Sign in to follow this  
saguaro

Engine pto pully

saguaro

Is there such a thing? I've found a pully on ebay for a 1in shaft but I need a 3/4 in.

8e5c_14-1.jpg

sorekiwi

We discussed this a little bit in this thread: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5038&hl=

Seems like a 3/4" pulley is hard to find. I think my idea for a bush would work, someone could probably make one in about an hour. Let me know if what I wrote doesnt make sense.

clintonnut

A great way to solve this problem is to go to you're local bearing belts and chain store or etc. and get three sheave pulleys with a 3/4 inch diameter keyed shaft hole. Thats what i used on my RJ-58 and it worked great. The bushing idea will most likely wear out over time. Thats according to the way i use my tractors. If its not steel on steel forgettaboutit!!

I gave the bushing idea a thought myself but i had 10 horses on tap which would turn that bronze into swiss cheese.

Charlie

saguaro

Makes sence. I've not had any thing like this done. What your guess as to cost?

Matt

saguaro

Charlie do they look the same? I did'nt know whare to look for them.

sorekiwi

I gave the bushing idea a thought myself but i had 10 horses on tap which would turn that bronze into swiss cheese.

Charlie

Actually, I'd make the bush from steel, there is no relative movement here so there is no point in making it from bronze. It could even be made from drill rod and then hardened if you were worried about it.

My only reservation with the idea is that the key itself would be a bit shorter than stock, but then again it's still a very long key.

I would make the bore of the bush a very good fit to the crankshaft, and maybe loctite it (unless that would lead to assembly/disassembly issues with the motor), and the outside diameter a sliding fit to the pulley. I dont see a 6 HP Tecumseh tearing that up.

If you can find a generic 3 sheave pulley with a 3/4 inch bore, that would be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Just make sure the other grooves will line up with the deck or whatever else you want to run off it.

saguaro

Can I get some real good measurments of the drive pully? I need full lenght and outside dia in inches.

jerrell

:hide: Matt do you have a WW Granger store any where close,? I have taken pulleys and bearings there and they have thousands to choose from, always find one that matches or will work.

saguaro

Thanks! :hide:

Did web search have one in Wichita. I'll check it out.

saguaro

I still need to know diameter and length :hide:

sorekiwi

I still need to know diameter and length :D

OK, I went out in the snow to get a pulley to measure for you - you owe me! :hide:

IMG_1967.jpg

This is a 1" ID Kohler pulley.

OD is 2 1/2", Overall lemgth is 2.210". Backside to centre of 1st groove is .346", 2nd groove is 1.265", 3rd groove is 1.844".

Just a thought, unless you want to run a mower deck or other accessory off the engine, you only need the first groove...

Hope this helps

saguaro

Thanks Mike. will go with granger pulley. :hide: