Snowmobileaddict

Picked up a Kwik-Way Loader for my 522xi

Snowmobileaddict

Yep, I thought about it for a while, and having the ability to keep the loader in "storage mode" without the pump carrier and hoses hanging around became a priority.  This way I can stash the pump and hoses in big Rubbermaid tub with a lid under my workbench.  I have about $50 into the couplers with shipping from universalhoseandfitting.

cleat

Good build. Your paint looks like it lays on nice, almost looks professionally done.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Cleat

Snowmobileaddict
1 hour ago, cleat said:

Good build. Your paint looks like it lays on nice, almost looks professionally done.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Cleat

Thanks!

The photos might be deceiving.  But it does look pretty nice.  The trick with Rustoleum rattle can is the recoat times.  Its 15 mins, or 5 days!

The label might say 15 mins or 48 hours, but the paint will still eat itself because of all the thinners in the rattle can.  The recoat has to be applied to really dried, cured  paint.  Anything less and the recoat will wrinkle and look like someone brushed on zip strip after you put the rattle can down and walked away for an hour!

Snowmobileaddict

Got last of the priming done before the arctic air retned, did some hose mockup to see quick connect clearance and got the control valve decal applied.  Can't wait to see this thing done and ready to work.

KAkVjnj.jpg

TbVrpJf.jpg

y28Fj5o.jpg

ULUlKZr.jpg

Ju5PaL6.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Finally done with painting!

This weekend will be final assembly and plumbing.

i1WgQuG.jpg

9Hnnwsr.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

Looking good Andy, plumbing looks nice. I would use leak lock or someting like it  on the threads... http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklock.html

Snowmobileaddict
13 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

Looking good Andy, plumbing looks nice. I would use leak lock or someting like it  on the threads... http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklock.html

Yep, I bought a can of pipe dope just for this project.  I forget the brand, but it is a slow set, flexible, pipe dope thread lube that met the specs I was working with for this hydraulics application.  I read lots of posts on Teflon tape being fine and Teflon tape being terrible no how careful you are with the first couple threads. 

In the end I think I read more about not using tape than using tape.  So, high performance pipe dope won out.

cleat

Of course, pipe dope only on pipe fittings, none on any other type.

Tape will work but you need to make sure no loose bits get into the system.

Even with dope, just lightly coat the male threads almost to the end making sure none gets into fitting where it can contaminate your system.

Cleat

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

Got some time in the shop today.  It's a pretty mild thaw kind of day as well.  Over 40F so no need to fire up the wood stove.

I worked on a bunch of plumbing but ran out of steam in a hurry.  Feeling like death warmed over with a head cold since Friday night.  Blechhhhh.

Some progress photos.  I'm going to take a nap.

OKZoJYg.jpg

hKYue3X.jpg

pg8ldpm.jpg

tqlp5L2.jpg

X90haLo.jpg

NI7ENQd.jpg

wQzCml0.jpg

mbAy3ho.jpg

TaU04g5.jpg

iIIvXni.jpg

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

You are getting close to making a video of the FEL in action. Great work.

• Like 2

slammer302

You seem to have good fab skills you should make your own custom grill guard for the front of ur xi

Snowmobileaddict

Been looking forward to this showing up in the mail.  Might have to skip shop time tonight and dig into this :D

3V5sSKB.jpg

Vinylguy

I love mine. Great read and a great reference tool. 

Snowmobileaddict

Fully plumbed!

Picking up a jug of hyd fluid tomorrow for proving trials.  Then the decal goes on the boom...

aa50FwG.jpg

ajMVNqT.jpg

• Like 3

Snowmobileaddict

I'm also seriously rethinking ballast.  Going to likely load 6 gallons of washer fluid in each rear tire. That's 50 lbs in each tire.  

Then I've got a line on a set of cast iron rear wheel weights at 50# each for $100.  For the last 80-100# I'll rig up a 2" drawbar for my receiver hitch to hang some old    Cast iron exercise weights off the very back of the tractor.

BFlPGZ4.png

shallowwatersailor

Miss going to Menards. They should expand to the East Coast!

WNYPCRepair
5 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Fully plumbed!

