Pmauoo

C-160 or 316/416-8, pros and cons

Pmauoo

Figure I would reach out to the most knowledgeable community for wheelhorses and ask, which do you prefer, C series or the 316/416.  

Aldon

I would prefer the C160 as it was Kohler powered.

The 316-8 is pretty scarce and may be limited to UK.

If Onan Power is ok by you, then the 416-8 has some upgrades that might make it a smidge more appealing to you.

If it were me, I would find a tired 400 series tractor and find a fresh K341 and violla. 

nylyon

Depends on what you want to do with it.  In my opinion, the C-160 is such a pretty machine, however my Onan powered 416 is light years ahead.  Many of the basic parts are interchangeable, however the 416 seems much tighter than the C-160. 

Many will steer you away from the Onan, however my Onan has performed flawless.  I do keep it clean, and maintained, and it does require the occasional carb flush, but you can not beat the smoothness and power of this engine.

Both my C-160 and 416 are hydro's, but the same logic would apply to the 8-speed versions as well.

The early 416's are Kohler powered so engine wise it would be a wash.

Tankman

Got to go with the 416-8. Love the older Kohlers.

Christian_Plow.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

Racinbob

It really comes down to the engine as others have said. Kohler K-series, Magnum, Command, or Onan. If you strip the sheet metal off you'll find the same basic tractor. As the years progressed you'll find more little trinkets on them intended to protect those who change fan belts with the motor running :rolleyes: so they are a bit more complex with more to go wrong. That being said, I'm old school and my preference would be the C-Series with a K but that doesn't necessarily make them 'better'. :)

• Like 3

squonk

Older c series. Better sheet metal and a hood with a real latch IMHO.:)

• Like 2

leeave96

IMHO - if you can find a Kohler Magnum powered 416-8, you've got a sweet tractor.

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

My 416-8 is the go to tractor around my place for all of the "heavy lifting" and it's never let me down. The old Kohler Magnum 16 just keeps rocking along. Tough as nails and asks little more of me than some tlc in the form of routine maintenance.

SAM_1205.JPG

Edited by M_Bailey
  • Like 1

c-series don

Hard to say, I have a 416-h and a C-161Auto, and C-161 8 speed so I would say try to get both!!

• Like 2