98layinframe

Limited slip?

98layinframe

I'm new around here so hopefully this is the right area to post this kind of question.. since technically one of my 414-8's job is a "puller"  work horse.  I'm purchasing the 7443 hydro pulley to increase the speed a little bit for 2nd gear mowing and obviously a little more scoot in 3rd gear... but my main question is, I want to use this Tractor for pulling my project vehicles in and out of the garage and stuff around the property.  Is there a limited slip posi type carrier that can go in the rear end of this 414  to gain a little more traction?  Soon as I start turning around in the gravel driveway the inside wheel loses traction and that's it.  Definitely do not want to weld the axle solid since I make a lot of tight turns for cutting grass. 

Thank in advance, and if this isn't the right area please feel free to move it.

98layinframe

Anyone? Someone's gotta know if this is possible or not...

stevasaurus

Of course it is possible to put a 10 pinion, limited slip differential/ trany in that horse.  The #5073 would be the best choice because the brake linkage would fit with no modifications...and it may not be hard to find.  I don't know if you would solve your problem with one though.  It is not really a posi-traction, like a Pontiac, but it will help with what you are trying to do.  What may be better...put a good hitch on the front of that horse.  It is easier to push and pull something like a vehicle around.  Maybe the hitch and the #5073 is where you will end up.  :)

2013_0503c0001.thumb.JPG.8375aaa8a58d82a
2013_0503c0002.thumb.JPG.518e5ed8f810c68
2013_0503c0004.thumb.JPG.1b7499a67610c76
2013_0513d0001.thumb.JPG.15b0a15a20bbb77
2013_0513d0002.thumb.JPG.da83c74a111379c
2013_0513d0003.thumb.JPG.39eac36a9f04c96

• Like 4

953 nut

Steve, that is a first class hitch you have made, two attachment points, very nice idea. Your new driveway hasn't held up very well.  :text-lol:       :ychain:

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Steve, that is a first class hitch you have made, two attachment points, very nice idea. Your new driveway hasn't held up very well.  :text-lol:       

Richard, you're often good for a chuckle!  It was that yellow gravel that failed prematurely!

Is a nice hitch though!

• Like 3

98layinframe

This 5073 thing.. is that an entire rear unidrive unit, or something I'd have to open up my rear for?  I'm kinda thinking once I get my bigger ag tires and weights on the limited slip might not be to needed.

That's a pretty cool hitch design, I could easily fab something like that up and or kinda incorporate a push bar all in one.

• Like 1

JC 1965

The 5073 is an entire rear unidrive unit. Hope this helps.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

A good friend of mine, Shorts, made that hitch for me.  :)  It works fantastic can come off the horse in seconds.  Looks like I should shoot some pictures on the new drive way.  :)

• Like 1

98layinframe

The 5073 is an entire rear unidrive unit. Hope this helps.    

aahh ok thanks!  Yeah doubt I'll get that far into modifying this thing.... yet anyways. 

A good friend of mine, Shorts, made that hitch for me.    It works fantastic can come off the horse in seconds.  Looks like I should shoot some pictures on the new drive way. 

Good friend! Haha.  Is it from scratch or is the angle iron and mounts from.an old snow blade or anything?

stevasaurus

He got the steel from an old bed frame...here is the link to the thread.  :)

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/47635-pushpull-b-100/#comment-438983

I was going to tell you also.  If you are serious about getting the #5073 trans...Mike (racinfool40) just may have one rebuilt and for sale...send him a PM.  :)
The #5073 transmissions were used on most models from 1970 to 1973...like Raider 10's and 12's.

bmsgaffer

You won't even need the limited slip if you invest in some weight for the horse. These are awesome tractors, but they are very underweight for what they can do.

Fill the tires with rim guard or rv antifreeze and if that's not enough then put some weights on the wheels (cast or plastic), if that still doesn't do it then get some chains or ags if you aren't worried about pushing snow.

98layinframe

Very true, yeah I'm guessing my 30 year old turf tires are the biggest issue and weights the second. 

I'm on the hunt for some 12 x 10 wheels and new 24 x 12 x 12 ag tires.  I already planned to cut some more 1" thick 10" diameter steel plates out on the cnc to make some weights for front and back side of the wheels.

• Like 1