Snowmobileaddict

Picked up a Kwik-Way Loader for my 522xi

roadapples

Really nice job. If there`s a weak link to this it`s probably the tractor itself. LOL

Snowmobileaddict

Subframe DONE.  Welding DONE.

Heres a shot of my last bead:

WE3JwJq.jpg

The subframe fits great, I do need to order the big mamma-jamma u-bolts that will clamp the subframe to the rear axle.

One thing that kinda bugs me is that I have to remove the red plastic bumper cover while having the loader mounted, otherwise the cross tube in the main boom will just graze it.  

In the Kwikway owner manual it says the bumper cover needs to be removed, I just figured it was so the front diagonal brace brackets had more clearance.  Oh well. Not a deal breaker, it just looks better with the red cover on, I think.  I suppose if I welded the subframe up with the uprights maybe an inch farther forward it would have cleared, but that would have monkeyed with the center of gravity and made the setup just slightly more tippy.

Here are the photos that show the frame and bucket lined up/mounted.

ZBSbj6A.jpg

f5knPPr.jpg

QxsWFcM.jpg

P6yTKzH.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
Photo
  • Like 7

WNYPCRepair

Looks great. 

Pullstart

The more I see you guys building loader frames for these rigs, the more I think it makes sense for me to have one!  Not like I have a need for it right now, but it would be handy I'm sure... more than I know.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

The more I see you guys building loader frames for these rigs, the more I think it makes sense for me to have one!  Not like I have a need for it right now, but it would be handy I'm sure... more than I know.

I agree. I would love to have a CAD drawing of all the parts for the entire loader. 

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 7:14 AM, WNYPCRepair said:

I agree. I would love to have a CAD drawing of all the parts for the entire loader. 

From what I can tell, the loaders become available to buy pretty frequently.  Its the matter of finding or making the machine-specific subframe to make it work on your tractor that is the sticking point.

I only drew up what I needed to in AutoCAD in order to get flat parts laser-cut out of 1/4" plate for the subframe, and pump carrier parts.  Between the laser cutting, and (2) will-call steel orders of round, rectangular and square stock cut to size, I didn't even need to touch a saw of any kind for this project.  I did have to massage a couple of the rectangular tube pieces due to cutting tolerances being -0" to +1/8"  In those situations a couple of pieces were juist a hair too long.

When I'm all done I plan on posting up a DWG and DXF file versions of the file I used to get parts laser cut from.  Between the CAD file and the linked isometric drawing below, a shade-tree type with a little know-how should have no problem building what I have.

the actual PDF of the JPG below is attached to this post for download. Stay tuned for the CAD files for the 1/4" steel I had cut.  Those files will be posted later. 

WA3vwB8.jpg

Dimensioned Subframe ISO.pdf

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Well, I hinted about it earlier on in this thread and I decided to go ahead an do it.  A brand new Kwikway 40" bucket for this setup is on its way to my door.  I really wanted to pop for this because in the end, I'll be looking at nearly an entirely "Brand New" implement.  The existing bucket I have is so-so, is a bit bent up and there are rust holes in the bottom and other sore spots from outdoor storage.

So, after finding out that Kwik-Way Inc. (now named Bleu-KW Mfg) is little to no help with regard to supporting the end users of their product that spanned several decades, I found an alternate source of limited parts support.

Sears & Roebuck of all places!

Yup, as it turns out, sometime in the last 7 or so weeks that I've been wrapped up in this project I came across a Google Search result that I found promising.  Here is that link:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/100265120/0247/1509400.html

Sears Parts Direct still has this particular 40" bucket loader (manufactured by Kwik-Way) supported in their parts inventory!  This Sears unit is identical to what Toro/Wheel Horse sold as the 5xi attachment with the exception of the subframe, diagonal braces and pump carrier.  As you know, all those pieces are machine-specific.  The 40" Kwik-way buckets are all the same.  If you hit that link above and scroll down you can pick off particular sub-assemblies for the loader attachment to browse for parts. 

It was surprising to see what Sears has and doesn't have available.  For example you can still order much of the main frame (boom), hoses, hard lines, uprights, decals, etc.  Hydraulic cylinder assemblies?  No problem, they've got those too.  Kind of spendy, but they are still in stock and likely collecting dust in some lonely corner of a Sears warehouse in god-knows-where.  They'll probably be ending parts support too one of these days so I'm glad I found them!

