Michaelzz28

416-8 Kohler

Michaelzz28

I have a question I have a nice 416-8 with a kohler I believe it is a 1988 version I also have a nice 1100 eaton rear end what is the down sides putting the hydro rear end behind a kohler?

bds1984

None. I have a 520H with an M18 powering it now and it works great pushing dirt around. Swap away.

wallfish

No downside to powering that trans with a Kohler but swapping it into an 8 speed tractor will take some modifications.

slammer302

I don't see any down sides but i don't think i would swap out a good 8 speed in a nice looking horse. and another thing to think about is do you have the hydro lift to go with the eaton 1100 i defiantly wouldn't do it without the lift that is one of the main benefit of having a hydro in my opinion  

• Like 1

953 nut

If you have the complete donor tractor that the Eaton came from it shouldn't require too much fabrication, if not you will want to pick up a parts tractor. Need a bigger engine pulley, brake and shifter hook ups for sure, Trans. temperature sender and gauge and probably some other stuff.

• Like 1

Michaelzz28

I have the complete donor tractor I am thinking of just fixing it but the onan parts are way out there on price the donor is a 95 416h the onan on it just is tired it burn bunches of oil and surges a bunch I already tore it out of the tractor and tore it down needs bored and new rings valve seats look fine but to go threw it right it need bored and rings oversize pistons and new bearings the tractor is in good shape so maybe a engine swap from the onan to the kohler I have a 12 hp I can put back on the other tractor

JAinVA

Just out of curiousity how many hours on the Kohler?I just got an 88 416 8speed with over 1200hrs on the clock and the engine shows no smoke or lack of compression.
It to me runs to good to have not being rebuilt.Luck JAinVA

Michaelzz28

this one is low hours 253 hrs on the clock

253 on the kohler it runs great no problems with it the onan  on the hand has about 600 hrs on  it and when it was together it smoked bad

JAinVA

Sorry for the confusion, I miss read the post.The Kohler sounds like it is just broken in,253hrs,wow.Great score.Luck,JAinVA

bmsgaffer
@Michaelzz28

I have a complete Onan 20 horse for sale with zero smoke. Just needs carb cleaned out, oil drain tightened and you will be good to go. PM me if you are interested. Make me an offer.