Snowmobileaddict

Picked up a Kwik-Way Loader for my 522xi

Snowmobileaddict

More good news, thanks to yet another critical measurement that doc724 (thanks doc!) was able to provide me from his Kwik-way5xi FEL, I’ve come to find out that the diagonal steel tube braces that came with my loader will work with my tractor.  The braces for a 5xi have the holes 32” on center.  The holes on the braces that came with my loader match that and have flattened areas beyond and within that dimension in case I need to adjust a hole location.  I thought for sure I’d need to buy a couple lengths of steel tube to build new ones all together.

More sanding and priming on the hydraulic cylinders.  2 are completely done and 2 need a couple more spraying sessions with the Rustoleum red oxide rattle can.  I’ve also separated the hydraulic hard lines from the loader main frame.  There are four ½” wide by 1/8” think straps that are bent over and collect and hold the hard lines to the main frame.  I carefully pushed each strap open and slid the hard lines out after labeling them.  This will allow me to sand and prime the main frame and do a bit of detail  touch up on the hard lines.  This is about as torn down as this can get now.  Just 2 pins and clips hold the uprights to the main frame.

nPO2kKg.jpg

segZQc7.jpg

qH5AVBe.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict

Snowmobileaddict

Hello O-rings!

I'll have to find some time tomorrow night to get theses all installed.   Did check the wiper seals and they were a perfect fit, wheeew. Was worried about those not fitting....

WqiggeI.jpg

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Didn't have much time to dink around in the garage last night.  I did get the last of the primer applied to the hydraulic cylinders.  They are looking great.  I got my O-rings all laid out and ready to install on the head glands and pistons, and I pulled the uprights off the main frame and installed some pipe plugs in the (3) ports on the reservoir upright.

Does anyone have a suggestion about perhaps flushing out the hydraulic reservoir upright on this?  I feel like I need to fill it up with a solvent or degreaser, put the pipe plugs in and shake it up like a cocktail mixer and then rinse and repeat.  If there is a particular liquid or cleaner I should use, I'm all ears.  Thanks!   

I think I'm going to ask around about getting the uprights sandblasted and then I will primed them as well.  There are too many nooks and crannies on the uprights to try to sand it out by hand like I did with the cylinders.  I think the main frame will be easy to sand out either by hand or with a borrowed DA sander.  I've read up on my air compressor and it says it can run (intermittently) a DA sander.  The compressor is a conventional oiled, 2 cylinder single stage unit with 20 gallon tank.  It is rated at 5.5 CFM at 90 psi.  I won't care if there is some start and stop and waiting for the compressor to catch up because there's jut not that much main frame to sand.  That, and the paint on everything else I've sanded has come off super easy.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to just paint this in gloss black when its all done.  But there is a little corner of my brain focused on Sunrise Red for a close Toro-Red match. 

nlKRap3.jpg

AiIZunt.jpg

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

Cylinders are primed and ready for gloss black.  Orings, backers and wiper seals all replaced and ready for reassembly.

XkW02jU.jpg

9IGAKHy.jpg

jCt2Mra.jpg

7dYdMJy.jpg

0wEMWQ8.jpg

added photos
  • Like 3

Snowmobileaddict

Hoses came today!  And even less than expected.  $68.56 shipped for (8) 1/4" hoses with correct fittings @ 16" long.  Highly recommend this vendor.

QTKoXwU.jpg

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

The gloss black is looking awesome

ZoiiRrb.jpg

GuNRKfw.jpg

XXIY7nV.jpg

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Laser cut 1/4" steel plate parts are in.  They turned out awesome.  Was a pleasure doing business with JD Laser in Hartford WI.

Also, I found a place on my way home from work that does sandblasting and fabrication.  I had them look at my uprights and the owner said $25 to blast both of them clean, done deal.  Those should be ready next week for me to pick up, take home and get coat of red oxide primer onto.

Here are the laser cut pieces (there are 2 pump mount plates because I wasn't sure which one I'd find for a bargain when its time to buy):
tkWL68t.jpg

• Like 3

slammer302

Looks good!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

stevebo

Impressive job you are doing so far. Will look better than new when you are done. 

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

Thanks Stevebo.

I'll need to find some time to get down to my father in laws shop use his Lincoln wire feed welder.  Or better yet convince him to let me bring it home to use here for a while.  I'm good enough at it to put this together.  It's a 220v unit but he only has flux core wire, no bottle or regulator for shield gas, so I'll be needing to do a bit of spatter clean up but that's okay with me.

Vinylguy

The 32-year-old instruction decal for the loader has seen better days.

I reworked in AutoCAD and exported it as a PDF.  I'm going to see about taking it to a decal/vinyl printer.  Its about 3" x 3" square and sits on the topside of the steel plate that the control valve gets bolted to.

New%20Valve%20Label_zpsddt2mvnb.jpg

Valve Decal Model (2).pdf

PM me your address info and I will send you a couple of these?

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 1

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 9:53 PM, Vinylguy said:
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 2:44 PM, Snowmobileaddict said:

The 32-year-old instruction decal for the loader has seen better days.

I reworked in AutoCAD and exported it as a PDF.  I'm going to see about taking it to a decal/vinyl printer.  Its about 3" x 3" square and sits on the topside of the steel plate that the control valve gets bolted to.

PM me your address info and I will send you a couple of these?

