dewdew

Auto or not that is the question.

dewdew

I don't want to sound like I'm giving up because it is impossible. for some reason I cannot let go of this tractor that seems to nickel and dime me as well as try my patiance time after time.  I just have this dream of one day driving around my lawn on a nice looking quality American made (MERICA) lawn tractor that makes my lawn look like wriggly field when I'm done but I think I've had it. I'm going to sell my. 76-d-160 and buy something more modern. Something I can just maintain not fix. So I ask of you guys what do you prefer and why. Auto's or manuals?

ps. I mow 2acers and need to clear snow. 

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:            I have always preferred a manual transmission,less parasitic power loss.
  • Like 3

boovuc

A WH hydro like the 520-H, 516-H or an Xi Wheelhorse with a minimum 48" deck. These will also blow snow very well. 

• Like 3

chip61

What Boovuc said!! I was never interested in an auto. I mow 4 acres where I have to change speed and direction often and my 314-8 does a great job. I got a C160 auto with 48" deck a couple years ago and after running it a couple times I really prefer it over the manual. The 16hp has enough extra power that I can still cut tall grass with little effort and it makes direction and speed changes so much smoother and quicker. I think it's a little faster than the 8 speed also.
These two older machines will cut circles around my father in law's 20hp cub cadet. 

• Like 1

JAinVA

I have both but have spent more seat time on the manual machines.I like either but  generally climb on the 8speeds.If you get a good one in my opinion you will have less
issues with the manual transaxle.I believe either is tough but the hydro may suffer more from lack of maintenance.Luck,JAinVA

elcamino/wheelhorse

I just purchased a c120a from Chip 61 which will handle the mowing ,I am still getting use to the hydro. So far it is working fine less stopping to change directions and a little better speed control. I  also have a 310-8 which I love. But I always preferred a manual Trans. If I could teach the wife how to drive a stick ( never going to happen) I would have straight sticks in all my vehicles . 

Aldon

The D series seem to be maintenance needy but perhaps that's just from my perspective.

I almost went the same route.

i got to same point frustration wise. 

It came down to a complete ground up restore or 1500-2k on a low hour machine. 

I ended des up going restore route.

But after I started restore I saw several on classifieds in the 3-500 hour hour range machines.

Almost went both:-)

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I would stack my 522xi up against most, its a pure brute. Eaton 1100 hi low range hydro, foot pedal control, and power steering. Its up to the task.

Glenn

• Like 3

JackC

I can't imagine using my D-160 as a mowing machine.
I use the Brute for pushing and pulling, snow, dirt, trailers, boats, docks you name it.
Their weight makes them one of the best snow plow tractors in the Wheel Horse line up.
My favorite mower at this time is my 520HC.
I will be using my 520Lxi next spring but will not put it into mowing service until it finishes it's snow blowing duty this winter.

Almost any Wheel Horse twin cylinder hydro tractor would be fine with me.
Besides the 520HC and the 5xi series, that includes the C-175, 417A, 400, or 500 series tractors.
I love the power and smother running of the twin cylinder engines and I like the convenience of the hydro.
I love the sound of the ONANs and they have the power and torque to drive all the attachments.
Some hate them as much as I love them. They are thirsty engines.
MY 8 speeds all sit in the barn unused.

• Like 1

doc724

I have two of each (hydro/manual).  They all have specific assignments, but here is my experience.

If you want to do something fast (mowing or spreading fertilizer) and still have a quality job, hydro is the way to go
If you are tilling-8 speed (as the tiller will actually push a hydro machine)
Snowblowing-either one will work just fine as you are not going fast anyway
FEL-hydro
Snow plow-only have experienice with 8 speed and I gave up the plow when I got the blowers

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

My mowing requires a lot of  trimming including around about 30 trees that have some raised surface roots.  The hydro speed control and the hydro lift really work well in this type of mowing.
Mowing a large unobstructed  lawn with less turning and trimming, a manual or hydro would work equally well.
Tilling and turning plow in dirt,   8 speed manual is a given.
Snow blowing and snow  plowing,  Hydro with foot control  is a must.    After using a hydro, I would never consider manually lifting a plow or blower again.

:twocents-mytwocents:

• Like 2

TDF5G

I grew up on my dad's manuals and have two 8 speeds of my own for mowing, pushing snow, grading, yard work etc.  I used the neighbors WH hydrostat a couple of times to push snow several years ago and I didn't care for it at all.  I felt like I needed a third hand, one to steer, one to raise/lower blade, one to operate the hydrostat lever, and one to adjust blade angle.   It was frustrating when lifting the blade and trying to ease forward and steer at the same time.  I didn't like the fact that releasing the clutch pedal would not move the tractor forward like the manual and I had to remove a hand from the wheel to use the hydro lever.  It was very foreign to me.  I'm used to the stick shift I reckon, and operating all the levers seemed more coordinated for me.  A newer tractor with the foot operated trans like the 520xi's, etc.,  would be better for pushing snow probably IMO.

