Snowmobileaddict

Picked up a Kwik-Way Loader for my 522xi

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Okay,

The uprights are indeed 3"x5" at 1/8" wall

Also, the main boom pivot pin sits 40.5" above my flat concrete garage floor (my floor is pretty flat).

The main boom arms are 1.5" x 2.5" tube with 1/8" wall.  The boom cross bar is 2.5" x 3" at 1/8" wall.

Last but not least...That filter mount.  Yeah, I looked high and low to find that one.  Its a great fit.

I bought it from Summitracing.com  Its moroso filter mount #23700

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-23700/

The hydraulic filter that fits it is a Napa 1410, or you can even use the same hydro filter that the tranny on the 5xi uses.  The threads are the same.

I'm here to help!  Its no problem at all.  Glad to lend a hand!

Thanks, you have definitely been a big help. I hope to get the subframe finished this weekend, though I do have a job in the morning. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and I can get back to work. I won't be able to go any further until the 3 x 5 comes in Monday or Tuesday. 

I've made some slight changes, but still using the basic design of the subframe you drew up. You did most of the hard work for me. :)

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:45 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

Thanks, you have definitely been a big help. I hope to get the subframe finished this weekend, though I do have a job in the morning. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and I can get back to work. I won't be able to go any further until the 3 x 5 comes in Monday or Tuesday. 

I've made some slight changes, but still using the basic design of the subframe you drew up. You did most of the hard work for me. :)

Couple more measurements you might be able to make use of:

ILpEfUw.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Cool, thanks. That will eliminate my trial and error. :)

I was thinking of trying the wood mock up trick, now I won't have to

Edited by WNYPCRepair

WNYPCRepair

Of course my one job today turned into almost a full day, but at least I found time to finish the brackets for the mid tach-o-matic. I guess I'll fix this computer I have to have done by Monday morning and start fresh first thing in the morning. This is one of the changes I made, assuming it still fits. I made these brackets to weld to the sides of the subframe instead of on top. I am using 2x2x1/4 for the subframe members, mainly because I have about 30 to 40 feet of it. The one that goes across these will be 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1/4.

56db401bb589d_subframemid.thumb.JPG.b06b

• Like 3

Snowmobileaddict

That will work and be extra beefy!

Nice start.

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

If you keep the outside-to-outside dimension of your longitudinal subframe rails at 15.25" or less you'll be able to slide the subframe under your tractor without having to jack up the tractor.

That measurement is called out in the subframe dimensional drawing I shared earlier.

I wasn't paying too close attention to that measurement when I made mine and the clearances are very tight around the wheels.  

Mine's a touch too wide, so in order to mount my subframe I have to jack up the front or rear to get it underneath the tractor.  

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Rather than hijack your topic, I started my own

WNYPCRepair

@Snowmobileaddict
  What are these for (the part circled in red)?

pedestals.thumb.jpg.c89d5d2e4e5cb246887f

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

@Snowmobileaddict
  What are these for (the part circled in red)?

pedestals.thumb.jpg.c89d5d2e4e5cb246887f

From the factory, kwikway had these somewhat rickety storage stands.

They go into those sleeves.

KeetTAp.jpg

I thought about making a set of them before I came up with the trailer jack idea.

These are my storage stands:

EJAFiFV.jpg

WNYPCRepair

Wow, those don't look very safe. 

Yours are very nice. I'll probably copy that too.  I'm so glad you did a loader, LOL. I appreciate all your hard work, it's making my life much easier now. :) 

WNYPCRepair
On December 20, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Snowmobileaddict said:

Pump pulley came today via UPS from www.surpluscenter.com

Got it aligned with the PTO.  Time to cut up an old deck belt to figure out what length B-Section belt this setup will use.

What size belt did you end up with? And it is B section, not A section?

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Snowmobileaddict

B section is what I used, same as the mower deck belt that rides on the PTO pulley.

I butchered an old beat up belt to figure out what I should buy.  I settled on a B41.  

It fits but it's hard to slip onto the clutch and pump pulley even with the pump pushed all the way up.  

