Thor27

1980 C-105 Refresh

Thor27

This is not a very nice tractor, but it belonged to my late father for the last 25 years, so it's going to get a new lease on life, and a modification or two I figure he would approve of... My dad's neighbor bought it new (in 1984) but it is an 80, my dad bought it from him in 1990. When he passed and my mom (85) took up mowing she hated the 8 speed so I bought her a new hydrostatic craftsman and ran off with this.    It was rusty, and covered by brushed on flat black paint.  It ran great, but the rubber in the shaker mounts was gone. The tranny had started popping out of high range and one axle/hub key way was destroyed and he had drilled through both and inserted a 1/4 bolt.

Here is the only picture of it while it was still mostly together.

0909151855.jpg

The pad eye on the mule drive was welded on so he could drag it out of the woods when the keyway spun. 

And I apologize for the mess that is my garage.

• Like 7

AMC RULES
You're right, it's not a very nice tractor...     :bow-blue:
it's an AWESOME :wh:, that includes some great family history. 
:thanks: for sharing it here.      
:text-coolphotos:
  • Like 4

Thor27

Where I am at now....  Transmission came apart, the hi/low fork was fine. actually except for needing an axle replaced it all looked ok after a good cleaning.  I replaced the axle needle bearings and replaced seals and axle. The oil was mostly rusty muddy water. upgraded to a NOS set of hubs with 2 set screws.

Re-powering with an M-18,   I couldn't find anything local so I did this the hard way. I started with a good running verticle engine, a horizontal block and crank, and came up with this ever escalating pile of money pit...  All because I wanted to run a bigger deck, so of coarse I had to go with a non horse motor and add the expense of an electric PTO0904151722.thumb.jpg.1902edbd4f1e68a5a771030151829.thumb.jpg.6b8193ace79dcfad059

well that went side ways, (picture) not sure how to correct that... LOL

Today brown Santa showed up with a set of wheel blanks from Miller, just burned these together.1030151826.thumb.jpg.e304a0d0a83f6b464c0

10-1/2" of wide goodness

to go with these...
1030151827.thumb.jpg.ea9d467a518df326c2b

• Like 4

Thor27

sorry for the sideways photo again, that is a  4.00x10 in the front,  26-12.00x12 carlisle for the rear. Really wanted the Miller Firestones for the rear, but it would have cost me almost $200 more to my door so.....

Also in my growing pile of new and new to me parts is a 520H swept axle and reduction steering. One of Lowell's Rock Shaft and a Clevis Hitch, some of Glen Pettit's goodies, Bob's brake lining, and Terry's awesome vinyl.

Edited by Thor27
  • Like 2

HorseHead1089

Lookin pretty wicked! Kinda like the way it looks all spotty and such. Looks like we are building a set of twins. I'm kinda wanting some gear reduction steering, how much did that cost you? Those magums come close to 125 pounds so maybe that won't be a bad idea. Also what electric clutch is that and what size shaft does it go onto?

Thor27

Thanks! most of it has been sand blasted now, ran out of aluminum oxide so I still need to finish that off. Hope to have some paint done and a roller again this weekend. The gear reduction came from the big auction site, I already had the swept axle. If I was smart I'd have bought them all together, cause I bought quite a few 520 parts, but...  Wheel Horses are rare on the west coast, I'd have been money ahead buying a parts tractor,  but there just aren't any.   Check your messages, if he still has it, there is a complete set for less than I spent piecing mine together.    The PTO is from an older wheel horse, maybe a Charger? It's a 1-1/8" shaft, behind it I used a 5-1/4" Drive pulley from a 520H.

BTW, I copied you and ordered a plate today.

HorseHead1089

ok ha ha that sure is a heavy plate, i'm trying to find a pto off a cub or JD that will fit the crank on mine. Maybe ill leave it for now, however im not sure. right now im tryna put it together as soon as the rest of the parts come in from the paint shop, and i also still ned to solve the whole make the motor run issue, do you know where to get the intake runner gaskets and stuff or do we have to make new or resuse?

Thor27

I got mine on the big auction site. sending you a few links.   A lot of this stuff is the same as the KT17/19

HorseHead1089

Yeah but I have a 1 3/8 crank so I think is manufacture specific so that why I'm looking for a 2072 cub pto clutch.

Thor27

I was answering about the gaskets:ychain:   

Thor27

Any guesses to which day of the week this little gem was welded together?    Today I cut straightened and re-welded.

1101151159.jpg

98layinframe

Nice work so far!  Are you keeping the mowing deck on it?  Just asking cause I really want to order a set of those miller blanks for my mine... but not sure how well they'll clear the rear deck wheels.

Thor27

Well thank you, to be honest I haven't really measured for the deck, so my best answer is "We'll see". Width wise I think my 48" deck will work, but I think the 26" height may get into it.  

