kingnothing71us

Snow Blade Scraper Blade Measurement Help

kingnothing71us

I'm finally back to work and can make a new scraper blade for my plow. Can anyone give me the width measurement and what size square holes are in the scraper blade? I know it's held on with carriage bolts but I don't know what size. I have the 48" plow and I have the hole layout measurements but was in a rush and didn't get the blade width or what size carriage bolts are used. If someone could give me these measurements I'd be very greatful. I'll post pics and let eveyone know how it works out. 

JC 1965

I assume you mean the wear bar at the bottom of the plow. It's 2 1/2 inches wide and is attached with 3/8" carriage bolts. Hope this helps.   :thumbs2:

shallowwatersailor

On  my 5xi snowplow, the wear strip is three inches high.

I have experimented with two different edges for use on asphalt and concrete. The first, I got a 1/2" thick horse stall mat from TSC and cut a strip that was 48" x 4". For the second version, I used a UHMW 48" x 4" x 1/2" strip. Both worked well without leaving marks that the steel edge does, and didn't wear down. The advantage to the UHMW was that I could still use it on dirt. I do five neighbors driveways non gratis so I don't want them complaining that I scratched their drive. 

Rubber Edge
DSCF9426.thumb.JPG.ef20962f35b2267ebc848

UHMW Edge
DSCN2922.thumb.JPG.0dd638f4df57ec281b185

• Like 5

kingnothing71us

Yes JC, thats what I was looking for. Thank you very much. 

chorusguy

OK.  Where did you get the uhmw material?

shallowwatersailor

I found a source on eBay last year for the 48" x 4" x 1/2" size for $22.00 plus shipping. I just checked and it is still available for the same price. The black is cheaper than white as it has some recycled material in it and not as smooth as white. But it is just as durable and they offer numerous sizes.

kingnothing71us

Here are the before and after installation pics. Perfect fit it was. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

grinchsr

GREAT idea using the uhmw.  I just ordered some because my wear bar does not have much material left and I already flipped it.

GlenPettit

Ohhh, do I ever like this UHMW–PE Wear Edge material:

IMG_0213%201_zpshppnicok.jpg

Still available from eBay for $22 (www.go2pop.com, POP Displays in South Bend, IN), got two of them for same $12 shipping, fast delivery, plastic is light.  Plowed my 7,000 sqft drive (asphalt & concrete) for 90 minutes, snow & hard ice and it had very little noticeable wear. I would expect 2-3 years from each of the edges. Material is very easy to drill, the 1/2"x4"x48" was the exact size, and the 5 holes drilled very easy, used Chrome 3/8" bolts.  I'm a strong believer and supporter of this UHMW–PR plastic as a plow wear edge.  Was even quiter than the old steel edge, but not quite as good on removing hard packed ice, but did get most of it while still frozen at 7am.

Think I may use the old wear bar or much larger washers instead, like 'Shallowwatersailer' did.

Michigan Glen

IMG_0215_zpsl8e4ce93.jpg

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

Tankman
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎37‎:‎45‎, chorusguy said:

Another source http://www.mcmaster.com/#1749k649/=zyg8dq

If you make the steel bar wider, double up the holes, twice the life.

Edited by Tankman

Bach-Ed

Tankman's suggestion is fine but I went thicker.  3/8 material instead of quarter.  I think it is reasonable to believe that will also give a longer life.  The price from my steel supplier wasn't much different.

woodchuckfarmer

Went to the weld shop and got a 1/4x3x48 flat stock steel, 8 bucks. drilled my own holes.

DennisThornton
On 10/15/2015, 9:18:25, shallowwatersailor said:

On  my 5xi snowplow, the wear strip is three inches high.

I have experimented with two different edges for use on asphalt and concrete. The first, I got a 1/2" thick horse stall mat from TSC and cut a strip that was 48" x 4". For the second version, I used a UHMW 48" x 4" x 1/2" strip. Both worked well without leaving marks that the steel edge does, and didn't wear down. The advantage to the UHMW was that I could still use it on dirt. I do five neighbors driveways non gratis so I don't want them complaining that I scratched their drive. 

Rubber Edge

UHMW Edge

How did you cut the rubber?

I would have thought that the UHMW would have been much longer wearing.

I've only gravel so I don't care about marks but I do hate ripping out stones and the rubber might help with that, but then I need to metal to scrape.  Ahh!  I need more WHs and more blades!  Oh! I already got more WHs and at least 2 blades.  So...  How did you like the rubber?

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

How did you cut the rubber?

I would have thought that the UHMW would have been much longer wearing.

I've only gravel so I don't care about marks but I do hate ripping out stones and the rubber might help with that, but then I need to metal to scrape.  Ahh!  I need more WHs and more blades!  Oh! I already got more WHs and at least 2 blades.  So...  How did you like the rubber?

I just used a disposable razor knife and a 48" straight edge to cut the strip. The UHMW and rubber edges have both worn well. The rubber actually did a good job of moving the melted snow like a 48" squeegee.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

WNYPCRepair

I picked up a couple of strips of UHMW, put one on today.

56649e9424a3e_plowplasticstrip.thumb.JPG

• Like 1