econo

mower deck

econo

would appreciate some help with mower deck on my 855. having trouble finding out the correct lubrication for the components. Notable the main (drive gears?) under the two covers on the deck. I have used bearing grease on these gears but does not last very long. there are two metal plugs similar to electrical knockouts. ???

slammer302

I just use red high temp grease and pack it full

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

econo

Thanks slammer302.  I may have been a little stingy with the grease

pfrederi

When you pry off the caps there will be a zerk fitting in the center of the spindle gear You may need to dig through the grease to see it.  Grease it heavily it will come out and lube the bevel gear.  Packing the whole housing doesn't get grease down into the spindle and its bearings as well.

• Like 2

econo

The manual will be a great help. Also I located the grease fittings and of course they were dry. Am concerned about the tooth wear on the gears themselves though. still operational but sloppy

slammer302

It can be hard to find one of those old decks that don't have lots of wear on the gears

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

qd-16

My WH dealer told me to grease those spindle fittings every time I mow with one of the gear-driven decks.