylinder Kohler 12 or 14 horse tractor to do everything you did with your 520 and save yourself a lot of money plus you will have less headaches with a simpler Kohler single. Look for the newer 312 8 Speed and 314 8 speed and the older C Series tractors with the Kohler 12 or 14HP engine. Just make sure what you get has a horizontal shaft engine with the "classic" PTO on the side like your 520 has.
If you still want to stay with an automatic, do NOT look at a 312-A, a 516 H or a 518 H. These have the Eaton 700 hydro rears and are not at all for use with ground engagement attachments. Again, most of us will recommend the manuals verses the hydros for garden plowing and tilling, etc.

You can sell your old 520H for parts here in our classified section and list it on your local CraigsList. Just keep the attachments that you used with the 520 for use with another WH tractor!
You should let us know where you live under location and also list it in the add you place for the parts tractor. The classified add has to show a price so you can tell us what you want for it and then state "or best offer". You would be surprised how close you might live to a Redsquare member. We make house calls too and other than some donuts and coffee, it's free! :happy-jumpeveryone:

Oh and Welcome to the Forum! We're glad you found us!

Edited by boovuc
  • Like 6

ericj

i would recomend not selling off your 520-H till after you find a replacement tractor becuase you may need parts from it like the rear lift on the new tractor. the manual trans tractors pull the ground engaging tools better then the hydro's, but you might want the hydro lift to lift the tools out off the ground instead of using your arm to lift. you can pick up a 312 or 314 for about $ 300.00 more or less. which might be less then what the dealer charges to do the swap 2 times a year. i lost my mom to dementia last year about this time so good luck to you and your husband

eric j

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

An ad here might be a good place to start. I can only wish you the very best of luck in your endeavors. 

Glenn

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

What is your location? Maybe someone here is close enough to stop by and help out

• Like 2

ccrawfor8645

Liverpool,pa

I looked at our newer tractor.  It is not a wheel horse 520xXxX.  It is a Toro 550 garden tractor supposedly the last year that Toro made garden tractors.  And both of our tractors are hydroloc and preferred.   I used my dad's old wheels horse made in 1965 and was manual and hated it when I lived at home.   

I d I could find a little used motor and transmission I would like to keep the old tractor. But we have not gotten husband disibility yet and are limited financially.    Really don't know what to do but will be willing to sell tractor for parts.  I would really like to use the old tractor snow blower on new tractor but was told it can't.  Is that true?

• Like 1

Forest Road

I'd have to agree w everyone else. Replace the 520h w another tractor. If you're no fan of 8 speeds there are plenty of Hydro tractors available. I have a 314h for mowing, snow blowing, snow plowing etc. it does it all w ease. These tractors sell for as little as $200 up to $1000. Condition & price seem to vary. Talk to your dealer maybe he can help find a used one.

If you have space you may want to keep the 520h for parts, tires, Clevis hitch.

I also have a twin to your loader. I've had the loader off once. It's a nuisance to put it mildly. Doubt I'll ever remove it again.

Your GT 550 was the last true wheel horse made. It was previously badged as a 522xi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ccrawfor8645

I am looking for now to remove the kwik-way front loader from my toro 550 tractor.  I want to put on the mower deck and the attachmate to mow our grass.  I then want to attach the clevis hitch and lifter to put on a plow on the back to  use in the garden.  when done, I want to put back on the loader.

The book is not really that helpful on taking off the loader.  It sounds not too hard.  I can't find any videos on how to do either one.  Any one know where I can find these?

Another question, does the loader subframe have to come off before putting on the 60 inch mower deck?

Thanks,
Christina

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sorry Christina, I do not have any experience with FELs.    C'mon FEL owners, does the sub frame have to come off to mount the deck.  My guess is it would.

boovuc

Yes. The subframe for the loader must be removed to mount the mower deck unfortunitly.
I am north of you, Christina by about an hour and a half. I do know there was a member here on Redsquare that lives in Liverpool, PA. I have stopped at the Friendly Tavern many times when I go down Route 15 from my home near Lock Haven.
There are also some members in and around Sunbury and Berwick too.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

