pstlouis

PTO adapter???

pstlouis

I once heard wheel horse made an atachment that mounted to the front of the tractor to run a 540rpm farm tractor PTO.  Does anyone know about this?  And if so, any idea what price id pay for one or where to find it?

gwest_ca

pstlouis

Thank you!!! That is exactly what I am looking for.  I have a pto driven woodsplitter and I'd rather find an attachment to run it with than try to put on a motor or buy a new one.  I assume these are hard to find?

CasualObserver

I have both of them.... I take them out to display every now and then. Would love to be able to find or build some sort of small implement (like a mini belt conveyor/hay elevator) for demonstration.

8-3211.thumb.jpg.5e1a1e678ab28d14ad06986pto-66_1.thumb.jpg.c6a9045d2c98961b289a3pto-66_2.thumb.jpg.e87a36d4b8b0b577ab482

As for a price when you find them??.... Going to be up to you and the seller.  I've seen the asking price in the $150-250 range on either of them (on the rare occasion that one comes up for sale) 

• Like 3

pstlouis

Any chance you'd want to sell one of yours?  Lol

oliver2-44
front_pto.thumb.jpg.db8ebe1cece9e62c1125
I came across this picture of a front PTO on a later model Wheelhorse with a attach-a-matic mount when I was looking for ideas to drive an Ice Cream maker!.  Can anyone identify if it a true Wheelhorse attachment, or what brand it might be that someone modified to fit?
@Super Moderator-(Super Mod)  @gwest_ca-(File Mod)

CasualObserver
@oliver2-44 Any idea what website that picture was from, or was it just a google image result? I'm thinking it's not a US attachment if it is a mass produced item at all. Seems pretty crude in construction, made using convenient materials.

@pstlouis - not at the moment, but I have considered it. Never hurts to ask!

oliver2-44

It's actually been for sale on Clist in Des Moines Iowa, seller is in the small town of Newton.  I tried to buy it but the seller won't ship.  He said his dad past away and originally had 35 WH and he had 2 left for sale, I tried to get a friends relative to ship iy for me, but got a no-go on that avenue last night. Wish I knew someone in that area.

@CasualObserver-(Super Mod)  @pslouis 

pstlouis

@casualobserver   if you do decide let me know.  When I heard hard to find and high priced I figured it would be over the $500 line, $150-250 I would consider paying, I originally thought they would be in that ballpark anyway.  As long as your willing to ship, I do have a PayPal account!! Lol

bmsgaffer
@pstlouis Are you much of a fabricator?

You can find 5:1 gearboxes on fleabay pretty cheap, but requires a lot of careful searching (keep in mind HP rating is for electric motors, so they can take higher HP from gas engines)

To get 540 out you need approx 6.296:1 @ 3400rpm (to allow for some flex). The outside pulley on the PTO is 3.5" i think? Someone will hopefully correct me if that's wrong. Then you put a 4.5" pulley on the gearbox and thenfab up a mount for the front and mid attachmatic and you will be golden.

Since you will be USING this piece instead of collecting it like most people that have them do, I figured you could just get one engineered up instead of waiting to find a rare collectable one.

There is one at surplus center thats a 3:1 http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Gear-Reducers-Gearboxes/Gearboxes/OMNI-GEAR-LR-200-3-1-SPEED-REDUCER-251075-13-1564.axd and you can put a 7" pulley on it to get about 6:1.

82Caddy
front_pto.thumb.jpg.db8ebe1cece9e62c1125

I came across this picture of a front PTO on a later model Wheelhorse with a attach-a-matic mount when I was looking for ideas to drive an Ice Cream maker!.  Can anyone identify if it a true Wheelhorse attachment, or what brand it might be that someone modified to fit?

@Super Moderator-(Super Mod)  @gwest_ca-(File Mod)

That is actually for sale on the Des Moines craigslist with a location of Newton Iowa.

Posting ID: 5251411361

It's not a direct link, so it should be ok to post...

Edit:  Someone beat me to posting it's on craigslist.

Edited by 82Caddy