three50seven

Best front tires for a snow pusher?

three50seven

What type of tire tread seems to work best on the front of a tractor used to plow snow? I only have experience with Turf-Savers, and I wasn't real impressed. Also, are front weights worth it?

bmsgaffer

tri-ribs will probably steer the best in snow, but if you need all around versatility without digging ruts in soft ground, get vredestein V61's (i am using V61's). They have multiple biting edges when steering and spread the weight out to not dig ruts.

Yes, front weights make a HUGE difference in being able to steer the plow when you are pushing hundreds of pounds of snow. This year I plan on loading my fronts with RV antifreeze (rears are already loaded) in addition to running front and rear wheel weights.

Tri-Ribs:
16_650_8_3_rib_front_white__14133.135178

V61's:
5_rib_white_bg__63158.1326903994.1280.12

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I'm curious as well but have no first hand experience to share, only tidbits from others.  I've read to somehow use a cable in the center of the tire.  I suppose deflate the tire, position the cable loop and re-inflate.  Now I'm not sure how to make the loop, not a smooth one without cable clamps anyway.  Maybe the crimp-on.  I think I also read about a chain loop used the same way.  That I could make!

Point is to have a center something to catch the snow and ice like the center rib catches and improves steering in a tri-rib tire.

GlenPettit

Tri-ribs for sure, and with weight.  Because:
(1)  Wrapping a 'bicycle chain' around a tire is similar (as Dennis said), but the ti-rib rubber is about 1" wide and 1" high and will "dig in" to the snow much better, and without scratching pavement (as Brandon showed in his first photo).
(2)  Steering Control = keeping the tractor straight or making a turn with minimum sliding is what the high-center rib does, and having a lot of weight in front to keep the tire down on & in the snow is what is essential.
(3)  Having the snow thrower or blade down actually lightens the front end/wheels and as the rear tries dig in to move the tractor, it also lightens/lifts the front end, again reducing steering there, thus the need for extra weight (in the wheels and/or hanging on the front).  With the implements up, we have great steering control because of the weight.  Good tires and lot & lots of weight at the back tires will keep you moving, the front weights will keep you from getting into trouble via steering control.
(4)  I do use Lug tires on one Winter tractor and Tri-ribs on the second, Tri-ribs are much better.  Also tire inflation as a noticeable factor,
use 20#psi in the Winter on both front & back, less rubber on the ground ='s more traction (and Winter temperatures will drop 3-4 psi anyway in them).

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

three50seven

Thanks for the input guys, looks like the tri-rib or V61 is the way to go. Does anyone but firestone make the tri-rib? They seem to be really pricey :eek:

bmsgaffer

Not that I have found for the 16x6.5-8.

You can get 4.0x8 if you get some narrower rims (or have an older tractor) and they are much cheaper.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

wallfish

#40 roller chain wrapped around the center of turf tires and it only cost about $20 - $25. (10ft piece with 2 master links) You can deflate the tires to easily remove them if needed. Might not be a good idea on a nice concrete surface but I use them on asphalt.  

• Like 2

can whlvr

I use roller chain also,from my snow throwers when I put new chain on them,it works great,we get ice build up here where I live,probally because I have gravel driveway

DennisThornton

I like that!  Already have the weights too!  Would love to see the other end and how you mounted the bracket/support/holder.  Would be going on my C-85 as well!

bmsgaffer

Just wanted to throw in a pic of the V61's mounted up, (sorry the garage is being reorganized):

2015-09-28_08.05.22.thumb.jpg.844d049893

• Like 2

AMC RULES
This is how I've made my horse steer better

I like that!  Already have the weights too!  Would love to see the other end and how you mounted the bracket/support/holder.  

:text-yeahthat:     :text-+1:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Just wanted to throw in a pic of the V61's mounted up, (sorry the garage is being reorganized):

2015-09-28_08.05.22.thumb.jpg.844d049893

your garage looks like my garage. Projects all over. lol

glenn

• Like 2

cheesegrader

I've used tri-ribs on my thrower tractor for two seasons, and the difference was huge.
The narrow central ridge gives the smallest contact area, and the highest force per square inch of all teh front tires I've seen.
They wear like iron, and aren't bad on a dry lawn, but I wouldn't want to make a bunch of turns in wet grass with them.

• Like 2

C-85

Hi Craig,

Here's a couple of pics of the front weight carrier :)Dec_2011_152_mod.thumb.jpg.66a00d95e3934Dec_2011_148.thumb.JPG.c576ca0f72c67148b

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES
Looks awesome...
I need one too.
  :handgestures-thumbupright:

DennisThornton

Yep!  I'll be looking for pieces of metal soon.

Thanks for the pics!

PaulC

tri-ribs will probably steer the best in snow, but if you need all around versatility without digging ruts in soft ground, get vredestein V61's (i am using V61's). They have multiple biting edges when steering and spread the weight out to not dig ruts.

Yes, front weights make a HUGE difference in being able to steer the plow when you are pushing hundreds of pounds of snow. This year I plan on loading my fronts with RV antifreeze (rears are already loaded) in addition to running front and rear wheel weights.

I bought a cheaper version of the V61's made by Carlisle for 6" rims and they are better then the turfs in the snow but they don't have nearly as large of ribs as the V61's so those probably work much better.

Brandon did you add tubes to protect the rims for the rv antifreeze or just pull the core and fill them up? I have been thinking of loading my tires this year.

@C-85 that's one cool bracket :handgestures-thumbupright:

bmsgaffer

I havent filled the fronts yet, but I plan on tubing them. For some reason one of my V61's  got a bulge right in the tread when they were first mounted without tubes. I dont know if the tire place over inflated them or what, but i dont remember the name of the place I bought them at the Spring Portland, IN show.

You shouldn't HAVE to use tubes as RV antifreeze is safe for metal, but the V61's are supposedly a tube type tire anyways.

I haven't gotten into my rears yet to know if they have tubes or not. I think they are filled with regular antifreeze, so I will probably pump them out next year and refill with something a bit more environmentally friendly.