stratostar250

Well, You Can't Beat Free!

stratostar250

I know it's not red, don't yell at me! :hide:

But, down the street from my house, I found an awesome oddball with a "FREE" sign on it.  I approached the house, and found the owner, he said he had it since new used it for 35 of the past 38 years, and that it owed him nothing.  It is a 1978 JCPenney 11Hp Garden Tractor.  After some research, I have found it is made by Murray, and is the same as a Murray 11/36 or a Sears ST/10 from the same era.  It smokes a bit, and needs a carb rebuild, but other than that, it seems to be a really stout little machine.  It has a Jacobson plow which the owner fit onto it, and it does have at least :wh: weights on it!  I may give it some work this winter to keep hours off of the horses! 

jcp1.thumb.jpg.5bfbb6c968d6d167a845bc62a

jcp2.thumb.jpg.e21ed97d95cc4d5e00ae0468a

jcp3.thumb.jpg.78ade9d21f4346466ddec867a

jcp4.thumb.jpg.92f43a340626015a00d2b095c

• Like 7

Sparky

And its got a super cool roll-cage! What the long thing stickin up off the back? A light pole?
Nice score for free!
Mike.......

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

It s hard to beat free , buy a can of red paint and let her rip

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES
Neat machine, even if it's not a :wh:...
wonder, is it Techy powered Tom?  
:scratchead:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

stratostar250

And its got a super cool roll-cage! What the long thing stickin up off the back? A light pole?
Nice score for free!
Mike.......

Yeah! :ychain:he said he used to bungee a tarp onto it.  and the long thing, he said he used to have a strobe light on top of it, if you look at the last picture, on that upright, there is a lighter socket!  But yeah, can't beat free! 

Neat machine, even if it's not a :wh:...
wonder, is it Techy powered Tom?  
:scratchead:

As much as you all know I bleed Wheel Horse, It really is neat-o!  I can't even find any pics of another one on google or anything, seems to be a real odd ball.  It has a 399cc vert shaft briggs on it, has a real interesting belt re-routing mechanism to route another belt horizontally to the rear end, which is a peerless rear with 4 forward and 1 reverse.  I read somewhere that it's the same rear end that is in some *cough* green tractors, but Murray and JCPenney advertised it as 11hp, while the sears with the same motor is a 10 hp :confusion-shrug: so who knows.

Edited by stratostar250
  • Like 3

stratostar250

@ebinmaine  I had to dig deep, but I found it.  A couple years ago, when I got it, I made a post here!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, stratostar250 said:

@ebinmaine  I had to dig deep, but I found it.  A couple years ago, when I got it, I made a post here!

Neat machine... thanks for finding the post !

• Like 1

Stormin

What does it look like now? Have you done any work/mod's on it?

stratostar250
13 minutes ago, Stormin said:

What does it look like now? Have you done any work/mod's on it?

It looks the same except I took the "cab frame" and the plow off the tractor.  I plowed with it a few times.  The plow was not made to trip over larger objects and when you wedged the tractor against stuff, the frame would bend really bad, and it didn't have the greatest traction either.  I haven't used it in a while, but don't really have any plans with it.