Anyhow, the 40" bucket was $245 plus $9.99 Shipping and $14 sales tax.  I'm not sure what color it will arrive in, but that's fine with me.  I'll get it shot in black implement paint if its not already black.  It would be really sweet if you could still source the fork attachment from Sears that takes the place of the bucket:

2_ForkLift.jpg

Something called the Tine Fork is called out on the Sears Parts page too as still available.  Although it is not pictured, this is what it likely looks like:

2_TineFork.jpg

I figured that with the new bucket coming, I'll probably be able to find a buyer on Craigslist for my existing bucket in the $80-$100 range.  That would put me into the new bucket for $170-$190.

In the mean time I'm also waiting on the arrival of my heavy duty U-bolts that fasten the subframe to the rear axle, as well as the pump pulley.  I think I'll be doing a lot of priming and painting of the subframe parts this weekend as well as getting the plumbing installed. More to come later.

-Andy

typo
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

The tine fork is for stuff like hay, corn stalks, etc

doc724

$9.99 for shipping a bucket!  Holy smokes, it cost me twice that for shipping an auger sprocket and 10 feet of chain! 

WRT having to remove the front bumper cover, I tried to install the mule with the pump and hose attached while leaving the cover on.  It is not possible!  Take the cover off and it is easy peasy!

WNYPCRepair
31 minutes ago, doc724 said:

$9.99 for shipping a bucket!  Holy smokes, it cost me twice that for shipping an auger sprocket and 10 feet of chain! 

WRT having to remove the front bumper cover, I tried to install the mule with the pump and hose attached while leaving the cover on.  It is not possible!  Take the cover off and it is easy peasy!

They probably get a bulk rate of $9 per package, due to their volume. I have suppliers who ship entire cash registers (basically a computer with screen and cash drawer) for $9.99, due to their large volume. Meanwhile, UPS wanted to charge me $12 to ship a power cord.

Snowmobileaddict

Yeah I figured volume discounts are why Sears can ship that thing so cheap.  I must be on a pallet for as bulky and heavy the dang thing is.

doc: I remember you mentioning early on in this endeavor that the bumper cover had to come off for the pump carrier to mount up.  I just had my heart set on it working with it in place.  Oh well.  No big deal there.  I'm going to try to get some primer applied to the subframe tonight after I spend some time chasing down an electrical gremlin on my pellet stove.  Its either a $5 SPST relay or the nearly $200 control board.  If its the relay I've got a replacement.  If its the control board, I've got a temporary work around with a $15 time delay relay until I feel like throwing down for a control board.  Its always something...

WHX??

You ain't careful Andy you is gonna end up with a nice FEL!!!! Any problems with the stove gimme a holler, I am pretty good with them and I got a nephew that works at earth sense that = cheap parts

Forks would be cool for moving skids of pellets and all kinds of other stuff. I don't think that kind that mount to the bucket would work....too much with way out front.

Edited by WHX6

Snowmobileaddict

I know!

At some point this project morphed into a full blown restoration it seems!  I better not be afraid to put it to work when I'm done.

Earth Sense is a good connection.  That's the place where you can score the Uncle Jed's pellets if I recall correctly.  I've been sourcing Somersets for 3 seasons now.  We only use pellets in the basement since we finished that space a few years back.  It's about 800SF and the stove picks up the slack from the main natural gas furnace and keeps the basement at 68-69F minimum all winter via a programmable t-stat.

The stove is an oddball brand that is no longer supported by the mfg, but all the critical parts are generic and can be sourced with relative ease.  If someone had no electrical or mechanical background, they'd be up a creek.  Me, I can get it licked, I just need to find the time to get to it.  At least this winter is not to cold....What am I saying, I need snow to use my snowmobile....CRAP!!!

WHX??
12 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

What am I saying, I need snow to use my snowmobile....CRAP!!!

Tell me about it ..And I have a trail right in front of my house that would take me damn near anywhere in the state! Clubs around here are going nuts with very expensive trail groomers that are sitting idle. Not even any snow up north and no hard water.

All I use is the Uncle Jeds now & I buy em by the semi load for 215 a ton, all my stoves like them.

BTW the beverage goes here...:lol:

C6958DAB-D76C-45AD-B01B-4C55FB7FB086_zpsx48nwtqh.jpg

Snowmobileaddict

HAHAHA.  Is that what that thing is for?  I always wondered what to put in there.

I didn't get any more work done on the loader last night, spent too much time fiddling with the pellet stove, but got that done at least.  By the time that was finished, there was just enough time to watch the finale of Fargo from this week (awesome show again this season).

I took a look at things I'm waiting for shipping on as well as what's left on the shopping list.  Its looking great.  I'm waiting on the u-bolts, some barbed hose fittings and the pump pulley I just bought this morning on SurplusCenter.com.

That leaves:

A to be determined drive belt around the size of a B44 belt for  $4

A 2-gallon jug of hydraulic fluid for $17

4 Cans of Black Gloss Implement Spray Paint $18

Checking those items into the budget puts me at $1,100.00 all-in including the brand new bucket.  Not too shabby.

