608KEB

How many Wheel Horses where MFG. every year?

608KEB

I was curious if anyone had a rough idea how many Wheel Horse tractors where produced each year? Lets take 1975 for a example year.

Retired Wrencher

I have brought this up before it seems to hard to find a good production #`s on some models but other models are available.I am sure some has the #`s you are looking for. Gary   B...

Wheel-N-It
Don't know the number, but do know it was not enough!:lol:
  • Like 8

trading1two

When i asked that question to Cecil Pond at the big show a few years back, he said " i have no idea, but when we made the move to the big factory, once we were in operation, we were crating one tractor every 3 minuets 5 days a week "

• Like 4

JC 1965

That sure sounds like a lot of tractors but I agree with Van. It was not enough.    :eusa-think:

• Like 1

608KEB

That's 160 per day. For a 8 hour shift. I wonder if the WH factory had more than 1 shift. Times 52 weeks were at 8,320 per year. I realize this would vary from year to year. 

Brian01

When i asked that question to Cecil Pond at the big show a few years back, he said " i have no idea, but when we made the move to the big factory, once we were in operation, we were crating one tractor every 3 minuets 5 days a week..

That's flat out movin' some horses! Awesome though

SylvanLakeWH

While it does not include production numbers, the back of the book "Straight from the horses Mouth" final edition has a comprehensive list of each model and implements by year. Very cool list and an excellent book.

CasualObserver

Production numbers are largely unknown. Build quantities are known for only a few of the smaller run builds, like the 754, the 1045, the 420-LSE and the 520-8. There are some speculative numbers about others based on beginning and ending discovered serial numbers, but at best, they're speculation. There's not likely to be any progress on this either. There is no incentive or justification for Toro to spend company resources (money or time) on mining such trivial information from the hand-written production records that they inherited with the purchase of Wheel Horse.

And yes, I've asked that question before to Toro. Just not going to happen.  They could give the numbers of their own production from 1986 through the end, but they're not releasing that info either.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Toro is the worst. Purchased a great company with outstanding products and finally shut down the name and product. American Industry at its best the $ comes first and the heck with the workers and product. 

GlenPettit

Every 3 minutes,   is 20 per hour,   is 160 per day,   is 800 per week,   times 50 weeks is 40,000 per year  (minus vacation time, break-downs, training, changeovers), is still a lot of Wheel Horses . . . .  For 25 years, that could equal maybe 1,000,000 Wheel Horses.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

Toro is the worst. Purchased a great company with outstanding products and finally shut down the name and product. American Industry at its best the $ comes first and the heck with the workers and product. 

Can't say I know anything about this but others have commented that Toro actually saved Wheel Horse for several more years.  It certainly is sad that such a proven piece of equipment and brand name has fallen by the wayside and then to see the crap that has filled the void is insult to injury, but...  It's not the only example.

SylvanLakeWH

Production numbers are largely unknown. Build quantities are known for only a few of the smaller run builds, like the 754, the 1045, the 420-LSE and the 520-8. There are some speculative numbers about others based on beginning and ending discovered serial numbers, but at best, they're speculation. There's not likely to be any progress on this either. There is no incentive or justification for Toro to spend company resources (money or time) on mining such trivial information from the hand-written production records that they inherited with the purchase of Wheel Horse.

And yes, I've asked that question before to Toro. Just not going to happen.  They could give the numbers of their own production from 1986 through the end, but they're not releasing that info either.

Sad... Seems to me they (Toro) would want to celebrate and play up the WH history...but then again, maybe the comparisons to their current products is not wanted...just guessing...