sdhdcouple

K301 electrical question

sdhdcouple

Well I have been having this problem with this tractor shutting down when it gets hot.  So it has been sitting most the summer.  I went out to get her running today and had no spark at all.  took coil, condenser and points from another tractor with a k301 that runs great and switched out 1 at a time to find the problem.  hit the key and she took off running, then died. 

here is where the weird issue comes to play:

So every year at our state fair we get this traveling tool guy who sales at the fair, and every year I buy stuff from him.  this year I got this fancy spark plug test light.  just like a regular test light except it plugs onto the plug and then the plug wire to the light.  when the motor is running the light flashes on and off as the plug gets it juice.  Here is the odd thing when I am cranking the motor there is no power to the plug, light is not flashing at all.  however the motor is turning and when I let off the key the last few turns of the motor there is spark to the plug and the motor fires off.

why is this or what is causing this

gwest_ca

Will guess your ignition switch has failed in the start position.

If you have an external round ignition coil next to the carburetor you have battery ignition. Use a voltmeter or 12 volt test light on the coil (+) terminal.
Turn the key to the run position and you should have battery voltage.
Now turn it to the start position and you should still have battery voltage powering the coil. Will bet you don't.

These switches all look the same. If you have battery ignition you need a switch with one terminal identified with the letter I (eye).

If you don't have the round coil post the numbers off the engine data decal so we know what you have.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca
  • Like 2

sdhdcouple

here is a link to the other post I had about the motor.  it has a picture of the motor plate

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/59157-k301-issues/#comment-547421

I checked the ignition switch, none of terminals hold 12 volts while you are turning the motor over.  guess I just have been lucky getting her going all this time.  well I guess I have to change that now

Edited by sdhdcouple

gwest_ca

I believe the original switch was part number 4988 and that was replaced by 7263 which is still available from Toro
http://www.partstree.com/parts/search/parts/?searchTerm=7263

Shop around as you can see Toro is very proud of them. It is a heavy duty switch that will take the heavy starter load.

Should look like this on the back
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1790-wh61-90-103-ignition-switch-1968-12hp-models-origpdf/

Garry

sdhdcouple

thank you, I start looking for one.   thanks again you guys for your help.

ya the one that is on here has 7 spades. 3 big ones and 4 smaller ones.  4 of them not being used.  Can see now is most definitely  the wrong one. 

gwest_ca

You should really post the model number of your tractor so we can double check that the 7263 is correct.

A question - Has someone added a starter solenoid by chance? If so you should get away with a less expensive switch.

Garry

sdhdcouple

it's a 1267 six speed.  I ran a wire from the battery to a toggle switch then to the coil.  By passed the switch al together. turned the key and the tractor fired right off.  drove around picked up the 100 plus sticks that have fallen due to the two days of high winds and then mowed for about 45 min.  tractor never stopped till I hit the toggle.  so this might have solved my other posting problem also.  Now I just get looking for the correct switch and see if it still runs when I get it in.

sure wish I could find a really nice deck that would fit this tractor, sure love mowing with it.  Afraid once I get the snow blower mounted it will never be a mower again.

0051.jpg

0034.jpg

squonk

Rig up a front and mid Tach o Matic like I did to my 1267 and you should be able to run a modern deck and mule drive

561d73619d697_skonk_hood__tail_002.thumb

Skonk_upgrades_3_001.thumb.JPG.179c04640

• Like 1

sdhdcouple

oh boy thanks a lot.  I have acquired over the summer the correct tach-o-matic front hitch.   LOL I hope it is all there I bought it back in July and never opened it.  will find out this weekend.  I think I post my deck question over in the correct area.