I've never mowed that much with the automatic, but I could see where it would be beneficial for lots of stopping and backing up.  I just bought a '79 C121 automatic a couple of weeks ago and I haven't tried it out for mowing yet.    

Forest Road

I have a 522xi with loader and 1100 hours. Runs like a champ. I can only imagine it'd be a beast with a mower deck. By far the best built tractor to ever wear the WH badge.

Also have a 314h I use for mowing, 2 stage sno blowing, road grading and anything else you can imagine. With RS member Matts foot pedal kit I love this tractor. Without that kit I'd prefer an 8 speed.

Had 8 speeds and love em. They just can't compete with a hydro mowing and blowing snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Thinking about making one more mod to my 520H snow blowing machine.
 Left foot.....add a rocker pedal to control the lift
Right foot...is used for F/R motion control
Left hand.....   can then stay on the steering wheel  
  Right hand... chute rotation,  chute deflector,  coffee cup, and waving to the neighbors as I clear their driveways from inside the heated cab.   :banana-skier::occasion-snowman:

• Like 4

c-series don

Don't know what all the fuss is about hydros is, I have owned several over the years. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had a problem with them. I bought a brand new Work Horse GT-1800 Auto in 1984 and mowed commercially with it for almost ten years. I still have it with no problems. Hope I didn't just jinx myself but proper maintenance goes a long way. If you're going to mow the hydro is the best way to go.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
I'm pretty much an 8-speed guy. The hydros are ok but I'd rather change gears than change hydro fluid and filters. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I have more than enough maintenance to do ( on all my equipment combined ) without the added work of hydro maintenance on Wheel Horses. I have had a few hydro Horses but am happier banging gears LOL :auto-driving:
  • Like 2

Lost Pup

I own 4 WH tractors and can say after the general cleanup and initial repair they have been perfect runners. 
( 418 A , 418 C , 416H , 417-8)  Just picked up the 418C with my first loader purchase. They are outside covered most of the year leaving my unheated garage free as a workshop until the deep cold arrives. Two battery tenders rotated keep the batteries ready when needed. The 417-8 is the only ignition points of the four and after sitting say six months unused , outside they might need to be cleaned before use. Even the 417-8 has the electric lift so no manual lift at all. 

That said i only prefer the 417-8 when using the tiller, the first gear ( low ) max throttle  is just right for the garden. I prefer the hydros for the snowblower and plow. Both cut the grass as well but depending on the yard , a hydro might be easier to operate.

DennisThornton

I've read with intense interest because I've been riding the fence.  Still riding the fence but more willing to share my thoughts.  I've always been a manual tranny guy.  Could perhaps be because I've only had manual trannies up to now! :rolleyes:

My 520Lxi might convert me at some point but my 418H won't.  Unless there's a forward/backward pedal I'm still a manual guy.

• Like 1

rick

I use my 416H/48" mower exclusively for mowing duties. I use my 314-8 with a 48" dozer blade for plowing what little snow we have, plus ploughing and tilling the garden. My C-100 and 310-8 are backup/alternate mowers, with 42" and 37" decks, respectively. The C-111 with a 42" dozer blade is at my daughters house for snow duty.
My 8 speeds and I can't agree on a mowing speed, they are too slow in 1 Hi, and too fast in 2 Hi, when running at full throttle. My lawn isn't the smoothest, it is basically improved pasture. i have to agree, the twin cylinders are thirsty!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I've read with intense interest because I've been riding the fence.  Still riding the fence but more willing to share my thoughts.  I've always been a manual tranny guy.  Could perhaps be because I've only had manual trannies up to now! :rolleyes:

My 520Lxi might convert me at some point but my 418H won't.  Unless there's a forward/backward pedal I'm still a manual guy.

Have you checked out matt's foot pedal kit for your 418H? It transforms these old "stick" hydros. Put one on my 520H and its a whole new machine.

Down in the vendor section.
:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I've read with intense interest because I've been riding the fence.  Still riding the fence but more willing to share my thoughts.  I've always been a manual tranny guy.  Could perhaps be because I've only had manual trannies up to now! 

Have you checked out matt's foot pedal kit for your 418H? It transforms these old "stick" hydros. Put one on my 520H and its a whole new machine.

Down in the vendor section.

I have!  I think to truly appreciate my 418H it would be necessary.

• Like 1