Sign in to follow this  
james

headlights on 551

james

not sure exactly what i can do, i want to put a headlight bar on my 551. I plan on making a headlight bar with a bumper/ brush guard on it or just a light bar. i know where i can mount the battery but how can i keep the battery charged? I don't have a charging system on this tractor and want to make it as basic as possible. any ideas?

HorseFixer

If it is an Original complete 551 it should have a rectifier on the tractor and you should be able to run lights as long as you dont go CRAZY an put KC's fog lights on there. :D Just wire straight to the battery through a switch :hide:

james

unfortunately the tractor was left outside in our nice canadian weather in a farmers field for a very long time. the engine was trashed. the only usable thing ruined really was the engine. i put an ugly yellow 6.5 on it that works well and swapped it over to chain drive with a centrifugal clutch. so, there is no such thing as a battery or electric start anymore :hide: won't the battery and swith method kill the battery real fast?

Sparky

Well if you have absolutely no charging system and really have to use it at night your gonna have to charge the battery after each night use and after its fully recharged put the battery on a "Battery Tender" to keep it at full while its sitting. I would also get some real low wattage headlights to give you the most time from the battery. Dont bother with a red tailight.

Mike......

james

sounds like a plan. i'm going to try and find a decent sized 12v battery like from a garden tractor i guess and hook it up. if i come up with something, i'll share.

linen beige

You could always mount a generator, or even a small car alternator, on the tractor frame and turn it from a double pulley on the crankshaft. One pulley slot for drive belt, one for generator. Use the generator to charge a battery mounted in the toolbox ala 550 style and run the lights that way.

james

hmm....that actually sounds like fun...i get free parts from the largest auto wreckers around here. that means i'd have to switch it over to belt drive though :hide: is there something that will actually run straight off the engine itself like an electrical component that would run off the flywheel?

linen beige

I'd forgotten that you had changed it over to centrifugal clutch/chain drive. If you have enough space between the block and the inside of the clutch you could mount a single pulley to belt drive the generator, then mount the clutch outboard of that.

joebob

You could always mount a generator, or even a small car alternator, on the tractor frame and turn it from a double pulley on the crankshaft. One pulley slot for drive belt, one for generator. Use the generator to charge a battery mounted in the toolbox ala 550 style and run the lights that way.

then you wouldn't need a bigger battery to run the lights just one to keep the volts constant so your light wont dim at lower rpms