Ramanonos

Decisions... Keep the C-125 or the GT1848?

Ramanonos

Today I bought a "Workhorse" GT-1848 for cheap just to get the snowblower attach. Came with a nicer 42" 3 blade side discharge deck (vs the

current beat up but very functional 38" rear discharge) that should mount fine on my C-125.

ebc3c65ebd76cfe9d17e1a68d879ee13.jpg

I don't have a lot of info on the Workhorse GT-1848. Not many out there. On the plus side the Workhorse has a twin 18HP briggs, hydro transmission and hydraulic lift (for deck and blower). Personally, the hydro-automatic and hydraulic lift are nice to have accessories. Other than that the geometry, PTO and attachomatic are the same. So it comes down to a Briggs vs Kohler... Which one? I like my C-125 a lot. I work it hard and the 12HP Kohler has performed flawless. So am I better off with the higher 18HP Briggs or 12HP Kohler? Anyone have experience snowblowing with a c-125 12HP Kohler vs 18HP Briggs? Can the c-125 handle the job? If so, next consideration is mowing with a 3 blade 42" vs the my current stock 2 blade 38". Does it not matter? It's raining now so otherwise I'd be doing a deck bakeoff in the dark :-) Looking for advice.

• Like 3

953 nut

I think most of us would agree that you should keep both of them. A 12 HP Kohler will run a snow blower with no problem and I have a personal preference for a rear discharge deck but that is just my opinion. Kohlers will last for ever, but the Brigs has been operating for 30 years +/- so you can't say it isn't durable. As you said, hydro and lift are great to have, guess you need to keep both!         :thumbs:

• Like 4

can whlvr

keep both,then you don't have to change attachments as much and you have a backup tractor,i would get a snow plough and then you have a blower and blade for any type of snow

• Like 2

Marv

Agree!!! Keep both.
Marvin

• Like 1

608KEB

I would keep both of them. It's nice to have a back up or two.

Aldon

That Briggs is no slouch.

i like more power and like both engines

i would lean towards the engine with most life remaining if I had to choose.

Both is always good.

slammer302

I would keep both but if were going to pick one it would be the C-125 with what looks to be a 42" RD deck in the picture you have posted

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JackC

Keep both. You will not need to change attachments as often.
You will always have one ready to go if the other develops problems.
After you have used both for awhile, if one has to go you will know which one.
You will need to maintain both with fuel, fluid changes, air in tires, batteries and storage, etc.
They are both great horses and they will enjoy each others company.
I do not see a lot of GT-1848s around.

kiotiken

I have a GT1848 and it's been a great machine. I really like the smooth running Briggs. As you get some time with that hydro you will be hooked. The hydraulic lift with a snowblower on it is awesome.

Like others have said if you have the room it would be nice to have both.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1926d29c50c98dfc41f2e3bf51c3d7ba.jpg94d361be20a7e864e41e6d3d30132a36.jpg

• Like 7

muz123

What they said! keepem both!

Ken B

Keeping both would be nice but if you CAN'T have both I'd take the C-125. It has proven itself to you and that is what it all comes down to...

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Keep both, but from what I can see from posts on this forum in the short time I've been a member, these WH's have a tendency to reproduce like rabbits...Maybe separate stables...

• Like 4

bmsgaffer
:text-yeahthat:  What they all said, keep both.

And yes, that is a 3 blade 42" rear discharge deck attached to your C-125.
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Yeah, keep em both.    Then start looking for more storage space.  Cause when you pair em up, they will multiply:happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 3

Horse46
:text-yeahthat:

What they all said, keep both.

And yes, that is a 3 blade 42" rear discharge deck attached to your C-125.

I agree, keep both, and  I'm sure that is a 3 blade on the c-125.

857 horse

Just tell the wife  "" We 're gonna need a bigger boat "        Only sell IF  an upgrade come along.....Or be like us,,,,,,Im not gonna tell you how that ends,,, lolololol

Ramanonos

There it is. Keeping both! I've only had my C-125 one season and love it. The pic shows the side discharge 42" on the c-125 that I swapped off the gt1848. Gave it a spin on the c-125 and she cut grass nicely. The 1848 isn't in as good of shape. Rides fast and smooth, but cant seem to to handle the deck uphill without dying. Difficult to start. Carb looks clean. One plug looked soiled. Figure maybe rings or engine is bad. I'll give it a compression test this weekend.

• Like 1

953 nut
:woohoo:   Keeping them both, I knew you would come to your senses! Be sure to check the plug wire going to the "soiled" plug, a new wire and plug could be all you need.
  • Like 1

c-series don

I bought a GT 1800 brand new in 1984 mowed with it commercially for almost ten years. I still have it and it runs great. So with that being said, keep them both! 

• Like 1