I have removed my FEL once.  That was enough for me.  It is bulky, and takes two people over an hour.
The subframe, pump, and pump mount all have to come off to get a mower deck on.
I'm sure you could do it.  It is easier with another set of hands.
The 520 implements are not compatable with a 550/522 tractor (mower/snowthrower.  Tow behind attachments to a hitch are probably interchangeable)
I agree with the general trend here that the easiest solution is to use two tractors.
Almost everyone that I know uses a dedicated loader tractor, set up with tires, weights, weightbox, etc. specific for loader use.
A second tractor for other attachments makes sense, and seems to be the way your husband worked in the past.
For the cost of a replacement transmission and engine, you could easily get a whole 520H ($600-900 here without attachments)
The 520H is more than adequate for plows, tillers, and other ground engaging attachments.  
The hydro lift is much easier on your arm than the lift lever on an 8-speed tractor. (Although I admit there are some pluses to an 8-speed)
That would get you back in your garden now, and give you time to think about rebuilding your original 520 when you are under a little less pressure.

• Like 1

ccrawfor8645

I would like to have 2 tractors but can't afford not even a 2nd used one at this time.  I have to put that money right now to keep my car and our truck running to pass inspection.    

it can't be that hard take off the front loader and put on the mower deck and to use a plow for the gaden right now.  Putting the front loader back on mIght take some doing though.   

I have read the front loader document one as given several times.     I still can't find any videos on how to take off the front loaders or to put it Back on.   I also can't find any videos on how to put on mower deck. All for the toro 550 tractor.  

Forest Road

Search videos for 518xi, 520xi, 522xi, and so on. Never understood why they changed the model name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick

the Eaton 1100 hydro is rated for ground engaging attachments. My 1990 416H Eaton transmission is still going strong with over 700 hours, plus the PO abused the tractor. If you could find, say a 314H with the Eaton Hydro, you would have plenty of tractor, in my opinion. I would find a corner in the shed to keep the 520, in case you need parts later.

• Like 1

ccrawfor8645

Our old 520 tractor is still at our Toro Wheel Horse dealer.  They sold the mower deck already.  I would really like to find a good running engine from a 520h tractor to put onto our old tractor and a used transmission to also put onto it.  I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I would like to really find a good running 520H tractor and use parts from our old one.  I would like to keep my snow blade and snow blower from our old tractor to use on a newer 520H tractor.  I have been trying to find a used 520H good running tractor but have not found one yet.

In the mean time, I have no choice but to use the current toro 550 GT that has the front loader on it.  I am requesting some help from other members that live in the Liverpool, PA, area to help take off the front loader and put on the parts to be able to use the clevis hitch for gardening and also to put on the mower deck.  Please respond to this entry.

Thank you,

Christina Crawford

Liverpool, PA

cleat

They sold your deck ?

I hope you were expecting that.

WNYPCRepair

Do you have the 48" deck now, or the 60"? I assume the dealer sold the 60", but I could be wrong. 

Also, would an 8 speed work?

ccrawfor8645

I was sort of expecting the mower 48 inch deck to be sold as it was rather new. 

I really would like another hydraulic 520h if possible. No manual.   

What is the difference between 520 and 520h.  

WNYPCRepair
17 minutes ago, ccrawfor8645 said:

I was sort of expecting the mower 48 inch deck to be sold as it was rather new. 

I really would like another hydraulic 520h if possible. No manual.   

What is the difference between 520 and 520h.  

The 60" is harder to find.

there is a 520-H and a 520-8

The H stands for Hydro, or automatic, and the 8 means it is an 8 speed. 

wh500special

I can feel your frustration with the loader being in the way.   

The clevis hitch kit is 94-7800 (I think).  You need to find the manual that should have come with the kit when it was purchased.   Perhaps somebody here has a copy if not.   

The manual will show how to mount it.  

I would expect, although not completely sure, that the loader can stay on with the clevis hitch.  The hydraulic control on the tractor itself does nothing for the loader so is free for the clevis.  If think you can get your garden chores done w/o taking the loader off. 

As as for mowing, maybe rather than replacing the old tractor you could find a pull behind mower with its own engine.  Then use the loader tractor to drag it around.   

Might be easier than messing with a clunky loader swap.  

The ultimate solution would be a tractor that lets the mower and loader play together.   This was always a shortcoming of using a gt as a loader tractor unless you had redundant machines.  Wh never worked that out.  

Best of luck.  