This is great!!!  I'll PM it right over! THANKS!!!

I just got done sanding and priming the last of the hard lines, and I got one diagonal brace done and ran out.  Need to pick up another can and some more sandpaper tomorrow.

5Xlg3VJ.jpg

mdbcqGo.jpg

tiCQd6X.jpg

Vinylguy
loader_intruction_sheet.thumb.png.45dabcloader_intruction_sheet.thumb.png.45dabc
  • Like 3

Snowmobileaddict

Those LOOK MINT!!!

oliver2-44
In my younger tractor shop days to clean reservoirs, transmissions, etc, they would fill things with diesel or kerosene and put a heater blowing on it. overnight.  Looking back, that wasn't very safe.
Today, I suggest you clean your reservoir using lacquer thinner. It;s a hotter solvent than mineral spirits. Acetone is an even hotter solvent but gets pricey. Seal it up and set it in the sun and shake it several times..   Lacquer thinner and acetone are very flammable so keep away from open flame and work with good ventilation.  

Great looking Loader project.
  • Like 2

Snowmobileaddict
In my younger tractor shop days to clean reservoirs, transmissions, etc, they would fill things with diesel or kerosene and put a heater blowing on it. overnight.  Looking back, that wasn't very safe.

Today, I suggest you clean your reservoir using lacquer thinner. It;s a hotter solvent than mineral spirits. Acetone is an even hotter solvent but gets pricey. Seal it up and set it in the sun and shake it several times..   Lacquer thinner and acetone are very flammable so keep away from open flame and work with good ventilation.  

Great looking Loader project.

Thanks oliver

I also talked to guy at work who's into tractors and he mentioned similar products to use (kerosene or thinner).  I'll have to see what cost more per gallon right now.  Diesel is down to $2.49 here.  That might be the ticket.

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

I was fooling around with creating a replacement Kwik-Way decal for the front of the loader and ended up with a pretty good match in a Bauhuas 93 Font.  the decal is 3.75" tall for reference.

this will look good on the finished product.

example of original:
dy1HDpL.jpg

My recreation decal:

hePIVhF.jpg

KW.pdf

Vinylguy

What is the width of the original pictured on the loader?

Snowmobileaddict
It's 
3.5" Tall

9.4" Wide

• Like 1

PaulC

Awesome project here and youre doing a bang up job on it :handgestures-thumbupright:. I hope to get or build myself a loader for a :wh: one day, not sure I really need it but they are just to cool.

And Terry(Vinlyguy) is a great guy to deal with and his decals are awesome just in case you haven't dealt with him yet.

Keep up the great work and maybe one day ill be back to this thread for info when im building mine

• Like 1

wrightorchid

Looks fantastic.  Should be lots of fun and last forever.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I was fooling around with creating a replacement Kwik-Way decal for the front of the loader and ended up with a pretty good match in a Bauhuas 93 Font.  the decal is 3.75" tall for reference.

example of original:
715FA377-D236-49F4-9B6F-FE23106E90B0_zps

My recreation decal:

8B9AF093-1804-4095-8060-0855CA0C2D17_zps

KW.pdf

For all the work that you are putting in to it, I would add a "Refurbished by ..." decal!

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 3:18 PM, PaulC said:

Awesome project here and youre doing a bang up job on it . I hope to get or build myself a loader for a one day, not sure I really need it but they are just to cool.

And Terry(Vinlyguy) is a great guy to deal with and his decals are awesome just in case you haven't dealt with him yet.

Keep up the great work and maybe one day ill be back to this thread for info when im building mine

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 3:37 PM, wrightorchid said:

Looks fantastic.  Should be lots of fun and last forever.

Thanks Paul and wrightorchid!
These things are built pretty beefy to begin with, so I do think it will last a long time.  Easily another 32 years! 

This is moving along so nicely and I'm under my budget estimates by a pretty good tick.  I think I may actually pop for a new replacement Kwikway bucket next month and sell off the one that came with my loader.  The one I have is in OK shape.  A brute who had it before me welded a tow hook on the top and was lifting some heavy stuff with chains.  As such the top of the bucket was bit deformed.  I beat on it for while and got close to back to normal, but its still a bit wavy and there are a few rust pin holes through the 1/8" plate bucket skin.  If I get the replacement bucket then it really will be MINT, when its done.  I found a place that I can get one new in the crate delivered to my door for $269.  I can't reveal my source though, I'm fearful that the stock may be too low and poof, I won't be able to get one next month. :ph34r:

Also, I talked to my father-in-law this afternoon and he gave permission to bring his MIG welder home to my place for a while so I can fit and tack and weld with the tractor in the same place.  Much better deal.  I just need to get an outlet off my panel in my outbuilding (plenty of panel power available just need to get to home depot and pick up a receptacle and box).  

Tonight its gloss black enamel  top coat on the hydraulic hard lines and sanding priming and painting the (2) diagonal tube braces...

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 5:30 PM, shallowwatersailor said:
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 8:29 AM, Snowmobileaddict said:

example of original:
tbVi2uh.jpg

My recreation decal:

hePIVhF.jpg

KW.pdf

For all the work that you are putting in to it, I would add a "Refurbished by ..." decal!

I LIKE THAT IDEA!!!

shallowwatersailor

For sure, take some credit!

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Cylinders reassembled.  These go together even easier than they come apart.  Ready to mount up.

sJwCpUD.jpg