Sign in to follow this  
jusjeepn

Another home built accessory

jusjeepn

After building the 60" dozer blade I figured the wheel weights weren't going to be enough ballast on the rear. I decided to build a little ballast for the rear. I started by welding these up.

012-1.jpg

I scrounged around and found these old three point lower arms and these 6" clevis'.

016-1.jpg

the pieces I fabbed are to replace the top clamp of the o/e dozer bracket.

019-1.jpg

The three point arm goes here.

018-1.jpg

This is how it looks assembled.

021-1.jpg

The ballast tray will be stolen from my extra disc. I still need to complete the brackets to attach it to the arms. I will be using the existing holes in the tray so I won't be altering it in any way. :hide:

022.jpg

That's all I got done tonight while the paint was drying on the blade. I'll try to post completed pics Wed.

kpinnc

As I said about the blade work- Very nice, and smart design! :hide:

Kevin

linen beige

'at's slicker'n snot awn a doe-urknob!

That it can all be removed with no damage to the original parts is even better!

jusjeepn

Well I finished it today!

005-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

It weighs in at 47 pounds and so far has been able to hold 350 pounds! I don't think I'll run it with that weight (me and the wife), but I know it will hold up great! :hide:

KyBlue

Great Job!!! :hide::D:hide: :omg:

sorekiwi

Good idea, and great job! :hide:

I have a tray similar to that as part of a plug aerator. This year instead of screwing around with cinder blocks, I strapped on 3x 5 gallon buckets (with lids!) and filled them with water. It worked really well, and you can vary the weight easily (as long as they're not frozen!!!). I still need to fab up a frame to strap them to better, but I think the concept worked :hide:

Else you could put a cooler full of beer back there :D trouble is it gets lighter as the day goes on....

stevebo

For my extra weight, I mount a metal rod through the draw hitch hole and add about 100 lbs of weight lifting plates then cover it with a canvas bag. It is simple and adds a lot of weight. Happy plowing ..

jusjeepn

Put some paint on it today!

004-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

009-2.jpg

Now waiting for sunday for the snow, Possible 3-5" :hide:

fretscha

Yes, that is a really good idea. I think i will build something like this too.

JimD

i made an apppointment with a patent attorney on monday. :hide::D very cool idea, thanks for sharing it with us, and nice fab work!

KyBlue

Well its sunday... Ya' gettin any of the white powdery stuff fallin outside?

jusjeepn

Yeah Scott, got 3" today. It was really fine powder this morning but after a couple of hours and a pot of coffee, it started to melt. When I cleared the drive it was perfect snowman making weather. My drive is double lane wide about 75 yards long and widens at the garage to 6 lanes. I could park about 20 cars all together. It usually takes about 40 - 45 min to clear with the standard 42" blade and no weight (except me). I cleared it today in about 20 min. with the 60" blade and the extra weight on the rear. No slippage until I tried to push a pile 2x the height of the blade and full width in the grass. If I had another 50 lbs I probably wouldn't have slipped at all. I didn't get any pics this time around cause the wife was sick today. I'll definatly get some next time around.

Pat