slammer302

Lawn Ranger winter project

slammer302

I thought i would share my little lawn ranger winter project with you guys i bought this little guy over the summer and haven't did much with it besides give it a good cleaning it ran when i got it but smoked a little and was had to start and the more i used it the worse it got i think it is a combination of things so the plan is to focus on the engine wont really know how bad it is till i tear into it i will keep you posted.

IMG_20151102_105232019.jpg

IMG_20151102_105242320.jpg

IMG_20151102_105158774_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Jparkes43

Cool! looks like an awesome project! look forward to seeing more of it.

James

KC9KAS

Looks like a good/complete tractor.

I have a Techy 6 hp that is very contrary when it comes to starting too!
It seems to have to have 1 carb setting to start and a different carb setting to run good. I just leave it set to run good and pull the darn tractor to start it!

• Like 1

redrooster

I'd like to have it! Somebody sell me one!

DennisThornton

I would love to have the time to go through mine!  I'll be following closely!  Lots of pictures please!

slammer302

Started taking the motor apart today here's what I got to work with. Found a set of rings on eBay for pretty cheap I will probably order them 189970191bb5b6980a030cb48effbd13.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:                       It is great to start with a complete :wh: and not have to hunt for parts and pieces.                   :text-bravo:
  • Like 1

slammer302
:text-coolphotos:

It is great to start with a complete 

:wh:

and not have to hunt for parts and pieces.                   

:text-bravo:

that is very true

• Like 1

Coadster32

Cool little tractor. Good luck with the rebuild.B)

SylvanLakeWH

Nice tractor!
best of luck on the rebuild!

slammer302

I found a nice hh60 on CL going to look at in a few min if it checks out it will be for the lawn ranger the price is 125$ not sure if its a good deal or not but seems easier then a full rebuild 

HH60.jpg

• Like 2

Brian01

Nice, I seen that on CL, IMHO, worth every penny.

Heck I sale parts engines that don't run all the time for $75-140

Terry M
2 hours ago, slammer302 said:

I found a nice hh60 on CL going to look at in a few min if it checks out it will be for the lawn ranger the price is 125$ not sure if its a good deal or not but seems easier then a full rebuild 

HH60.jpg

Slammer, Just a heads up....HH60's make nice replacements for the H60.  But, an HH60 from a troy built tiller(like what you have pictured) is slightly different when it comes to  the oil level in these engines.   A few I've found,  have a "slightly modified or different oil dipper and all of them I've seen have a different length dip stick because of the way these engines are mounted on the tillers. What I mean is  on a troy built tiller , the engine mounts slightly back with the output side of the crank pointed  more downward.  Nothing wrong with that but looks like tecumseh did these changes to accommodate the design on these tillers.   worth checking out....mostly though, you may need to just find a correct length dipstick if you choose to use this engine.  I,ve taken many of these apart, so i'm just giving you my 2 cents.   The dipsticks are numbered, but off the top of my head I can't remember what they are.   

• Like 1

jimkemp

The HH60 is the motor I was looking for my 656 , at that price I would grab it and if you end up not wanting it let me know and I would like it for my tractor

• Like 1

slammer302

Looks like the motor is a newer short block has a tag on it that says SBH just got home with it

Brian01

Cool, aint mounted and cruisin' in the yard yet!? 

lol

Terry M
36 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

Looks like the motor is a newer short block has a tag on it that says SBH just got home with it

I thought SBH = short block horizontal shaft....

slammer302

IMG_20151122_203426561.jpg

slammer302

I pulled the head off to see what it looked like inside and noticed lots of oil around the intake valve and took the air filter off and it was full of oil I guess someone ran the crank case breather hose into the air filter housing and teckys love to blow oil out the breather when over full on oil so hope removing the hose will fix it

slammer302

Got the motor back together and mounted on the lawn ranger and it runs great no smoke I think its going to work well still waiting on my crank shaft sleeve to show up.

IMG_20151124_130712831.jpg

• Like 4

Brian01

You use the old front engine Tin? 

I want an ol lawn ranger so bad...

slammer302

Yes I used the old engine shroud the one that came on the new engine was different it didn't have the holes in it for the gas line and also had two holes in the front of it for the side ways gas tank mount plus I just like the look of the original one

Brian01

Yeah, I noticed no holes for gas line...I like the look of it too

Brian01
On 11/25/2015 at 7:47 PM, Brian01 said:

You use the old front engine Tin? 

I want an ol lawn ranger so bad...

Have one, for now....lol