Steve

Forest Road
On April 2, 2016 at 0:16 PM, ccrawfor8645 said:

Our old 520 tractor is still at our Toro Wheel Horse dealer.  They sold the mower deck already.  I would really like to find a good running engine from a 520h tractor to put onto our old tractor and a used transmission to also put onto it.  I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I would like to really find a good running 520H tractor and use parts from our old one.  I would like to keep my snow blade and snow blower from our old tractor to use on a newer 520H tractor.  I have been trying to find a used 520H good running tractor but have not found one yet.

In the mean time, I have no choice but to use the current toro 550 GT that has the front loader on it.  I am requesting some help from other members that live in the Liverpool, PA, area to help take off the front loader and put on the parts to be able to use the clevis hitch for gardening and also to put on the mower deck.  Please respond to this entry.

Thank you,

Christina Crawford

Liverpool, PA

If you you want to save money buy another tractor. Don't invest another penny in this one.

heres a video removing the same loader you have from a simplicity. It's the same method to get the loader off the sub frame. 

WNYPCRepair
On April 2, 2016 at 3:03 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

The 60" is harder to find.

there is a 520-H and a 520-8

The H stands for Hydro, or automatic, and the 8 means it is an 8 speed. 

There is a 520xi also, is it possible you have one of those? It has a body style a lot like the simplicity in the video

Edit: I just read back, it appears you do have a 520xi (550GT). The attachments will not interchange between the 520xi/550GT and the older models like a 520H

Edited by WNYPCRepair

ccrawfor8645

It has been awhile since I have updated on this thread. 

My local Toro/wheel Horse dealer was able to sell my old tractor for parts.  He was able to sell my old tractor snow blower also.  He is still working on selling my old tractor snow blade.

My neighbor and I read the Toro GT550 manuals and was able to figure out how to get the front loader off.  It was really not that bad,  just a few clips to take off the front loader to place onto its posts, took off the front attach mate so could leave the hoses in place, and just backed out from the front loader.  It only then took a few clips to take off the subframe.  We also had to take off the weight box.  That was it. 

Then it was fun trying to figure out how to put on the clevis hitch to use a garden plow and harrow.  It was then fun trying to read the 60 inch mower deck manuals to put on the mower deck.   I still have an issue trying to use the bigger plow to dig up the ground to prepare for planting.  The plow does not seem to down as deep as I thought it should.  I was trying to rig up something that I could use a single plow to dig the rows for planting potatoes, etc.  The plow goes onto the back of our old 108x Troy Built rototiller that I can't figure out how to use.  I got something to work but not very well.   I would really like a small plow to make rows for the potatoes, etc., that will just hook right onto the clevis hitch.

I have to now get the tractor ready for winter and need to put on the front loader again.  I read the mower deck manuals and was able to get take off the attach mate and the mower deck without too much trouble.  It was pretty simple.  It took me about 45 minutes to do it as it took me longer to just get the mower deck out from under the tractor. 

The next thing is to take off the clevis hitch so I can put the weight box back on.  The question for this is what do I do with the cable that goes from under the tractor that is connected to the arm lifter then the other end attaches to the clevis hitch?  Can the cable stay on?  It was really hard to put on the cable in the first place.

I also noticed that GT550 tractor is leaking oil in the left front close to where the oil filter is.  I put the tractor up on car ramps.  I can see there is a lot of gunk around the oil filter.  How do you change the oil in a GT550 tractor?  How do you change the oil filter?  I can't see an easy way to get to the oil filter?  What is the best oil to use in the winter time when only using a front loader for plowing snow.  Eventually I would like to get a snow blower for this tractor as long as it is not too hard to put on. 

This tractor's back tires keeps going flat.  I had a hard time getting them off.  My neighbor had to help me take the weights off using a punch and rubber mallet to pound out the weights from the wheel rims.  We then jacked up the back one side at a time to get the tires off.  We put each side on a cement block.  I am having the local dealer put tubes in the tires seem to not have any cracks in the rubber.  I am also having them put back on the chains the right way as I has to use tie downs to make the chains tighter to the tire.  We leave the chains on all the time, even mowing grass.  It is too hard for me to take the chains off and put them back on.  When I go to put the tires back on the tractor and put the weights back on, is there any recommendations to putting the weights back on?

I am trying to do some of this on my own to save a little money as we are still on a fixed income with my husband's dementia that is still not too bad yet. 

My neighbors are helping me a lot with the tractor reading the manuals with me.  They also use the tractor for their needs like gardening.  We barter a lot in my neighborhood for things like fixing cars, using tractors, carpentry, plumbers, masonry, etc.

Thanks,

Christina

• Like 1