Picking up a jug of hyd fluid tomorrow for proving trials.  Then the decal goes on the boom...

3D4DAEAB-5B74-46F5-87B1-D0F700AD2404_zps

83072BE4-4BDD-4ADA-A708-B308F3B10F13_zps

You can certainly be proud of that job. That is some beautiful work. 

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Well, It works!

I got it loaded up with hydraulic fluid Tuesday night and ran it a bit.  The only problem that I'm having is a drip at the pump output port.  The pump has 3/4" NPT ports.  So at the output side it goes 3/4" port to 1/2" NPT bushing.  Then a 1/2" street elbow.  Then a 2" long nipple in 1/2" pipe.  Then a reducer elbow that goes from 1/2" to 3/8" and onto the hydraulic hose.

The drip/leak is right at the that first bushing (the bushing to the pump mating surface/threads).  I tore it down, put some more pipe dope on it and put it back together but its still dripping at that same spot.  I know bushings are kind of troublesome for leaks, so I think I'm going to pick up a different one.  There is a store nearby that has stainless steel ones that appear to be of better quality.  I'll give that a try and maybe try a different band of pipe dope.  With a little luck I'll have a leak free system.

I was happy to see that after I parked it on Tuesday night with the boom off the ground, it hardly moved at all between then and Wednesday afternoon.  That means little to no internal leakage at the spool valve or at the hydraulic pistons I rebuilt.

After I get this leak squared away I'll get a video posted up of the final product.

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

I bought a new reducer bushing and re-plumbed the output side of the pump tonight.  NO LEAKS! :lol:

Here's a video of the running 1982 Kwik-Way loader on my 2003 522xi. 

YouTube Link to Video of Running Loader

• Like 5

WNYPCRepair
13 minutes ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

I bought a new reducer bushing and re-plumbed the output side of the pump tonight.  NO LEAKS! :lol:

Here's a video of the running 1982 Kwik-Way loader on my 2003 522xi. 

YouTube Link to Video of Running Loader

Very impressive. 

Snowmobileaddict

Thanks WNYPCRepair!

I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I'm going to wait for some milder weather to get the Kwik-Way decal on the boom.

I also got a whole sheet of replacement safety decals from an implement dealer near my house.  These will make my loader really look legit.  The Rhino company makes loader attachments too and they used to make a smaller loader that was about the size of my Kwik-Way.  When I was breezing through a Rhino manual I noticed that the manufacturer will provide replacement safety decals free of charge through their dealer network.  You just have to pay shipping.  Any who, I ordered these last week and they came in today.  I probably won't use them all, but several of them aren't specific to any one model or size of loader. 

TvQUNRS.jpg

• Like 3

roadapples

All your work has paid off, a job to be proud of...

• Like 2

cleat

Looks very good. One of the first things I added to the loader on my larger diesel tractor was a bucket level indicator.

That will make it very easy to ensure the bottom of the bucket is flat to the ground. This is very useful for getting a nice flat surface scraping up gravel, snow, dirt etc.

Maybe you can see your bucket good enough to tell but I could not with the cab etc in the way.

This is what I made after copying the factory setup on a Ford loader.

56b48fe94f5e1_bucketlevelindicatorbottom56b49001ee52b_bucketlevelindicatorbottom56b4901a2dd83_bucketlevelindicatorovervi

The other thing I use a lot is the two hooks for lifting things. With the loader around, no use pulling out your back lifting.

56b490254b68a_TwoslingBuckethooks1.thumb56b4902f241d0_TwoslingBuckethooks3.thumb

You are going to love having that loader around, I use mine all the time.

Cleat

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

Just read through this whole thread again. I started last night, after going through the PF Engineering plans. After the subframe, I was surprised to see there isn't a lot of steel left to buy. I'm going to price everything up and see if it makes sense to build one, or keep looking for a used one, or build a Johnny Bucket. 

No video yet? :)

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

The only video I have is the one of it running inside my outbuilding.  Its been somewhat of a low/no-snow winter here in SE WI.  No real snow to clear up since I finished the loader and really not much for me to do with it in the yard till spring rolls around.  55F and chance rain today.