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Just came across this.  Here is the catalog page for the loader Kwik-Way built for Sears to sell in their catalog as a genuine Craftsman accessory.  This is the Sears item that still has parts support on the website and the one from which I ordered a replacement bucket.

I'm pretty sure this is circa 1992.  If you run the west egg inflation calculator http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

That works out to over $4,300 in today's money.

213563.jpg

more stock photos of the Sears unit from Google.

IMG_9743.jpg

IMG_9739.jpg

added photos
  • Like 2

WHX??

By the time Uncle Sam got done with ya one would have an easy 4500 in a new one today.

Gotta like the duals on the Sears tho eh??

Snowmobileaddict

I've officially gotten the heebie jeebies about trying to make sure the reservoir on my loader is clean and the valve and pump stay free of debris.

I know these loaders came new without filtration measures.  However, I'm pretty uneasy about running mine without any.

I think I'm going to run a suction strainer at the bottom port of the reservoir upright.

Strainers are often used in a suction application on hydraulics.

w0yblVr.jpg

That 80 mesh has 0.007" openings in it.  

Then, on the return line from the control valve to reservoir upright, I want to plumb in a spin on filter mount like this one:

YhJl8Tb.jpg

I'll need to weld a short length of channel to the inboard side of the reservoir upright so I can fasten that filter mount.  Then I'll be able to run a short hose from the valve to the filter mount and another from the filter mount to the reservoir.

The filter I plan on using is a 21 micron spin on with 3/4-16 npt threads.  This is about the same specs as the factory Wheel Horse Toro hydro filter, although the factory one is 10 micron.  Wix & Napa would be 51410 and 1410 respectively.

All told, this adds another $68 to the build.  That is, if I can get that filter mount that I've been watching on eBay for the low price I'm hoping for...

typo
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Sounds like a good idea to me. After putting all that money in the hydraulics, no sense letting dirt flow around in there

Snowmobileaddict

Got the big ole u-bolts in the mail today.  Went ahead and got the very ends of the subframe members drilled to accept them and then got the subframe officially mounted.

WKUn3Py.jpg

26kzRU5.jpg

VJRBzUc.jpg

efd0dE6.jpg

• Like 4

Snowmobileaddict

Just heard about this company CTC located right here Wisconsin.

Kwikway still makes the factory loader for Simplicity, looks like they might lose that opportunity if this outfit can make them and get them out the door for $3200 or less!

nice attachments there...

http://www.compacttractorandcomponents.com

• Like 1

doc724

I checked them out several years ago before I got my KW.  At that time CTC only made loader for JD's

Snowmobileaddict

Pump pulley came today via UPS from www.surpluscenter.com

Got it aligned with the PTO.  Time to cut up an old deck belt to figure out what length B-Section belt this setup will use.

9q9nLVo.jpg

3tp0uBm.jpg

zdNUeoN.jpg

sbF4YtK.jpg

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Well, I'm really bummed out.  Sears changed my order from "Backordered with Supplier" to "Cancelled"

ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!  No Sears support and no Kwikway Support.

I found a guy local to me that has (2) brand new Model 40 John Deere Buckets for $399 a piece.  They are 48" wide and weigh 147 pounds.  That's getting kind of pricey and heavy for me too.  My bucket weighs 106 pounds.  Here is an example of the Deere bucket that is 20mins away from me.

$T2eC16NHJHwFG0vOE-myBSG-mdswtg~~60_59.J

Its not outside the realm of possibility, but, I'm on the hunt for a better solution. 

I've been in touch with the owner of CTC in Wausau  http://www.compacttractorandcomponents.com/ about them selling me a bucket with the mounting ears "loose" for me to mock-up, weld on and drill for my pins.   they have been great to deal with.  Price for a 48" bucket with loose mounting ears and pick-up in Wausau is $250.  That's $20 cheaper than the Sears bucket I was after, but the catch is that I need to drive to Wausau, which is 2.5 hours one way.  All I am waiting on now is an empty bucket weight from CTC and  lead time estimate.  Hopefully the bucket is closer to 125 pounds.  If it is, I'm going for it.

Here is the CTC bucket:

6620268_orig.jpg 

• Like 1

WHX??

Thanks for the tip on the guys in Wausaw ... right in my backyard and looks to be resonable priced. Bonus ...offers machining as well.... I go right thru ther on my way up north if I can save ya the shipping.  Goin thru on Wensday as a matter of fact. Real bonus if there nice guys too deal with. Bout an hr &1/2 drive one way for me and I can easily get it to Fond du lac as well.

Edited by WHX6
  • Like 2