Ramanonos

GT1848 w/Briggs shows zero compression

Ramanonos

You may have read my previous post convincing me to keep 2 wheelhorses... I'm going to! I acquired a "Workhorse" GT1848 for an attachment package for my C-125, but i decided to keep both and restore the GT. That said, I need help getting down to some basics.

IThe GT has an 18HP B&S twin that was dead when bought but turned over with ignition. The old plugs were dirty and greasy. Flushed tank properly, sprayed carb and changed plugs as a first step and she fired up. Changed oil after. My 11yr old confirms the GT was very fast and awesome after an hour circling the field. --although the next day my mowing test showed lacked significant uphill power and stalled out several times and difficult to restart. Fast forward a week sitting. Now it doesn't start... Swapped battery and wires to be sure . Next, did a compression test. Not a single PSI in either cylinder. Huh? How did it possibly start before? Am I being dumb about the compression check? I simply pulled off a plug while other plug was in, full throttle on & choke off, 4-5 sec turn. With a car I'd pull the wire off between the distributor and coil and bank it off the block. But this tractor obviously doesn't have a disti. Just want to confirm my problem isn't operator error before embarking on either blown head gasket, valves, rings or all 3...

JackC

It ran fine and then all of a sudden there is no compression from either cylinder?  
Now that is interesting.
I would do a finger compression test next to see if I can feel anything.
If none, i would probably remove the front head and see how the valves behave as I turn the motor over by hand.
Then report back.

953 nut
:eusa-think:             If you have zero compression the starter should spin it over extremely fast, is this the case?

Pullstart

drop a capful of oil in the cylinders and retest?  doesn't sound like rings can go that quick, but it is a quick and easy test..

Pollack Pete

Maybe stuck  valves??? Had the same thing happen in an old engine that sat for years.Ran fine,let it set a few days,zero compression.The great gas we buy today somehow coated the intake valve stems with a gooey crap and the valve springs weren't enough to close them.I had to pull the intake valves and clean the stems on a wire brush wheel and clean the valve guides with carb cleaner.Good luck.

DennisThornton

Stuck valves is my first guess as well.

Marv

Agree on the stuck valves.
Marvin