yzf450motoxrider

520h with loader. What do you think?

yzf450motoxrider

Im probly going to be picking up a 520h with loader wheel weights, agg tires and weight box tomorrow. I'm just curious what you guys think.

The good:
Tractor runs good no smoke, knocking, doesn't bog.
Hydraulics work as they should houses not cracked no leaks, very responsive hours arn't to bad at 850,

The bad:
It was stored outside so its not pretty paint on hood is faded, tires have some dry rot. PTO clutch lever pops up and the clutch disengages if you hold the lever down it works fine.
The loader assembly is a bit sloppy and has some play, and there is some squealing when the bucket is curled down.

Overall it's 20+ years old so I don't expect it to be pretty. Price is around $1700

What do you guys think?

Thanks

• Like 3

KC9KAS
:WRS:
I guess if you figure the loader at $1000 to $1200, that makes a knocking 520 $500-$700.
Personally, that would be too much money for me to spend.

cheesegrader

The PTO clutch lever is probably just an adjustment, so no big deal.
Squeal is normal when you limit out a ram.  Noise from a bypass valve.
The tires are a problem.  You really need good rubber when you start carrying loads on a regular basis.
Plan on $400 to replace everything.  No cheap front tires...4ply or more.  THey take a beating.
The loader subframe can get loose if not tended to, so it might be as little as tightening a few bolts.
On the bad side, if it wasn't greased, or it was carring too much weight, the attachment points for the rams can wallow out, and bushings may be shot.
I would check the front wheels, make sure the steering and linkage are not badly worn ($3-400 to fix)
Check those hydro lines carefully.  Expensive to replace, and easy to ruin if left outside.
Also, run the transmission hydro pump when it is WARM to make sure it is still working well at operating temp.  Might look good cold, than lose power when warm.
All the back-and-forth with a loader can be hard on the transmission.
Loaders are great, but they can be a money pit if not cared for or abused

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Not bad at all...  :confusion-shrug:
for that deal, in our area. 
  • Like 1

boovuc

For a mechanically sound 520 with a working loader, it isn't too bad a deal. As was posted above, you really need to make sure the transmission is nice and hot before laying the money down. When they warm up, a bad tranny will lose power. Take it up a slight grade if nearby to make sure the rearend is good. Check the pivot points on the loader for wallowed out metal around the pins. These require welding.
One new item to add to the "watch out list"...............any Onan powered tractor that was left outside WILL be or will become an electrical nightmare. Make sure the owner hasn't played with the original wiring. After you get it, you will need to do some cleaning of the electrical contacts/plugs/connectors on that tractor. 

• Like 1

yzf450motoxrider

the guys driveway is very steep and about 150ft long. I'm going to load the bucket and run it up and down the driveway a few times. would that be enough to test the hydro? When I was there the other day it was running for about 20 min and the trans seemed fine. How long does the trans need to run to get to adequate temperature?

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Sitting still with the engine running it could take a long time.
I would ask him to leave it cold, so you can start it cold yourself.
Drive it around for a while, run the loader and bucket rams to look for leaks.
Play with the steering, or better still, jack up the front end (put the bucket on the ground, it will easily lift the front end) and handle the front tires and linkages to look for slop.
In the back, you can easily touch the trans case.  Once it is warm, drive it uphill to see that is keeps power.
I agree about electrical problems in machines left out.  I HATE electrical gremlins!  Check that all the indicator lights work.  Look for bypass wires around the relays.
I would also crawl underneath and look at the frame, where the loader attaches and where the rear end bolts up.  Frame cracks need to be welded/reinforced, and might be a hint about rough use/abuse.

roadapples

I paid more than that for my 74 c160 with ark loader. It would take a lot more to buy it today. But I bought it to use not to look at....well most of the time. Consider what others have said and how bad you want it. Loaders are getting harder to find. Mine stays here as long as I`m able to climb on it. If you`re handy the guys on here can help with anything you need. Good luck and welcome to Red Square! And we want pictures!

Edited by roadapples

elliot ness

Still a good buy, The 520 makes a great loader tractor, I have had a few of them and my current one works great and has all the power you would ever need.:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

S3700013.JPG

• Like 3

Forest Road

Assuming it's drivable and the loader works that's not a bad deal. The clutch can be adjusted.

Don't expect it to work as well as a 4x4 Kubota or similar tractor. But it sure beats a shovel and wheelbarrow any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

yzf450motoxrider

Well I bought it. Ill post pics tomorrow. The hydro is very strong. Very fast forward but slow in reverse I think the lever needs to be adjusted. The tractor frame is in great shape. The loader has one very poorly welded bracket no stress cracks though (Ill fix it eventually). It can lift a lot of weight. lifted me and 3 ret wall blocks at around 450lb with ease (however with the soft front tires very hard to turn with that much weight ad soft tires). It doesn't look nearly as good as Elliot's.

• Like 4

c-series don

Ok Elloit how did you get the loader and mower deck on at the same time? How do you run the loader without the blades spinning? I have to say it looks cool and I want to know how it works?

boovuc

Congrats on the buy! Just take your time on it. Micro-Compact Loader-Tractors are very unstable on uneven ground. With a load on the bucket, be careful on hills, slopes and uneven surfaces. And above all, have fun with it!

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Ok Elloit how did you get the loader and mower deck on at the same time? How do you run the loader without the blades spinning? I have to say it looks cool and I want to know how it works?

He's running the loader off the flywheel side. Build details here: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/58563-building-a-loader/  :handgestures-thumbupright:

elliot ness

I ran a pulley off the left side of the Onan so I have full time live hydraulics, and can still run the 60in. deck off of the right side with the clutch. I posted pictures of it 2 mo. ago I think I called it building a loader, you can look it up and see my steps as I built it. But I will say the deck gets in the way when you get serious about moving 20 ton of gravel. so I took the deck off. I only built it this way to prove a point.

cheesegrader

Nice buy!
Can't wait to see the pics.
You will find a thousand uses for that little loader.
500 lbs is about all it will lift.
Weight in the back helps some with the steering, but it gets really LONG with the weight box hanging off the back.
I loaded the rear tires, and added 88lbs of steel weights to each wheel, and that is enough counterweight to handle all but the biggest jobs.
Matt's foot pedal makes it much easier to work--hand drive control is just awkward with a loader.
Smorneau's 2" receiver is also a nice addition.  Makes taking extra weight on or off the back end a breeze.

• Like 2

yzf450motoxrider

Here it is. Not pretty but it works. Already used it to move gravel and dirt around, works great..tractor.thumb.jpg.c9fe1b0650a235fc37df0e

• Like 6

AMC RULES
Nice looking :wh: there...      :handgestures-thumbupright:
I see, like me... you need another shed. 

roadapples
Nice looking :wh: there...      :handgestures-thumbupright:
I see, like me... you need another shed. 

Yea, that's not quite gonna fit.

• Like 1

yzf450motoxrider

yea the shed is on the list for next year. The 314A takes up most of the space.

muz123

Sweet 520! Must be fun to use!!

Edited by muz123

yzf450motoxrider

its a blast! Looking forward to using it in the snow.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Looks great. Well worth it, in my opinion. 

bmsgaffer

Granted, its from far away, but that doesn't look nearly as bad as you described! Great find!