I'm going to pick up a B42 to make getting the belt on and off an easier task.

the belts are super cheap on eBay Amazon or vbeltsforless.com

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
22 minutes ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

B section is what I used, same as the mower deck belt that rides on the PTO pulley.

I butchered an old beat up belt to figure out what I should buy.  I settled on a B41.  

It fits but it's hard to slip onto the clutch and pump pulley even with the pump pushed all the way up.  

I'm going to pick up a B42 to make getting the belt on and off an easier task.

the belts are super cheap on eBay Amazon or vbeltsforless.com

I picked up one at the local hardware store. The longest one they had was 5/8 by 41, which should be a B38, according to VBelts. It appears to be about 2 or 3 inches short. I hope to find something local, I'm stopped on the loader part until I get the bucket. That may be tomorrow, he emailed today and asked if I wanted the cutting bar welded on. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow.

Snowmobileaddict

Napa has b section belts

WNYPCRepair
36 minutes ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Napa has b section belts

I was just looking at them on line, I'll swing by tomorrow

Snowmobileaddict

Had a chance to put her to work for a while today.  These things are a lot of fun.  Plus, it becomes the envy of the neighbors...haha

ikhHY83.jpg

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Looking good, Andy!

I was hoping to test drive mine this weekend, but the fittings for the valve won't fit, the holes are too close together for elbows, have to get some straight fittings for the valve Monday.

Snowmobileaddict

Well,  just to familiarize myself with removal of the loader, I decided to see how dismounting it went.

The quick connects for the pressure and suction side of pump leads the make removal much easier I presume.  I'm glad I spent the 45ish bucks to do them.  Furthermore, having a moving dolly under the bucket and castors mounted under the storage stands truly make removal  breeze.  Its really not that cumbersome to wheel this around on a concrete shop floor even without the castors under the storage stands. 

I tried it both ways.  With castors mounted, its about as easy as moving one of those lumber carts around at Home Depot.  I put the flat stands back under the stands though because the one-wheeled castors kind of stress the loader frame and make the uprights do "The Splits" if you can visualize is that.  The flat bottom stands support the loader much better for long term storage.  I found that its even relatively easy to lift up on the uprights and just wheel it around with a dolly under the bucket.  The loader without the subframe probably weighs 325Lbs.

As for storage, these babies do take up good chunk of shop space.  It is nice that you can store stuff between the boom arms though, that helps.  Now I know why many folks that own these start hunting for a dedicated machine to mount them on.  I suppose that's all part of the WH sickness/addiction.  I'm lucky in that I've got a separate detached garage just for "toys" and the attached garage is the bride's domain (haha) 

sY5Ck9W.jpg

M1un16I.jpg

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Interesting. My stands did not come with casters, or even a pin for the bottom. 

I took mine off yesterday to weld the front crossbeam. It was a bear to get the left pedestal back in the mount. Took a bit of maneuvering to get the holes for the pin lined up. 

Snowmobileaddict

Mine didn't come with castors either.  I bought those castors from harbor freight to add to my setup.  I took the "drop-leg" and cut in in half (its plenty long to begin with) and welded the castors to the bottom of the square tube.  I'm going to keep the mating surfaces of the uprights and the subframe greased to make mounting and dismounting an easy affair.  

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Very excited.

Tomorrow 6 yards of mulch gets delivered.  I'll finally be able to put this rig to work for real.

I also set the stop watch and got the mower deck off and the loader mounted in 30mins flat.  No joke.  That's got to be a world record.  The Dolly's and stands and hydraulic quick connects make it sooo easy.

Ct6wRBv.jpg

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

I have been using mine all summer. Moved 12 yards of dirt, 10 yards of mulch, logs, rocks, landscaping blocks, ripped bushes out of the ground, and much more. 

Thanks again for all your help in building mine. :)

• Like 1

doc724

Andy you got me beat, 30 minutes to remove a deck and install a loader is remarkable.  I am not even close, maybe 60 minutes once I get the deck off! 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I ignored Andy's advice and skipped the quick disconnect. It's going to be messy to take mine off....

Lessons learned....