Snowmobileaddict

Picked up a Kwik-Way Loader for my 522xi

Snowmobileaddict

I never had so much fun doing mulch.  I wish there was more to have spread.

C0jhSit.jpg

htf7JFX.jpg

WTJe1EJ.jpg

1YxdmA8.jpg

AZmNuVe.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 2

doc724

Brian, it's been a while since I read all of andy's missive.  I assume you are talking about the quick connect for pump input and output?  I leave mine attached all the time and just slide the mule out from the front hitch.  Kwik Way designed them to be done this way.  Andy's is a better design but not necessary.

1 hour ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

I never had so much fun doing mulch.  I wish there was more to have spread.

Sure does make the job easier after all your grown sons have left home

HorseFixer

Brian very good Job on your build. I am presently in the process of installing an ARK 500 SERIES on a 522XI and will be using many of your ideas In doing so. Very Informative! :bow-blue: ~Duke

Edited by HorseFixer

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:16 AM, HorseFixer said:

Brian very good Job on your build. I am presently in the process of installing an ARK 500 SERIES on a 522XI and will be using many of your ideas In doing so. Very Informative! :bow-blue: ~Duke

I'm Andy, the fella that started this thread..Brian is another forum member that also built up a loader for his 5xi.  Although Brian did his from scratch.  Anyhow, have fun with your build.  If I recall correctly, the spread on the Ark loader between the uprights is narrower than the kwikways.  That makes it hard to have it postioned far enough aft to not make it front-heavy and not interfere with the tractor foot rests.  A fella on this board adapted one to a beater 5xi, but he had to hack up the foot rests to make it work.  He didn't care, because, beater 5xi...

Just a wrinkle to keep in mind during your build.

Here is the conversation I had with another board member on the subject of fitting an Ark Loader to a 5Xi:

uJW2Smz.png

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Andy,

I am glad that you brought that to my attention because to be honest with you that hadn't crossed my mind. The guy who hacked up his XI should indeed be punished for Horse Cruelty :deadhorse: To solve the problem you have mentioned I will widen the stance of the uprights by 5" because according to the nice undercarriage drawing you made I see that they are approx 34". Mine measure at present 30"  so I will make them 35" I will do this by widening where they attach to the bucket, and In do so I will have to lengthen the cross member between the arms behind the bucket. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention and again I would like to compliment you on the OUTSTANDING JOB you did on your loader! :handgestures-thumbupright:   ~Duke

SUBFRAME.thumb.jpg.44824ff4a2061bb1186c3239c8011433.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer

R. L. Addison

Those pipe fittings will damage your valve when tightened and will leak like water through a screen door. Those holes are # 4 port? 

best I remember (7/16-20 thread)?.  Adapters can be bought if you want to stay with pipe threads. Hope they are no more than finger tight!

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, R. L. Addison said:

Those pipe fittings will damage your valve when tightened and will leak like water through a screen door. Those holes are # 4 port? 

best I remember (7/16-20 thread)?.  Adapters can be bought if you want to stay with pipe threads. Hope they are no more than finger tight!

Thanks for your concern.  :)

Aside from the new bucket and the filtration, I restored this loader to exactly how it came from the factory in 1982 (hoses, valve and everything).  Moreover, there are ZERO leaks.  The spool valve ports are threaded in 1/4" NPT for the cylinders, 3/8" NPT for the supply & return, and the hard lines are 3/8" JIC. 

Considering its been put together just like this for about 35 years, I'm fine with it.

y28Fj5o.jpg

wQzCml0.jpg

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

R. L. Addison

Love your end result---didn't realize OMCO bought with NPTF threads in in them. All I've ever seen on Wheel Horse is port fittings. Advantages and disadvantages in both. Admire your craftsmanship. Beautiful !

Snowmobileaddict

Duke,

Below are the dimensions you had asked about.  Scroll through to see the close-ups of the measuring tape.

SU2iZRb.jpg

V7mDTja.jpg

rlgydTO.jpg

FphpCIl.jpg