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:    Always love to hear of a family connection in a redo of a :wh:.   The big and little tires will make it look sharp, nice work.    :text-goodpost:
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

My 82" C-105 welcomes your C-105...Please don't let mine see the job your doing - he'll get restoration envy...

IMG_0392.JPG

• Like 1

98layinframe

Well thank you, to be honest I haven't really measured for the deck, so my best answer is "We'll see". Width wise I think my 48" deck will work, but I think the 26" height may get into it.  

ahh yeah the 48" deck helps.  Mines only a 42"... which stinks cause I really want some nice wide 24x12's!  Haha

Edited by 98layinframe

Thor27

Well, I've managed to do amazingly little in the last few weeks...  It's now rainy season, since I media blast and paint outside I've come to a screeching halt in that department so it seems.  I did get the wheels painted, rear tires mounted, and have the tractor on it's own weight today to try and figure out what I was going to do for rear tire clearance.  I don't want to just raise the fender pan, but do need and inch and a half or so there.  It's now mocked up on a 520 frame, I think I will take the 105 frame and rework the rear mounting to lower the transaxle back and down and then re work the tank/seat supports to keep the pan at it's stock height in relation to the rest of the tractor.  It's be running a rock shaft and clevis hitch too so I'll have to make adjustments to the top and bottom of the tank/seat support to keep the cable tube and rock shaft in proper relation.

Anyhow, I like the stance of the taller tires, and the swept axle looks at home on any black hood.. My garage lighting and my phone both leave a lot to be desired but here goes:

1116151704b.thumb.jpg.60c049125c4b3ca438
Also the 520 steering shaft is a couple inches taller, and oh yeah, it's got a new motor plate.
1116151704.thumb.jpg.b9639eb4c6a6a7eff68
It's resting on the tires just above the jack stands, but there are no nuts on the spindles if you notice one standing out farther, probably from kicking it straight as the tie rods aren't on. 
1116151705.thumb.jpg.305e4cff4fe50e5eb05
Even with the 10.5 wide wheels I have to stay under 8ish lbs to keep the tires looking square.

Edited by Thor27
sideways pic
  • Like 4

shallowwatersailor

The project is coming along nicely. I'm anxious to see more!

HorseHead1089

Glad to see the progress! It looks like a full size farmall with thoes bad boys, I've thought of this for a while, what if you raised the fender pan by putting some rectangle box steel under the seat stand/gas tank holder,  I've thought of this as an alternative to keep easy fill up. What do you think? 

Thor27

Hate to admit it, but a year later and not much progress.  

Frame painted semi-gloss black.

Changed front tires/wheels 

large.20161119_144230.jpg

Sand blasted, body worked the sheet metal. What a pain, ton of dents, welded up 9 holes in the hood. Originally primed it in some really old dp90 that never dried, stripped it again.... Spayed it today in Case B17564 with hardener/acetone.  Got some fisheyes and had to walk away, I'll assess it better when I calm down some.

large.20161119_143546.jpg

Edited by Thor27
spelling (or lack of)
  • Like 1

ohiofarmer
10 hours ago, Thor27 said:

Hate to admit it, but a year later and not much progress.  

Frame painted semi-gloss black.

Changed front tires/wheels 

large.20161119_144230.jpg

Sand blasted, body worked the sheet metal. What a pain, ton of dents, welded up 9 holes in the hood. Originally primed it in some really old dp90 that never dried, stripped it again.... Spayed it today in Case B17564 with hardener/acetone.  Got some fisheyes and had to walk away, I'll assess it better when I calm down some.

large.20161119_143546.jpg

Fish-eyes really are a bummer. I have had the best luck with Rustoleum and you can also use hardener with that. What you might try is to wet sand the paint down a bit and use JB weld as filler in the little fisheye pits. Hopefully you have some of the fisheye in a small panel that you can try it out on before doing anything on the hood....Here is another way to possibly fix the fish eye problem

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1107rc-quick-fix-for-fisheyes/#1107rc-01-z-quick-fix-for-fisheyes

• Like 2

Thor27

Thank you!   In hind sight I know what I did wrong. These sat in primer far too long and I have run my smokey old 2 stroke quad in the garage. This was totally preventable

953 nut
9 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

What you might try is to wet sand the paint down a bit and use JB weld as filler in the little fisheye pits.

:twocents-02cents:            Not too sure if that would be a good idea. The two dissimilar materials will expand and contract at different rates with temperature change (sitting out in the sun etc.). Your best bet is to sand everything smooth, shoot it with a good primer sealer and then finish coat it all. If you can use a spray gun then an acrylic enamel with catalyzed hardener will produce the best results.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Thanks for the insight

Edited by ohiofarmer

HorseHead1089

lookin beastly! you are basically making what I was going to make before I changed direction. looks fantastic though!

• Like 1