chrisagore

My first Horse

chrisagore

Hello,

I just bought my first Wheel Horse this past weekend.  My brother-in-law new i needed a mower and found it through a friend.  He educated me a little on Wheel Horses and told me this was a good buy.  I paid 500 for the tractor and it also came with a trailer and a bagging system.  I've got to go back and get the bagger this weekend.  I'm starting to research my Horse to find out all i can.  I know this is the '89 model.  I'm looking for advice on maintaining and a little restoration.  This thing has been sitting in a garage for two years.  It started right up and ran for a while, but then shut off.  I drained the gas and i'm gonna replace the fuel filter.  It ran great before it shut off, no smoke, no noises, blades engaged and ran fine.  I'm excited about this tractor and i'm looking forward to learning all i can about it.

1012151714.jpg

1012151714a.jpg

1013151753.jpg

• Like 5

muz123

Welcome and Very nice wheel horse!! I love the sound of the Onan engines!Now all you need is a blower or a plow and you will be ready to go for winter!! Also it was a good buy!! 
Dave..

Edited by muz123

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to the Forum ,you got a  nice horse for the price . 

CasualObserver

:WRS: indeed. I'll second that looks like a nice tractor for the price. A very capable machine. 

RedRanger

Looks to be in great condition.  Welcome to RS!  :rs:

Wishin4a416

Very nice Tractor and Welcome!

KC9KAS
:WRS: and nice WH! :handgestures-thumbup:

Bert

Very nice and :WRS:

tunahead72

Welcome aboard, nice tractor! :WRS:

You know you can get manuals on this site, right?  Check the "Downloads" tab at the top of the page.

953 nut
:WRS:    Your brother in law was right, that was a great buy. :thumbs:  While you are working on the fuel system I would advise replacing the rubber fuel line. The ethanol gas you get today will ruin the rubber. You should run non ethanol gas in any lawn equipment, go to buyrealgas.com, put in your zip code and it will tell you where to find it. I have found that adding a little "Seafoam" to the gas is a goo thing too.

Here is a copy of the operators manual.                                                                                                                  :text-welcomeconfetti:
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4367-tractor-1989-400-series-8-speed-om-wiringpdf/
  • Like 2

Digger 66

Five hundo ???? 
You got one screamin' deal .
You also joined the right forum .

Congrats & congrats !

Welcome to Red Square .:greetings-clappingyellow:

doc724

Drain the tank and clean it and install a new fuel line shut off valve (and bushing) in the tank.  This is in addition to changing the fuel line and Seafoam use as Richard suggested. 

Make sure the engine fins are not clogged and the engine breather may need cleaning as well.

Check the condition of the two 9 pin connectors (one goes to the engine, the other is up high behind the battery).  They are prone to developing open circuits due to resistive (I^2R) heating at the connections.  You can get replacements from Bob Maynard here on RS.  Also, check the fuse holder, another location for open circuits also due to I^2R heating and well as proximity to the rear cylinder.  All of these open circuits are the result of corrosion on the copper alloys.  The WH engineers could have used tin plated wire and terminals on all electrical connections, but for some strange reason they did not.  

Enjoy your Onan.  I like mine, but I also like the simplicity of Kohlers

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Welcome! 

As a fellow newbie, I can attest to Digger 66's comment - this forum is great for all things WH!

great group of people with excellent advice...

I would recommend becoming a supporter too. Just go to the "store" and click support. It's worth it...

Enjoy!

• Like 2

SethL1984

Excellent buy! And :WRS:

AMC RULES
I'm thinkin'...       :ph34r:
you must've been wearing a mask...
when you picked up that
:wh: pkg deal.  

:WRS:

WHX??

Everything you need to know about that girl is right here. I'd bet the ranch on that. There are some good folks here that really know their Wheel Horses. Some of us that's all we know! 

Please consider being a supporter, nice find and :text-welcomeconfetti:to Red Square 

Oh and by the way we love :text-coolphotos: here!!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

welcome to red square. good luck. btw. how many hours?

Glenn

JC 1965

Very nice tractor.     :WRS:

TDF5G

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wheel Horse!  I'm a new guy here too, just got my third one.  

Looks like you got a good tractor there.  Have fun with it!